Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How great would Florida/Gulf Coast summers be without hurricanes or tornadoes?
A 7 22.58%
B 9 29.03%
C 3 9.68%
D 4 12.90%
F 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times

Advertisements

i suppose you can use san diego as a baseline for this kind of what-if scenario
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 11:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default It's a matter of personal choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Imagine if Florida and the Gulf Coast never had hurricanes or tornadoes, and even tropical storms were very rare. But nothing else changes--same mugginess, same rainy summer weather (just not torrential enough to be called a hurricane). Same mild winters, same everything, just no hurricanes or tornadoes at all. On top of that, authorities have managed to built top-of-the-line, cutting edge flood control systems in every coastal city to the point where flooding is hardly an issue.

How good would you rate Houston, New Orleans, or Orlando's summer weather now, without any natural disasters? How much better would the Gulf's climate be.

To me, this would be an A++++++ climate. No property damage to fear of at all, just awe-inspiring summer thunderstorms and tranquil, breezy, sunny days with beautifully warm nights, perfect for watching concerts or fireworks in the park. This climate would be far far far better than what you get anywhere in California.

Having lived in Florida for many years I would have to say you become acclimated over time. The Florida summers are not for everyone just as lake effect snow isn't for everyone either. Personally after years of experience with a variety of weather conditions throughout the United States, I'll take Florida and its heat and hurricanes rather then snow and ice. It's a matter of personal choice some folks would rather have the snow and that is what makes the world go round. As for hurricanes or any other natural disasters it has a lot to do with preparation and research. An example of preparation could be as easy as knowing about building codes in your county and where the home you plan on buying stands in relationship to these codes and the homes possibility of withstanding high winds or high water by design. Also removing or trimming the trees which are going to fail in the next high wind event is a smart hurricane plan. Having the most objective and up to date news on a current storm and past historical tracks of storms may be great help on making hunker down or evacuation plans. Food water and gas reserves while power is off could also turn a weather event into something of a small inconvenience. The following is a link to a free weather tracker which is easy to download and use and it has more details available then any weather news broadcast you have ever seen on any television. zyGrib: grib file, weather data visualization Here's to all your future weather being a well planned non-event.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:40 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
The area with the "least" amount of natural disasters would be California. Yes, there are earthquakes, but it's been an awful long time since a big one hit.

While blizzards happen in Ohio every year.
I guess you're not including drought, forest fires and mudslides as natural disasters?

From CBS news.com: "Three of the top 10 cities in the U.S. least likely to be destroyed by a natural disaster are located in the state of Ohio. Tapping data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Forest Service and FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program, the real estate research firm compiled a list of the cities around the country with the lowest risk of being flooded, rocked by earthquakes, battered by hurricanes, struck with tornadoes or burned by wildfires."

Not one of these 10 safest cities is in California.

Last edited by Yac; 11-24-2020 at 01:29 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
i suppose you can use san diego as a baseline for this kind of what-if scenario
Not quite. San Diego has no humidity and absolutely NO rain during the summer.

I want to keep the humidity and the summer rain, but not the hurricanes/tornadoes.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I guess you're not including drought, forest fires and mudslides as natural disasters?

From CBS news.com: "Three of the top 10 cities in the U.S. least likely to be destroyed by a natural disaster are located in the state of Ohio. Tapping data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Forest Service and FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program, the real estate research firm compiled a list of the cities around the country with the lowest risk of being flooded, rocked by earthquakes, battered by hurricanes, struck with tornadoes or burned by wildfires."

Not one of these 10 safest cities is in California.
Of course drought, forest fires, and mudslides are natural disasters. But let's face it, most people in California have never been affected by any of them, except for drought (but we actually still have plenty of water during the historic drought). Whereas snow and ice in Ohio will cover the whole state, several times a year, and make the roads extremely dangerous and slippery to drive on. That never happens in California except for small towns in the mountains.

Weather's negative impact on everyday life is less in California than it is in Ohio.

Last edited by Yac; 11-24-2020 at 01:29 AM..

Old 10-16-2018, 06:04 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
I dunno, guess the main thing is you wouldn't'[t have to pay Hurricane Insurance or whatever the hell it is.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 AM

213 posts, read 174,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The cold fronts in winter would still be annoying. When places like Houston and New Orleans sometimes still get hard freezes and high temperatures in the 30s Fahrenheit, it's not a good subtropical climate.
You may have to exclude the deep south. Anyway Corpus Christi and Orlando would be soft and definitely subtropical.

I believe that without the hurricanes and tornadoes there would be a mass immigration from the north to the south of the country, even greater than that already found. I have the impression that Americans do not like the cold of winter. But if you consider that cyclones and storms are no longer the problem we would have to imagine the Gulf coast and subtropical Atlantic less hot. In August at most 25 ° C in the Gulf and 22 ° C in the Atlantic. Because high temperatures suggest the energy required for these formations in contact with the coldest continent.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
I dunno, guess the main thing is you wouldn't'[t have to pay Hurricane Insurance or whatever the hell it is.

I have a regular Homeowner's Policy with a $4,000 Hurricane deductible!!

Old 10-16-2018, 07:15 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
Quote:
Weather's negative impact on everyday life is less in California than it is in Ohio.
Much of this is relative to design, however.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauan Mateus Kubaski View Post
You may have to exclude the deep south. Anyway Corpus Christi and Orlando would be soft and definitely subtropical.

I believe that without the hurricanes and tornadoes there would be a mass immigration from the north to the south of the country, even greater than that already found. I have the impression that Americans do not like the cold of winter. But if you consider that cyclones and storms are no longer the problem we would have to imagine the Gulf coast and subtropical Atlantic less hot. In August at most 25 ° C in the Gulf and 22 ° C in the Atlantic. Because high temperatures suggest the energy required for these formations in contact with the coldest continent.
But what if the high temps stayed the same? I know it might not be possible, but what if?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather