Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,762,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Not easy evacuating from the home of an SJW liberal mother-in-law.
Just what the he!! does that mean? Other than that I feel very sorry for your wife - for having to tolerate YOU, not her mother.

Why don't people evacuate - where am I supposed to go? I have a limited income. I rarely drive. Driving a long distance (far enough to escape a hurricane and the torrential rains that get quite a bit inland and cause flooding) is pretty much beyond me. Unless transportation AND A SAFE DESTINATION is provided, I can't effectively evacuate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,372,496 times
Because people have jobs.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 PM

I love how the people who are so smug and say "You dont evacuate then you are an idiot," are 9/10 people who have never lived through a hurricane or live in hurricane proof zones. I grew up in Florida, went through a ton of hurricanes. Born a couple years after Andrew. I remember Katrina and Wilma as the most powerful in my lifetime. All of my close relatives live in Florida. They never evacuate. Now North Carolina has a more feasible geography for escape, but unless you live right on the beach, no need to evacuate either. And people have jobs and responsibilities. No one in my family evacuated for Irma. Both my parents worked the next goddamn day. My mom is a medical professional and my dad works on the port for a shipping company. Goods need to be shipped and people need to go to the doctor. Hurricane be damned. Y'all need to realise that not everyone living on the coast is on vacation. Add the expense of travel and the complication of getting family from one place to the next.

Plus, the worst danger of a hurricane is flooding. If you are not a severe flood zone, then the worst thing is power going out. Otherwise it's just wind and rain. Oh no, the power going out! Humans have lived without electricity for 99% of our existence, people can handle a couple of days.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I guess for me the issue becomes life vs. death. that simple. AGAIN, folks I've never been through it so please do not think I'm being snide, I definitely recognized that some things lack of experience makes you sound a lot smarter than you really are.

I do recognize that many times you evacuate and nothing happens but I also say to myself "what if". What if this is the one time they get it right? What is in my house or my business that I would sacrifice my kids or my life for?? Not a ding dang thing.

I saw an interview last night and a couple with two small kids are refusing to leave Myrtle beach and the reporter asked, what happens if halfway through this you need help and the women said "then we'll leave" and you could see the look on the reporters face what he was thinking.

I did hear that SC reversed the direction on the highways to the coastal area, they are all directed out of the area.

The issue is you are MANY times more likely to die from a car accident trying to evacuate then you are from a hurricane. Homes in the coastal Southeast are generally built to deal with hurricanes to varying degrees. Really, how many people really die from a hurricane? And then consider what stands out from those that died? If you are in a very dangerous zone then yes... leave! However not all areas are equal in risk level. Plus, its life. If you live life completely terrified of death then you arent living you are surviving. I'd rather weather out a storm as I have for the 20 years I lived in "hurricane alley".

Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,829,712 times
I haven't read all of the responses yet. I lived in Coastal NC during Hurricane Irene (2011). The Banks were evacuated but much of the coastal mainland wasn't- it was advised, but not mandatory. I know many people who evacuated regardless, particularly since the town was a low lying flood plain.

I worked in a hotel at the time, and was scheduled to be MOD that weekend. I, and other employees scheduled were told that if we didn't show up, we would be terminated. Due to the curfews which may have affected employees getting to work, a few rooms were set aside by the GM for employees to share, who were scheduled to work.

The hotel was at capacity- it was 20 miles inland so many of those evacuated from the Banks and Barrier islands came there. There was no power all weekend, or hot water and little food on hand. It meant a lot of angry guests and a weekend I wouldn't want to repeat anytime soon.

Thankfully, damage wasn't too bad.

At the time, my husband was deployed and I didn't want to risk losing my job, which is why I stayed put. Now that I have children though, I may think differently. When your job is on the line though, it makes it a hard decision regardless.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,596,726 times
Some people on this thread obviously live in some fantasy world where everything is wonderful and you won't lose your job because you don't show up. In the real world, as long as the business is open, they expect you to report for work. People who live paycheck to paycheck just can't decide they aren't going to work. The real world doesn't work that way.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM

30,180 posts, read 20,907,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Fine! Just don't call for help when you are up to your chin in snake-infested floodwater.
Don't have a cell phone joan and land lines would be out anyways at that point. Plus i love to catch snakes jake. If i am gonna go i just as well go out with a bang.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,612,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Don't have a cell phone joan and land lines would be out anyways at that point. Plus i love to catch snakes jake. If i am gonna go i just as well go out with a bang.
What is that bizarre rhyming affectation you are employing in your posts? It makes it hard to take you seriously.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:39 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,015,864 times
I've got 7 dogs and 5 cats. More than will fit into the two cars that my husband and myself would drive if we got an evacuation order. Not to mention the fact that monetarily we do not have the kind of money needed to pack up and drive a couple of hundred miles out of harms way.

I don't think we would have any alternative but to ride it out and hope for the best. Luckily I live in Missouri so the subject is moot. All we have to worry about is tornadoes.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:44 AM

30,180 posts, read 20,907,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
What is that bizarre rhyming affectation you are employing in your posts? It makes it hard to take you seriously.
Well like or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather