Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM

10,092 posts, read 9,901,050 times

Advertisements

The fall weather back east isn't really comfortable. Cold on a lot of the days, snow, grey skies, all around depressing. After early October, the weather becomes miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 04:34 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,876,237 times
Depends on where you live, where I live now a few blocks from the beach the weather is practically perfect year-round. There's one or two summer months when it creeps above 80, but barley.

There's pretty much no need for a/c or heat all year. Right now it's 70 with 60% humidity, and pretty much has been for the last month.

Coastal California can not be beat I tell you, and i'm from the East Coast.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:41 PM

30,119 posts, read 18,921,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Today and this past weekend in New Jersey, we had gorgeous weather. The humidity died down (it probably spread its wings and fled until next summer) and the weather feels tremendously different. We had typical Fall weather. It was extremely comfortable and made me so damn alive! It made me feel like a more lively person. When Fall comes, it makes me feel like it was the first time I ever felt different. Humidity is damn miserable.

Is the climate out West similar to the Fall weather of the East due to the low humidity?

I know Arizona obviously gets blazing hot in the summer, but to me, I would prefer hot desert heat over a cool 100% humid day in NJ. Cool, cloudy days with extremely high humidity are horrible and I can't breathe unless the sun comes out and dries the humidity out.
You need to define where you mean by "out West" because it varies tremendously depending on where out West you are talking about.

In Washington state (where I live), you have 8-9 months of cool humid weather and 3-4 months of perfect summer weather on the west side of the state and cold winters and hot but dry summers on the east side. For perfect climate feel, you have to go coastal California, that feels fantastic most of the year.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:11 PM

118 posts, read 118,888 times
I love the low humidity windy regions of the west. (At least, while I was visiting them.)
I don't think the east has anything like that. Or maybe I just don't know the east well enough.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:41 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,314,355 times
The climate here in Midland, Texas can still be hot this time of year so i think the Northeast would be better this time of year.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 AM

16,059 posts, read 10,652,114 times
My experience is moving from the humid, muggy summers of Missouri (and cold, snowy winters) to the high desert in New Mexico at about 5500 ft elevation. This climate is dry, sometimes single digit humidity, and sunny almost every day. The sun will be very intense at this elevation so a hat, sunscreen, and water are important. We have four seasons but winters are mild with only a little snow - some years none. Compared to Missouri, this is paradise. There might be a couple weeks of great weather in the Midwest each year while the high desert has exceptional weather almost every day. Our monsoon season is about four to six weeks in late summer so we might see rain nearby but not get any - or get drenched.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,939,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Today and this past weekend in New Jersey, we had gorgeous weather. The humidity died down (it probably spread its wings and fled until next summer) and the weather feels tremendously different. We had typical Fall weather. It was extremely comfortable and made me so damn alive! It made me feel like a more lively person. When Fall comes, it makes me feel like it was the first time I ever felt different. Humidity is damn miserable.

Is the climate out West similar to the Fall weather of the East due to the low humidity?

I know Arizona obviously gets blazing hot in the summer, but to me, I would prefer hot desert heat over a cool 100% humid day in NJ. Cool, cloudy days with extremely high humidity are horrible and I can't breathe unless the sun comes out and dries the humidity out.
Phoenix (where I stay) is super hot for super long. You can count on 100+ degrees for 4.5 months of the year, solid. At times expect up to 120 degrees. Many days in the 105-112 range. Monsoon season arrives in late June and the humidity soars. Its not uncommon to see 70% humidity coupled with high dew points which make it miserable! When its 108 degrees out, with 45% humidity and a 60 degree dew point, it feels disgusting. That's our summers. It doesn't dry out til the end of September, and here we are with temps still over 100 degrees. We get a nice break in October and November (about perfect), then December hits and it gets cold. Down into the 40s and sometimes 30s at night. Days are mild, though. Then March hits and you get a few 90 degree days already (dry heat), same with April. By May its a/c time.

I think you would enjoy some place like Albuquerque, NM. Its not nearly as hot, and has 4 mild, distinct seasons. IMO it has the best climate in the USA!

Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM

5,451 posts, read 5,678,312 times
It depends on the person. When I was in SF in September it was downright miserable. The weather is pretty warm, but that arctic windchill was a deal breaker for me. Coming back to NYC the weather was much nicer. And those day/night temp differences would be a killer too if you are not used to them. We don't have that kind of temp gradient on the east coast.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:34 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,505,074 times
The weather in Denver is amazing right now.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,527,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Phoenix (where I stay) is super hot for super long. You can count on 100+ degrees for 4.5 months of the year, solid. At times expect up to 120 degrees. Many days in the 105-112 range. Monsoon season arrives in late June and the humidity soars. Its not uncommon to see 70% humidity coupled with high dew points which make it miserable! When its 108 degrees out, with 45% humidity and a 60 degree dew point, it feels disgusting. That's our summers. It doesn't dry out til the end of September, and here we are with temps still over 100 degrees. We get a nice break in October and November (about perfect), then December hits and it gets cold. Down into the 40s and sometimes 30s at night. Days are mild, though. Then March hits and you get a few 90 degree days already (dry heat), same with April. By May its a/c time.

I think you would enjoy some place like Albuquerque, NM. Its not nearly as hot, and has 4 mild, distinct seasons. IMO it has the best climate in the USA!
The bolded isn't possible, 108 with 45% humidity would be an 83° dewpoint; 108 with a 60° dewpoint would be only 20% humidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather