Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:57 AM

575 posts, read 336,307 times

Advertisements

God, I love Montana. Just my second winter here, but can't wait till it really starts.

Got a first glimpse tonight, with windchill below 0 F (-17 C or so), so it officially stopped being just a regular Tropical Winter.

While far from real cold, the air is crisp, has a nice kick to it, all water is nicely frozen, the snow cracks properly, even frostnip shows up after half an hour and finally no bugs!!! I still couldn't believe how hardcore Montana bugs are. 30 F is not a problem for them. Must have taken Darwin to their hearts...

Should have recorded the long deep loud sigh of my husky when she lied in the snow and refused to move for 10 minutes, it's like as if she said "finally a normal weather"

Too bad it's so short, come March it's but a long forgotten memory, but let's enjoy it even if it's so short.

Here's to the approaching winter - may it be filled with dozen blizzards, sub -40F week-long spells and 10 feet of snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 10:21 AM

10,454 posts, read 7,563,580 times
Where are you at, Bozeman? Looks to be fairly cool there for the coming week, but no so much as Fairbanks.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,363,642 times
2nd winter? Okay, you can have a pass.... but skip on the "wind-chill/feels like" temps in the future. That's *not* the temperature. And while you might be the right kind that does enjoy winter, most start complaining about winter not letting up come April or so when mud season hasn't even started to show itself. So, I'd like to see a report back in 5 months about how you're feeling about winter.

Yes, the dogs, they do love it (at least until about -20F, then it gets cold on the paws without booties). This was a late snow from a few years back (the dog has passed on, no possible replacement for her):

FWIW, I'm a WY native, college in Bozeman, parents are in White Sulphur Springs (half way between there and Showdown) ~ a good bit of experience with the area/weather. I love the mid-winter days when the sun is out and you're outside in a t-shirt with temps in the 20's.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Where are you at, Bozeman? Looks to be fairly cool there for the coming week, but no so much as Fairbanks.
Nah, I'm about 45 minutes from Great Falls and about 45 minutes from Canadian border, it's a small village in the valley and right by the river, so I suppose that plays a huge role in our local climate, as in enforcing slightly colder temperatures.
Great Falls is usually warmer by 5-7 degrees.Often more than that.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
2nd winter? Okay, you can have a pass.... but skip on the "wind-chill/feels like" temps in the future. That's *not* the temperature. And while you might be the right kind that does enjoy winter, most start complaining about winter not letting up come April or so when mud season hasn't even started to show itself. So, I'd like to see a report back in 5 months about how you're feeling about winter.

Yes, the dogs, they do love it (at least until about -20F, then it gets cold on the paws without booties). This was a late snow from a few years back (the dog has passed on, no possible replacement for her):

FWIW, I'm a WY native, college in Bozeman, parents are in White Sulphur Springs (half way between there and Showdown) ~ a good bit of experience with the area/weather. I love the mid-winter days when the sun is out and you're outside in a t-shirt with temps in the 20's.
I can assure you I am the right type that enjoys winter. Yes, upper 20's are fine for tshirt if there's no wind.
I wouldn't mind having winter for 13 months of a year, but alas no such thing on this particular planet

Most people are complaining about winter in Jersey where I was last 5 years, and it would be a huge stretch to call those winters tropical, as they're warmer than that.

I grew up in a local microclimate in Europe which is almost identical to Montana, so if anything, in 5 months from now I will be angry, because summers are quite hot here. Can't have one extreme without the other, I suppose. At least it's not crazy humid as Jersey...

I am sorry about the dog

Old 11-08-2018, 05:09 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,185,224 times
God I’m so glad that I don’t live in Montana or Alaska or the northern plains states, I am barely able to handle the typical cold of an average Indianapolis winter; my long term goal is to move back to Subtropical Texas after graduate school.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
God I’m so glad that I don’t live in Montana or Alaska
Actually, Alaska is quite warm, relatively speaking.

It's quite hard to find some real cold places in Alaska that are both accessible by car and have a city within 100 miles for food shopping. I was doing a lot of research and it's much easier to find cozy cold areas in the lower 48.

By cold I mean at least -50F, few times in winter and hovering around -30 at least 4-6 weeks in total.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,433,781 times
Wind chills don't count.

But, I will agree with you that 0F is a bee-yoo-tee-full temperature, especially when coupled with a big snowpack to boot.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:34 PM

10,454 posts, read 7,563,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Actually, Alaska is quite warm, relatively speaking.

It's quite hard to find some real cold places in Alaska that are both accessible by car and have a city within 100 miles for food shopping. I was doing a lot of research and it's much easier to find cozy cold areas in the lower 48.

By cold I mean at least -50F, few times in winter and hovering around -30 at least 4-6 weeks in total.
Fairbanks and surrounding area is the only place in AK to meet your criteria. It would also give you two extra months of winter compared to Montana.

Although I can't relate, it's refreshing that you really enjoy that kind of weather, all of the time.

Maybe you could visit the southern hemisphere during summer months in the US.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 PM

6,653 posts, read 4,103,616 times
Reading this kind of stuff is to me like reading the exploits of someone engaging in a particularly gross perversion. While I don't have a problem with people who're OK with a Northern winter (after all it's nice to be able to be content where you're form), the mindset of someone who would actively seek out sub-zero Fahrenheit temperatures and thinks Alaska is too warm is completely incomprehensible and alien to me. But good luck anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather