Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

I don't understand them either. I grew up in New York, and started to hate snow and cold around the time I was 10 years old. So at 18, I made my escape for good

Old 01-20-2019, 01:00 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If you mean storms and snow in places that are not used to it and are not equipped for it then I get it.

I live with snow every winter and it is not just for a few days. We get around in automobiles, public transit, cabs and even walk and make it to work just fine. Seniors can travel to appointments the same way they do in any climate. Stores are fully stocked just like in summer and power outages are just as likely in summer.

I think a major issue there are simply the tires. Most people south of the Mason-Dixon line drive on all-season tires and would consider owning winter/snow tires and putting them on a waste of time and money.

Personally, I don't consider it worth it even here in the D.C. area even though you can expect a couple of snow events in the majority of winters. If it does happen it's likely to be a 'snow day' anyway (i.e. my employer closes for the day) and if not I can use public transit as well.

Further South like in say the Hampton Roads area, Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville etc. it would seem even less likely that anyone gets winter tires on their cars. Wet roads - for which winter tires are no better than regular tires - are the far likelier hazards there.

Of course, if there *is* a snow event ..winter tires can be the difference between going somewhere and not going somewhere, though at some point tire chains might be required (which of course no-one owns outside of historically very snowy regions either).

If you live in a location where most vehicles are equipped with winter tires between October and April..then indeed life will carry on quite normally during all but the most extreme snow events. But people aren't going to spend that money and time just to be prepared for rare occasions.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I love snow. It's beautiful and makes everything look like a magical wonderland. I love the crisp, fresh air. I even love shoveling. I'll never use a snow blower as I hate the noise, the smell of gas and the cost... I just use a shovel and can literally spend hours outside (not all at once, but multiple trips out) shoveling. It finally snowed in Worcester and it finally feels like winter to me.

Same. Shoveling is one of life's great joys, and one of the best ways to enjoy being out there in the cold & snow

Good workout for the back. Then it feels nice just to sit inside for a bit admiring the job well done, sipping some hot chocolate before going back out there.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:27 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I even love shoveling. I'll never use a snow blower as I hate the noise, the smell of gas and the cost... I just use a shovel and can literally spend hours outside (not all at once, but multiple trips out) shoveling. It finally snowed in Worcester and it finally feels like winter to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Same. Shoveling is one of life's great joys, and one of the best ways to enjoy being out there in the cold & snow

Good workout for the back. Then it feels nice just to sit inside for a bit admiring the job well done, sipping some hot chocolate before going back out there.
Same.. I even loved this today! Prefer snow over slush of course, but I enjoyed this. Better than being in a gym with people and their BO. Nice fresh air outside too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNzT11nHKUg

Last edited by Cambium; 01-20-2019 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 04:02 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Snow kind of saved my life last night, in an unexpected way!

We had a night snowfall last night, and after work I drove to Target. I was at a red light, and as it turned green I was about to cross the intersection when this a-hole RAN A RED LIGHT and sped on through. Because the road was snowy, I took longer to hit the accelerator than I normally would. On a dry day I may have been crossing the intersection at the same time this jack ass was running the red light. That crap brought my anxiety through the roof! Hate reckless drivers.
You know if there was no snow, he would've been able to stop right?

Old 01-20-2019, 06:01 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I don't really understand the snow lovers either. As a kid I lived in Cape Town, South Africa which doesn't get snow, but in winter snow would be visible on the mountains to the east for a few days at a time in winter. Sometimes the snow would settle lower down around Ceres rather than just on the mountains, but that was rarer. We would nag our parents to go and see it, but it had melted from the more accessible places by the time we got there so I'd never actually been in it.

Later we moved to England and got excited when we had the first snow fall. But the novelty wore off by the end of the first day what with how horribly miserably cold it was.

So I can see how snow can be a novelty, but I don't see the appeal of it otherwise. Just like going to Dallol and experiencing the intense heat and volcanic landscapes would be an interesting experience, but I wouldn't want to stay long.

You would die outside here a second outside the door if you think England is "miserably cold"

Old 01-20-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I thought everyone knew to look both ways before accelerating at an intersection?

I don’t understand the people who go as soon as they see a green light and wonder why they’ve been t-boned when all theyd’ve had to do was look left(right) and make sure the oncoming vehicle was stopping.

https://www.idefensivedriving.com/al...intersections/

I do when theres a lot of traffic, both vehicles and pedestrians, but when its nearly midnight and few people on the roads, ehhh, not really. Aside from this one car that ran the red light, only other car on the road was a dude driving next to me.

Either way its the fault of the person who ran the red light when it comes down to it. I have the right of way, not them.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If you mean storms and snow in places that are not used to it and are not equipped for it then I get it.

I live with snow every winter and it is not just for a few days. We get around in automobiles, public transit, cabs and even walk and make it to work just fine. Seniors can travel to appointments the same way they do in any climate. Stores are fully stocked just like in summer and power outages are just as likely in summer.

I've seen power outages in summer and fall rainstorms. Haven't experienced one in a winter storm yet. Thunder and lightning are more likely to lead to that than snow.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post

Agreed, it is satisfying to see it cleaned up even if it's occasionally back breaking work.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
You know if there was no snow, he would've been able to stop right?

He didn't slide, he kept driving. It wasn't a "oh snap I didn't break on time!" its more like "I'm a f***ng moron and I'm gonna keep going even though its a red light." The roads were barely even slick, dude. Nobody "slides" going straight at 45 miles an hour lol. Thats called "driving."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather