Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these climates are subtropical? Choose all that are
Eureka 8 15.09%
Portland 3 5.66%
Medford 4 7.55%
New York City 9 16.98%
Philadelphia 11 20.75%
Lyon 9 16.98%
Lugano 10 18.87%
Trieste 24 45.28%
None of them 22 41.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Now that sounds like a classic bit of deflection - Washingtonias have gone from representing subtropical climates, to not reprenting tropical climates, and presumably because Washingtonias don't neatly stopping growing at summers below 18 C
Not really, I conceded that warm oceanic and subtropical are the same grouping but different climates.

Washingtonia's can obviously grow in warmer oceanic climates (if they are hardiness zone 9A+); but are native to the low desert of AZ,CA,Sonora and Baja California (and in these drier climes are hardy to zone 8B, hence they grow in Kingman and St George)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 12:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not really, I conceded that warm oceanic and subtropical are the same grouping but different climates.

Washingtonia's can obviously grow in warmer oceanic climates (if they are hardiness zone 9A+); but are native to the low desert of AZ,CA,Sonora and Baja California (and in these drier climes are hardy to zone 8B, hence they grow in Kingman and St George)
I don't see my climate as remotely in the same grouping as Phoenix- different genetics, different character completely.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Zone 9A extends from the Central Oregon coast to Tofino on Vancouver Island and you wont see any Washingtonias there. Why not? Because hardiness zone is only one factor.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:15 PM

855 posts, read 772,502 times
Quote:
Do you think my area is subtropical? -Washingtonia grow here, and plants will sprout from seed.

I think subtropical is best used to describe a spectrum where environments manifest the relative lack of cold, through flora and fauna - the longer the growing season, and the more species that can thrive due to the lack of cold, then the more subtropical a place is.
I agree with this. Basically, the native flora and fauna are the "ground truth" of what an area's climate truly is. Koppen, in my opinion, almost always gets it right. His categories very noticeably correlate to the types of plants and ecosystems you'll find in any given place.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:20 PM

855 posts, read 772,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Zone 9A extends from the Central Oregon coast to Tofino on Vancouver Island and you wont see any Washingtonias there. Why not? Because hardiness zone is only one factor.
Garden plants are a less convincing indicator. People water them, feed them, place them, breed them. The local flora is more illustrative. Also, why are Washingtonias this magical indicator of subtropical climate? You know they look terrible and sickly wherever they're planted in the Southeast right? They don't like humidity. They also would never natively grow along the California coast.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I don't see my climate as remotely in the same grouping as Phoenix- different genetics, different character completely.
Of course you don't, to you, every single place in the world has it's own unique climate

Old 01-25-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yeah, I think their northern limit is either Brookings or Newport on the west coast

Old 01-25-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Garden plants are a less convincing indicator. People water them, feed them, place them, breed them. The local flora is more illustrative. Also, why are Washingtonias this magical indicator of subtropical climate? You know they look terrible and sickly wherever they're planted in the Southeast right? They don't like humidity. They also would never natively grow along the California coast.
They don't necessarily like cold humidity. Their native habitat gets very humid in the summer (i.e. dewpoints between 20 and 25°C)

Old 01-25-2019, 01:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
I hadn't realized Lyon was that warm. I used to live in Geneva which is close, so I didn't even bother looking at the stats (just assumed it was oceanic as well). I guess I should have voted that one as well, though (along with NYC) it's more debatable than my other choices (Philly, Trieste, Lugano).

Old 01-25-2019, 01:34 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Of course you don't, to you, every single place in the world has it's own unique climate
It is you who claims that my town has a fundamentally different climate to Nelson - a town that I can see from my kitchen window.

I'm just saying that I don't see Phoenix and Motueka as variants of the same climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather