Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following locales in CA, AZ, NM, & TX has best year-round weather?
CA's Central Valley up to Sierra Nevada Foothills (to 2,000' elevation). 10 43.48%
S.E. AZ (Santa Cruz & Cochise Co.'s above 4,000' elevation). 2 8.70%
S.W. NM (around Silver City at about 6,000' elevation). 4 17.39%
Lower Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville, TX to McAllen, TX). 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:05 AM

631 posts, read 561,822 times

Advertisements

Which of the following locales in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas has the best year-round weather in your opinion?

1. California's Central Valley up to Sierra Nevada Foothills (to 2,000' elevation)

2. Southeast Arizona (Santa Cruz County and Cochise County at 4,000' or higher elevation)

3. Southwest New Mexico (around Silver City at about 6,000' elevation)

4. Lower Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville, TX to McAllen, TX)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Lower Rio Grande Valley for sure. Best winters and can grow quite a few tropical plants outdoors.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM

631 posts, read 561,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Lower Rio Grande Valley for sure. Best winters and can grow quite a few tropical plants outdoors.
Can I ask, how are the summers there? I've traveled there... but only in November. It was ideal then. The tropical landscape is refreshing... palm trees everywhere, Norfolk Island pines, fuchsia bougainvillea, tropical hibiscus, papaya trees, mango trees, citrus groves. I really need to go there in the summer to see how bearable the heat and humidity are.

It seems that S.E. Arizona has a good climate... with much less humidity... so maybe more tolerable. But this depends on the individual.

I also want to take a trip to S.W. New Mexico... a reconnaissance trip... also less humidity and a bit cooler than both.

California's Central Valley / Sierra Nevada Foothills is also dry-heat in the summer... but it gets no rain all summer long. As an East Coaster and gardener, that seems very foreign.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm looking at all 4 places as potential moves... one day!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,993,966 times
If you like snow - Arizona
If you don't like snow - central valley foothills

Here's 2k feet (Madera county)

Winter photo

800 feet elevation (Tulare county)

400 feet elevation (Fresno county)

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 09-21-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Can I ask, how are the summers there? I've traveled there... but only in November. It was ideal then. The tropical landscape is refreshing... palm trees everywhere, Norfolk Island pines, fuchsia bougainvillea, tropical hibiscus, papaya trees, mango trees, citrus groves. I really need to go there in the summer to see how bearable the heat and humidity are.

It seems that S.E. Arizona has a good climate... with much less humidity... so maybe more tolerable. But this depends on the individual.

I also want to take a trip to S.W. New Mexico... a reconnaissance trip... also less humidity and a bit cooler than both.

California's Central Valley / Sierra Nevada Foothills is also dry-heat in the summer... but it gets no rain all summer long. As an East Coaster and gardener, that seems very foreign.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm looking at all 4 places as potential moves... one day!
I have been relatively nearby to the Lower Rio Grande Valley in August. I visited Laredo, TX which while slightly less humid can also get slightly hotter. It was at the upper end of my heat threshold but I managed fine walking around outdoors during the day as long as I kept well hydrated and had water with me at all times.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:31 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,993,966 times
Central valley[foothills] will likely be drier than AZ in the summer, actually. The central valley will also be warmer during the summer, but it's north enough to escape the monsoon humidity for most of the summer(southern AZ can't escape that humidity)
June and August arent bad(June is super dry) in the central valley. July is the only month where heat is a problem. Take vacations in July and you'll likely enjoy it.
Snow is pretty rare at 2k feet in the central valley.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 09-21-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Central valley[foothills] will likely be drier than AZ in the summer, actually. The central valley will also be warmer during the summer, but it's north enough to escape the monsoon humidity for most of the summer(southern AZ can't escape that humidity)
June and August arent bad(June is super dry) in the central valley. July is the only month where heat is a problem. Take vacations in July and you'll likely enjoy it.
Snow is pretty rare at 2k feet in the central valley.
True but Silver City is even better climate wise. Cooler summer, no AC needed at all.
Winters still mild. Only downside is remoteness, you either like that or don’t.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:44 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Feels more hot and humid than both Houston and S. Florida.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:15 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Lower Rio Grande Valley for me.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:15 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
I would go with the Central Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather