Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 05:59 PM

388 posts, read 211,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I mean I had fun while I was down there but I would never wanna live there. Also, they don't tell you that away from the coast, it is BUTT UGLY and a dry brown. It was greener in Minnesota than it was in California, and it was November!

West coast liberal pretentiousness isn't very pleasant either.
Melbourne, VIC is our very own version of San Francsico (albeit not as buggered); much to my fortune, however, it improves quickly as soon as you head northwards or westwards/eastwards.

Sydney is also rather nasty, but improves very swiftly after heading inland and/or up the ranges

Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 AM

26,808 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think the thing that gets me is the monochrome landscape, everything white. I just like more variety than that.
Most snowier places have lots of evergreens so the winter landscape is generally green and white with a bit of brown.

That is better to me than brown, black and that ugly yellow.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM

14,498 posts, read 9,407,590 times
The snow here is beautiful. Its beauty is in some part due to its rarity. Well, it's not exactly rare. But we may ten or fewer snow days a year. So it's nice to appreciate it when it comes around. Six months of it? Eh.. maybe not for me

Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 AM

7,728 posts, read 6,409,840 times
Snow kind of saved my life last night, in an unexpected way!

We had a night snowfall last night, and after work I drove to Target. I was at a red light, and as it turned green I was about to cross the intersection when this a-hole RAN A RED LIGHT and sped on through. Because the road was snowy, I took longer to hit the accelerator than I normally would. On a dry day I may have been crossing the intersection at the same time this jack ass was running the red light. That crap brought my anxiety through the roof! Hate reckless drivers.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 AM

1,503 posts, read 903,878 times
I don't really understand the snow lovers either. As a kid I lived in Cape Town, South Africa which doesn't get snow, but in winter snow would be visible on the mountains to the east for a few days at a time in winter. Sometimes the snow would settle lower down around Ceres rather than just on the mountains, but that was rarer. We would nag our parents to go and see it, but it had melted from the more accessible places by the time we got there so I'd never actually been in it.

Later we moved to England and got excited when we had the first snow fall. But the novelty wore off by the end of the first day what with how horribly miserably cold it was.

So I can see how snow can be a novelty, but I don't see the appeal of it otherwise. Just like going to Dallol and experiencing the intense heat and volcanic landscapes would be an interesting experience, but I wouldn't want to stay long.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:59 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,403,976 times
I love snow. It's beautiful and makes everything look like a magical wonderland. I love the crisp, fresh air. I even love shoveling. I'll never use a snow blower as I hate the noise, the smell of gas and the cost... I just use a shovel and can literally spend hours outside (not all at once, but multiple trips out) shoveling. It finally snowed in Worcester and it finally feels like winter to me.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,855,292 times
I like snow when it first falls and looks nice and hasn't mulched down into a compacted ice rink. We had snow here on the last few days, but it melted very soon and didn't accumulate - but thankfully, that means there is no compacted ice making it treacherous to get about. However, in an obscure town called Buxton, up at 1,000ft ASL (never heard of it til recently), they still have compacted ice everywhere and what with the hilliness, it would take 3-4 times longer just to go to the end of the road to get your groceries. Blech. Glad I live at lower elevation!

Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,649,481 times
Vancouver hasn't had really any settling snow this season and I am quite contented Winter is not over yet, so will see what happens. When it snows heavily here, I tend to get grumpy as it makes my commute to work as well as getting around in general more of a pain.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 AM

6,909 posts, read 7,649,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Snow kind of saved my life last night, in an unexpected way!

We had a night snowfall last night, and after work I drove to Target. I was at a red light, and as it turned green I was about to cross the intersection when this a-hole RAN A RED LIGHT and sped on through. Because the road was snowy, I took longer to hit the accelerator than I normally would. On a dry day I may have been crossing the intersection at the same time this jack ass was running the red light. That crap brought my anxiety through the roof! Hate reckless drivers.
I thought everyone knew to look both ways before accelerating at an intersection?

I don’t understand the people who go as soon as they see a green light and wonder why they’ve been t-boned when all theyd’ve had to do was look left(right) and make sure the oncoming vehicle was stopping.

https://www.idefensivedriving.com/al...intersections/

Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,359,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow. Is it the beauty of freshly-fallen snow. I get it, but that beauty is fleeting, like within a few days when the grime mixes in.

Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?

If you mean storms and snow in places that are not used to it and are not equipped for it then I get it.

I live with snow every winter and it is not just for a few days. We get around in automobiles, public transit, cabs and even walk and make it to work just fine. Seniors can travel to appointments the same way they do in any climate. Stores are fully stocked just like in summer and power outages are just as likely in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.