Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:36 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I don't know that I could ever leave. Fit, creative, resourceful....and feel like short of getting knocked out I can find a way to cling to life while I fight for my home.
You are delusional if you think you can fight a storm. What are you gonna do, put on your boxing gloves and go stand out and yell at the wind, "Come on, I can take it! You won't take my home you bag of wind!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I actually don’t think it’s mainly rich people who stay. In fact I think they’re more likely to evacuate because they have many more options of places to go. In Katrina, it was the poor that stayed because they had nowhere to go (shelters are awful) and no way to get anywhere.
Rich people have better access to education, experts and know how to listen to them. They are the first ones to leave. They don't care about material things left behind, that's what their wealth and insurance is for.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I would always go down with the ship. No way i would leave even if it was a CAT 8 nate.
Darwinism.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I really don't get it, why people don't leave. If you own a working car, leave.

If you don't own a working car, and you have no way to leave, you're stuck, as most of the Katrina victims were.

So we all understand, if you have no way to provide transportation out of a very serious hurricane area, you're going to be on the dole.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't get it, why people don't leave. If you own a working car, leave.

If you don't own a working car, and you have no way to leave, you're stuck, as most of the Katrina victims were.

So we all understand, if you have no way to provide transportation out of a very serious hurricane area, you're going to be on the dole.
Houston learned the hard way during Rita that evacuating can be MORE dangerous. You literally physically cannot put 6.5 million people on the road. 1 million is too many.

More evacuees died during Rita than people who stayed.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:03 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Darwinism.
That you are.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:08 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Rich people have better access to education, experts and know how to listen to them. They are the first ones to leave. They don't care about material things left behind, that's what their wealth and insurance is for.
Has nothing to do with experts are being educated. You have to remember people that live on the coast have been evacuated multiple multiple multiple times. 99% of the time absolutely nothing happens however they still won’t let you get back home for days. So next time they say evacuate it is very easy to say I’m not doing this again.

The bigger issue however is how long they make you wait into you can get back to your home after in evacuated. I saw a bar owner interview and she said I want to be here to see the damage right afterwards I don’t want to wait three weeks to be able to get back and see what I’m dealing with. After Sandy it was a weeks and weeks and weeks before they would let people go back even to get things.That makes people angry and reluctant to evacuate next time it’s called for.

It’s not about stupidity however no one makes this decision lightly. The people that are staying are weighing it and giving it thought and weighing pros and cons. I would evacuate for this, I evacuated for Sandy. But I will not say it was an instant decision and I gave it a lot of thought before deciding to simply because I’ve been evacuated multiple times before for nothing.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:11 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Houston learned the hard way during Rita that evacuating can be MORE dangerous. You literally physically cannot put 6.5 million people on the road. 1 million is too many.

More evacuees died during Rita than people who stayed.
Yes and these areas on the coast in South Carolina only has one road in and out no freeway

Old 09-12-2018, 05:35 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Has nothing to do with experts are being educated. You have to remember people that live on the coast have been evacuated multiple multiple multiple times. 99% of the time absolutely nothing happens however they still won’t let you get back home for days. So next time they say evacuate it is very easy to say I’m not doing this again.

The bigger issue however is how long they make you wait into you can get back to your home after in evacuated. I saw a bar owner interview and she said I want to be here to see the damage right afterwards I don’t want to wait three weeks to be able to get back and see what I’m dealing with. After Sandy it was a weeks and weeks and weeks before they would let people go back even to get things.That makes people angry and reluctant to evacuate next time it’s called for.

It’s not about stupidity however no one makes this decision lightly. The people that are staying are weighing it and giving it thought and weighing pros and cons. I would evacuate for this, I evacuated for Sandy. But I will not say it was an instant decision and I gave it a lot of thought before deciding to simply because I’ve been evacuated multiple times before for nothing.
I guess for me the issue becomes life vs. death. that simple. AGAIN, folks I've never been through it so please do not think I'm being snide, I definitely recognized that some things lack of experience makes you sound a lot smarter than you really are.

I do recognize that many times you evacuate and nothing happens but I also say to myself "what if". What if this is the one time they get it right? What is in my house or my business that I would sacrifice my kids or my life for?? Not a ding dang thing.

I saw an interview last night and a couple with two small kids are refusing to leave Myrtle beach and the reporter asked, what happens if halfway through this you need help and the women said "then we'll leave" and you could see the look on the reporters face what he was thinking.

I did hear that SC reversed the direction on the highways to the coastal area, they are all directed out of the area.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:35 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Haven't read through all the posts yet but wanted to respond to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
First let me say, I live in a relatively "safe" weather area, while we occasionally get a nor'easter, I haven't lived through hurricanes (we did have sandy) wild fires or any other natural disaster. So I totally don't know what's involved with storm preparation.

Anyway I'm looking at the news and people along the coast of NC and SC have been told to evacuate and there are always those who want to "ride it out". Seriously? I can imagine it's a pain to have to pick up and leave and the stress must be high but I can't imagine thinking you'd win a battle with mother nature. Isn't a Category 4 hurricane serious enough to leave?

I saw the same thing in California with the wild fires. You're looking at fire out your kitchen window and you want to stay?

Why?

I think those that stay know the risks; but they also know that once they leave, they may not be able to come back right away. That thought alone prevents someone from leaving. Not only roads might be flooded preventing that person from getting back to their home days later but authorities will block roads and prevent it too. It's a horrible feeling knowing the storm has passed and you just want to see how much damage is at your home. You want to start rebuilding but you cant.

Means of transportation is another reason. It cost money to drive and stay somewhere.

Storm chasing is another although I think that's a small percentage of people. And not every single home will be under 10 feet of water or demolished so those people may think their spot is fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather