Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,195 times

Advertisements

Panama would be split in two halves, it would basically not exist anymore and its southern part would filled now by the northeasternmost point of Brazil...

What if the southern half of the American continent were rotated leftward this way?
in terms not only of weather but also of deserts, forests etc?
how would the winds change?how would the precipitations patterns change?
in your opinion, for your taste would it be better or worse than now?

p.s.sorry I meant South America of course, not South Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:30 PM

308 posts, read 225,492 times
ENSO perhaps? Since it would change ocean currents off the west coast of South America.

Other than that, I don't know.

Last edited by TheRealDavid; 09-06-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,060 times
Is this good enough of an approximation? (North Pole: 16, 67):

Old 09-07-2018, 08:59 AM

what does enso mean?
and what's that map?
I meand ONLY South America, not the entire world being rotated 90°...

Well. I start...
I think it's gonna look a bit like a bigger version of Australia
The Amazon forest would turn into Amazon desert, the Amazon river would be something like the river Nile or Niger, a stream of water surrounded by millions of acres of dunes

next?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Well. I start...
The Amazon forest would turn into Amazon desert, the Amazon river would be something like the river Nile or Niger, a stream of water surrounded by millions of acres of dunes
No... most of South America would still be more or less wet and tropical, considering most of it would still lie between 10°N and 20°S. There would exist a very hot summer desert in the high Amazon basin, though (from Maracaibo to Santa Cruz de la Sierra), and a Sahel-like region in between.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
No... most of South America would still be more or less wet and tropical, considering most of it would still lie between 10°N and 20°S. There would exist a very hot summer desert in the high Amazon basin, though (from Maracaibo to Santa Cruz de la Sierra), and a Sahel-like region in between.
I think Venezuela would be another rainless Namibia and the interior desertified like it is indeed Namibia and the interior of central/estern Australia, the latidude and the cold dry current speak for themselves.

While in the eastern part, the new Bolivia and most of Argentina, would be all savannah
the equatorial reagion would be of course super humid and rainy but it would a be tiny fraction, the part above the line that goes from Amazon river delta to Rio/Sao Paulo, more or less...

Columbia would be very temperate like it's today Cape Province but more humid in the Andes of course
and the rest of the southern coast very wet and cooler than its latitude, due to the presence of the Andes and the glaciers.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:59 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
well here are the currents.

so in your fictional map the currents around south America will be similar to those in Australia, so Chile would be a very cool place similar to Melbourne, but with less heat waves since the mountains would block all of that. And Argentina would be similar to eastern Australia.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Coriolis effect would still work, I'm very confident we'd see in Venezuela a sheer desert like Namib and in the Amazon former forest, at least a huge steppic region like in central Australia, west coast would be much drier than east coast, like it is in austral Africa and Australia, same pattern...

Old 09-08-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
what does enso mean?
and what's that map?
I meand ONLY South America, not the entire world being rotated 90°...

Well. I start...

next?
I mean, the way South America is in that map is a good approximation for South America in your map.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
well here are the currents.

so in your fictional map the currents around south America will be similar to those in Australia, so Chile would be a very cool place similar to Melbourne, but with less heat waves since the mountains would block all of that. And Argentina would be similar to eastern Australia.
BTW, how about the currents in this?: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...re-tilted.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather