Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
That makes no sense. Snow all the time gets boring. Even I get tired of it by mid-April. Being a cold lover doesn't make you a heat/warmth hater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Wouldn't it be kind of boring though without a change in seasons?

Snow and cold are great--don't get me wrong.

Still, 12 months of snowmobiling and other winter sports would not be as much fun as the variety of different activities one can do with 4 seasons.
It makes total sense. If you truly love something, then you can't get bored of it. I love heat and sunshine and I never get bored of it. If I really loved snow and cold, then I would get upset every spring when it melted and I would have to wait months to see it again.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It makes total sense. If you truly love something, then you can't get bored of it. I love heat and sunshine and I never get bored of it. If I really loved snow and cold, then I would get upset every spring when it melted and I would have to wait months to see it again.

Again... no sense lol. I love shrimp... its my favourite food. But if I ate it 365 days a year, I'd get sick of it. Even water, which I LOVE water. Cold water to me is super refreshing and I usually will take it over most beverages. But even I get bored of drinking nothing but water, and crave a beer, or wine, juice or a soda. Even parents who love, as they should, their children, need a break from their kids lol. When I have kids, I'll love spending quality time with them but damn... at some point dad just wants to have some time for himself, have a night out with other-dad. Hell, I love my partner, but sometimes I need a night out with a friend. I love my mom, but hell no I wouldn't move back in with her, even if she lived in Minnesota. Same thing with snow.

Obviously its not the same with certain things. I can't go 9 months with no water, and if my kids are minors, obviously I can't go 9 months not even seeing them, but its the same argument. Loving something doesn't mean you want to constantly have it around you. And obviously this isn't a justification for an affair, thats a different topic and a slippery slope lol. But just cuz I love snow doesn't mean I don't wanna see flowers or warm weather.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Again... no sense lol. I love shrimp... its my favourite food. But if I ate it 365 days a year, I'd get sick of it. Even water, which I LOVE water. Cold water to me is super refreshing and I usually will take it over most beverages. But even I get bored of drinking nothing but water, and crave a beer, or wine, juice or a soda. Even parents who love, as they should, their children, need a break from their kids lol. When I have kids, I'll love spending quality time with them but damn... at some point dad just wants to have some time for himself, have a night out with other-dad. Hell, I love my partner, but sometimes I need a night out with a friend. I love my mom, but hell no I wouldn't move back in with her, even if she lived in Minnesota. Same thing with snow.

Obviously its not the same with certain things. I can't go 9 months with no water, and if my kids are minors, obviously I can't go 9 months not even seeing them, but its the same argument. Loving something doesn't mean you want to constantly have it around you. And obviously this isn't a justification for an affair, thats a different topic and a slippery slope lol. But just cuz I love snow doesn't mean I don't wanna see flowers or warm weather.
I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day and I dont get bored at all. Predictibility is comforting to me. That is not to say that I only like one thing but if I know something is coming that I dont like, I will try to avoid it or if I have to endure it, I will just be in a foul mood.
Certainly there are things in your life even if it's not the weather that you wish you could avoid but sometimes can't?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:

Yes, I agree. The onset of spring warmth is just awful.

I don't mind some warm days starting in May or June, but by that I mean 10 or 15C, with regular frosts at nighttime, and winter weather starting up again by mid September. And from Nov to Apr, I want -30C and colder.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Wouldn't it be kind of boring though without a change in seasons?

Snow and cold are great--don't get me wrong.

Still, 12 months of snowmobiling and other winter sports would not be as much fun as the variety of different activities one can do with 4 seasons.
It's not boring to me, and I've lived in Phoenix for 18 years now

Old 01-22-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Yes, I agree. The onset of spring warmth is just awful.

I don't mind some warm days starting in May or June, but by that I mean 10 or 15C, with regular frosts at nighttime, and winter weather starting up again by mid September. And from Nov to Apr, I want -30C and colder.
You realize that climates like that are usually only inhabited by oil companies because COL is through the roof due to having to import food (which won't grow in that type of climate) and the insane amount of indoor heating that would be needed....

Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 PM

^What's your point? Technology and innovation can solve nearly any problem in due time; you just need to get enough people interested:

https://www.businessinsider.com/anta...-center-2017-9

(For example, Phoenix wouldn't be a quarter of its current size without the advent of A/C, of which "an insane amount is needed.")

Last edited by Shalop; 01-22-2019 at 11:17 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
^What's your point? Technology and innovation can solve nearly any problem in due time; you just need to get enough people interested:

https://www.businessinsider.com/anta...-center-2017-9

(For example, Phoenix wouldn't be a quarter of its current size without the advent of A/C, of which "an insane amount is needed.")
We actually had 100,000 people here in Phoenix proper in 1950 (A/C was still not commonplace at that time). And irrigation existed for centuries, which allowed for farming here, thanks to the warm climate.

I also didn't mention the other problem with subpolar climates, is due to permafrost and muskeg, building infrastructure on the land is next to near impossible.

Again, there's a reason that true subpolar climates like you prefer are near uninhabited even today

Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 AM

^Nope, I disagree with you there. You never really addressed the technology thing (see link). The real reason those regions are so sparsely populated is not because humans are completely incapable of sustainably and comfortably settling them, but rather because those regions present relatively few political or economic advantages (and have low desirability), so there's no real incentive to even try.

(Though Siberia has tens of millions of people compared to 100 years ago, so idk what you mean by "uninhabited even today")

Last edited by Shalop; 01-23-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 10:37 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day and I dont get bored at all. Predictibility is comforting to me. That is not to say that I only like one thing but if I know something is coming that I dont like, I will try to avoid it or if I have to endure it, I will just be in a foul mood.
Certainly there are things in your life even if it's not the weather that you wish you could avoid but sometimes can't?

Yea, there's things like that... its called "debt" lol. And I'm not like you. I can't eat the same thing every day. Variety is the spice of life.

Like I said, there's certain things I'll never get tired of. If the love and respect is still there, I want to be with my partner til death do us part. However, even then we gotta spice things up in our life and the bedroom, or it becomes boring. And like I said, I enjoy hot weather as well in the summer. I don't constantly wanna be in a cold place. I like to garden. I like to swim. And fall, not winter, is my favourite season. Winter's a really close second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather