Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is heating or air conditioning more vital to human habitation?
Heating 67 87.01%
Air Conditioning 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:39 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times

Advertisements

The earliest form of heating was fire. Without fire there is no civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 01:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We're talking basic survival, not living the high life. Yes, you could do it, and with snow too (probably more easily than with ice).

Stranded in the middle of nowhere with no equipment during very cold weather, you'll die of exposure/hypothermia/freeze to death/starve to death long before you did of dehydration.
As a tangent, I mentioned I am an Eagle Scout so I have some tricks up my sleeve. I'll focus on the weather related ones though.

In very hot weather to prevent sunburns you cover yourself with dirt, the dirt acts as a sunscreen and it sticks to your sweat. If it's a hot/rainy climate you simply cover yourself with mud. It also protects yourself from insects.

In cold climates, if there is no way to light a fire but there is fuel (some kind of plants/trees) you can make a magnifying glass sculpted out of ice. Then you aim the magnifying glass at pine needles or other kindling. This requires sunshine so doesn't work well north of the Arctic Circle during winter when there is no sun or in cloudy climates. But it can work if no flint or other easily flammable material isn't readily available.

Basically you can survive in any climate except ice cap or tundra above the line of no sun. All hot climates are easily survivable.

Antarctica is the only truly inhospitable place.

I surmise that most people on here would have trouble with identifying edible plants, hunting animals, and purifying water supplies before they would succumb to death by heat/cold. They would most likely die of starvation or thirst well before that. Modern civilization has allowed less than hardy people to survive much longer than they would in nature.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Not really. All you need is a barn with a misting/sprinkler system. In Texas the cows here can bear 120F in the full sun with no problems. The pigs get hot but the farmers simply spray them down with a hose. Chickens in chicken coops/barns have large fans and misting systems.

Some animals are more hardy like cows. Other animals can't take the heat but water solves that problem.
That's current conditions. Another 10 degrees of warming would put the thermometer at 130F. A substantial part of the human population would die in a single day. Many animal and plant species would become extinct.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's current conditions. Another 10 degrees of warming would put the thermometer at 130F. A substantial part of the human population would die in a single day. Many animal and plant species would become extinct.
Um no. Right now the cows in Texas can bear 120F but it rarely gets above 105F. Record highs are like 112F. Expected temps are only going to rise 2C (~4F). 112+4=116F. Cows will be fine.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:43 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
There are millions of people around the world who live in hot climates without air conditioning.

There are zero people around the world who live in cold climates without some form of heating.

And people still think air conditioning is more crucial?
The key word is acclimatization. Humans can acclimate very well to heat over time, but cold acclimatization, although it exists, is more limited.

That being said, individual humans vary. I would be able to adapt more easily to a constant indoor temperature of 0 C, rather than 30 C. But if you make the comparison between -10 C and 30 C, I'd probably adapt better to 30 C.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I was going to say "you're joking, right?" Then I saw IT'S A POLL!!
I'm sure you've been lectured on the reason why this is a "stupid question" so I'll move along.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
The key word is acclimatization. Humans can acclimate very well to heat over time, but cold acclimatization, although it exists, is more limited.

That being said, individual humans vary. I would be able to adapt more easily to a constant indoor temperature of 0 C, rather than 30 C. But if you make the comparison between -10 C and 30 C, I'd probably adapt better to 30 C.
I experienced a 30°C indoor temp from June thru September for the 12 years I lived with my aunt here in Phoenix, who ran the air warmer to lower her electric bill to $200/month max. I handled it, could not do colder than 21°C for an indoor temp, unless I was bundled up all the time

Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I vote for air con. Needed it last summer here, and we don't have it
Your logic is ridiculous. You NEEDED air con where you live last summer and you didn't have it. Then by definition you did NOT NEED it. You WANTED it but did not NEED it. Looks like you live in England. So if you had to do without one or the other which would you do without, heating for air conditioning? As for the OP's question, I vote for heating, and it's not even close. Looking at all the places where humans currently live around the world, how many places is heating essential for survival as compared to places where air conditioning is essential for survival?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
People have lived in Egypt and Mesopotamia for thousands of years without A/C. Clothes don't work for extreme cold weather. You won't die from being exposed to a 40 C day outside.

Humans are able to adapt and become acclimatized to their weather.

Clothes do work very well in cold weather. Just ask me. I can work/play outside in a winter coat, a scarf, gloves, woolen socks and good quality boots. It's okay to walk to school in winters that can be -15C to -40C. I did it for years.

I hear of people dying from the heat in cities as north as Montreal and as South as California? I can easily hack 35C outside so I should be able to do 40 because I know how to adapt.

If you are prepared you can survive anywhere. People survive on Antarctica or in the Outback of Australia.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Humans are able to adapt and become acclimatized to their weather.

Clothes do work very well in cold weather. Just ask me. I can work/play outside in a winter coat, a scarf, gloves, woolen socks and good quality boots. It's okay to walk to school in winters that can be -15C to -40C. I did it for years.

I hear of people dying from the heat in cities as north as Montreal and as South as California? I can easily hack 35C outside so I should be able to do 40 because I know how to adapt.

If you are prepared you can survive anywhere. People survive on Antarctica or in the Outback of Australia.
Yes, but it will take more work and more suffering to live in continental climates without modern heating compared to tropical/subtropical climates without modern A/C. Fires are inefficient and quickly increase smoke, and even then it is still pretty cold if the temperature outside is well below freezing. You could also run into a shortage of wood.

Also, you could sure walk for 30 minutes in -30 C weather with enough clothing, but being exposed to -30 C for days on end is different. The cold builds up a cumulative effect.

Basically, Earth is naturally a cold planet so there are more places that are too cold without heat than places that are too hot without A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather