Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:06 PM

650 posts, read 450,044 times

Advertisements

Welp, I have finally made the move to a colder climate. Today it was 24F/-4C with a wind chill of 15F/-9C. I have lived in a warmer climate all my life, and I thought I could handle it. I have been outisde at 48F/9C in t-shirts without issue before. So I went out for a walk in that weather I described above (the 15F/-9C windchill). I was wearing a warm hat, a short sleeve t-shirt, a light fleece over the shirt, boxer briefs, jeans, some regular socks, and some high top shoes. No gloves though. I was outside walking for 10 minutes. The first of the 5 I was walking with my hands in the fleece pockets. Then after that I used my phone for a bit then my hands started to feel cold, weak, and numb I suppose. I had a hard time bending my fingers, and it felt weird going into my pocket. Then when I got inside after that, my hands started to get very red and they felt full. Does anyone else go through that? That temperature shouldn't be cold enough to do that to me. It is probably slightly warmer than average for this time of year here. Can I get use to this, or do I have Raynaunds or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 02:22 PM

895 posts, read 603,449 times
I don't know if you have Raynaunds, but never underestimate the cold. 9C is nothing compared to -4C. Loss of dexterity in cold temperatures is normal although I'm not sure about the redness.

You wore a pretty minimal amount of clothing for -4C. Such cold is just another world compared to above-freezing temperatures. But I guess you might also be very cold-tolerant.

I wouldn't worry about it unless if it happens repeatedly.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:23 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
I never get cold hands man. Sometimes cold feet pete.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Uh, yeah, just because you find that temperature comfortable doesn't mean the systems of your body agree. Walking around with no gloves in a -9 wind chill can give your extremities frostbite in a very short amount of time. You don't have Raynaud's, you have a normal human body that reacted like a normal human body at an extreme temperature.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:28 PM

650 posts, read 450,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
I don't know if you have Raynaunds, but never underestimate the cold. 9C is nothing compared to -4C. Loss of dexterity in cold temperatures is normal although I'm not sure about the redness.

You wore a pretty minimal amount of clothing for -4C. Such cold is just another world compared to above-freezing temperatures. But I guess you might also be very cold-tolerant.

I wouldn't worry about it unless if it happens repeatedly.
Might subtract the fleece for my coat, and add some gloves. I was wearing that at -11C and I didn't feel cold in my hands at all. Also, a few years back in high school for science or something, I put my hands in a bucket ice water, and it became intolerable after 40 seconds or so? So idk.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
Welp, I have finally made the move to a colder climate. Today it was 24F/-4C with a wind chill of 15F/-9C. I have lived in a warmer climate all my life, and I thought I could handle it. I have been outisde at 48F/9C in t-shirts without issue before. So I went out for a walk in that weather I described above (the 15F/-9C windchill). I was wearing a warm hat, a short sleeve t-shirt, a light fleece over the shirt, boxer briefs, jeans, some regular socks, and some high top shoes. No gloves though. I was outside walking for 10 minutes. The first of the 5 I was walking with my hands in the fleece pockets. Then after that I used my phone for a bit then my hands started to feel cold, weak, and numb I suppose. I had a hard time bending my fingers, and it felt weird going into my pocket. Then when I got inside after that, my hands started to get very red and they felt full. Does anyone else go through that? That temperature shouldn't be cold enough to do that to me. It is probably slightly warmer than average for this time of year here. Can I get use to this, or do I have Raynaunds or something?
I grew up in a cold climate back in New York, but have now lived in Phoenix half my life, and was recently up in Flagstaff, which is just as cold as NY if not colder, and I can't handle cold anymore. I need to live in a warm climate the rest of my life

Old 01-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I grew up in a cold climate back in New York, but have now lived in Phoenix half my life, and was recently up in Flagstaff, which is just as cold as NY if not colder, and I can't handle cold anymore. I need to live in a warm climate the rest of my life
Do n't know how you can stand living in a drier

Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Do n't know how you can stand living in a drier
I adapted to the low humidity my first year living here

Old 01-12-2019, 04:50 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Gloves can be helpful I guess. I start wearing them in the fall because I ride a bike a lot. That said I rarely have hands bleeding because of the cold anymore because it's generally too humid for that.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I adapted to the low humidity my first year living here
I could never take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather