Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:12 PM

52 posts, read 40,384 times

Advertisements

Wikipedia now has a climate graph for Grise Fiord, the northernmost town in Canada, after several years of missing a climate graph for it. The town of Grise Fiord has 129 people and can only be reached by airplane (or by boat during the summer months). Grise Fiord is located on southern Ellesmere Island and therefore has a polar climate that is well below freezing most of the year. Another source says that temperature extremes have ranged from 72°F to -80°F and that strong winds are common. What would you rate climate of Grise Fiord?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grise_Fiord

If anybody in Grise Fiord reads this, please message me! I find the town very interesting given its location and uniqueness.
Attached Thumbnails
Grise Fiord's Climate-grise-fiord-climate.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Craptastic. 15% / F-.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:12 AM

50 posts, read 68,972 times
F+ but not worse, because as a Southern Ontarian it's perfectly fine 4 months of the year (albeit it's not my definition of summer), and hospitable enough for 6 months.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:56 AM

717 posts, read 452,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGandalf987654321 View Post
Wikipedia now has a climate graph for Grise Fiord, the northernmost town in Canada, after several years of missing a climate graph for it. The town of Grise Fiord has 129 people and can only be reached by airplane (or by boat during the summer months). Grise Fiord is located on southern Ellesmere Island and therefore has a polar climate that is well below freezing most of the year. Another source says that temperature extremes have ranged from 72°F to -80°F and that strong winds are common. What would you rate climate of Grise Fiord?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grise_Fiord

If anybody in Grise Fiord reads this, please message me! I find the town very interesting given its location and uniqueness.
I would have wanted to visit on the day it was 57F/13C with a sweater and chill out there

Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,417 times
No sunshine data so I can't rate it but the temps are great

Old 12-18-2018, 01:19 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
No sunshine data so I can't rate it but the temps are great

It's most likely around 1,400 hours. Arctic Canada is much cloudier than its temperatures would suggest, due to Hudson Bay low pressure.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:04 PM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
F. Complete fail. I would probably prefer Dallol over this climate.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:38 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
F. Complete fail. I would probably prefer Dallol over this climate.
I wouldn't. Grise Fiord DOES have seasonality and summers are at least semi comfortable.

For reference, my ideal climate has temperatures of about 30 F / 12 F (-1 C / -11 C) in the coldest month and 90 F / 72 F (32 C / 22 C) in the hottest month.

Dallol has very little overlap with this (an average winter day is about on the same level as a summer heat wave) and there's ABSOLUTELY no winter or even comfortable season, the seasons are "really hot" and "hell".

Grise Fiord's summers have average temperatures to my ideal March or November, and May and Sept-Oct in Grise Fiord are still like my ideal winter.

Grise Fiord is semi-comfortable three months of the year, and only really dangerously cold for six months of the year. And you know what they say, you can always put on layers but you can't take off layers.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:19 PM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I wouldn't. Grise Fiord DOES have seasonality and summers are at least semi comfortable.

For reference, my ideal climate has temperatures of about 30 F / 12 F (-1 C / -11 C) in the coldest month and 90 F / 72 F (32 C / 22 C) in the hottest month.

Dallol has very little overlap with this (an average winter day is about on the same level as a summer heat wave) and there's ABSOLUTELY no winter or even comfortable season, the seasons are "really hot" and "hell".

Grise Fiord's summers have average temperatures to my ideal March or November, and May and Sept-Oct in Grise Fiord are still like my ideal winter.

Grise Fiord is semi-comfortable three months of the year, and only really dangerously cold for six months of the year. And you know what they say, you can always put on layers but you can't take off layers.
Grise Fiord is semi-comfortable for two months and tolerable for another two months. The other eight months are unbearably cold. -5 C feels freezing cold to me so I can't imagine -30 C.

Dallol has comfortable mornings for most of the year. I have experienced 45 C (albeit low humidity) so I know what to expect during the daytime. In comparison, Grise Fiord reaches unimaginable temperatures for 6 months in my case.

Plus, lack of warmth and sunshine becomes depressing over time. And then there's polar night.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:40 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
F- and that is being generous, way too cold year round to be even quasi tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather