Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which regions of the world share similar vegetation and weather patterns common to the Midwest?
Eastern Europe 5 29.41%
The Australian outback country 2 11.76%
The Countries surrounding the Baltic peninsula 1 5.88%
The Forest-Steppe region of Russia 8 47.06%
The Pampas of South America/The Veldt region of South Africa 2 11.76%
Other region 5 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:50 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,189,702 times

Advertisements

I was just a bit vaguely curious as to which regions of the world share similar weather and vegetation to the Midwestern U.S., so I’m sorry if this question is a bit naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 04:59 PM
tij

453 posts, read 333,729 times
Manchuria also has a strong resemblance to the midwest climate wise, more so than these other regions...

The australian outback and the veld/pampas are far too warm to be comparable to the midwest imo.... maybe Texas?

Eastern Europe is probably a bit oceanic by midwestern standards, and also gloomy... The baltics have rather cool summers by midwestern standards, and places with those summer averages (far NE MN, UP of MI) have much harsher winters... the great lakes of the region might share some similarity with the Baltic, but the freshwater/saltwater difference is important imo...

The Russian forest steppe can be close to the Dakotas... Volgograd looks like Sioux Falls climatically.... but is a poorer fit for places further east in the region...

I personally think Manchuria and north korea matches best climatewise (especially to the Western Midwest states like MN) and for the eastern/snowbelt areas (like Cleveland), Hokkaido could work... but Japan has far more mountains than the midwest...

Last edited by tij; 02-03-2019 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 05:48 PM

5,659 posts, read 3,462,657 times
I have no idea what the right answer is but I can say that the Australian outback has absolutely no similarity to the US midwest.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:13 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,038,090 times
Parts of the Caucasus resemble the lower Midwest. The most similar non-Midwest climate to my own Kansas City that I have ever been able to find is Yerevan.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 PM
tij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
Parts of the Caucasus resemble the lower Midwest. The most similar non-Midwest climate to my own Kansas City that I have ever been able to find is Yerevan.
Nothing in Hebei?

Old 02-03-2019, 07:21 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,038,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
Nothing in Hebei?
Not with that crazy precipitation pattern!

Old 02-03-2019, 07:26 PM

371 posts, read 374,612 times
What you need is the Koppen Climate map. Google it (Koppen has an umlaut but this software doesn't seem to have one). Koppen classifies world climates into categories based on temperature, seasonal changes, rainfall, and several other things, enabling one to find the closest matches to any given climate world wide. It is the climatological standard. Here is one such map

As you can readily see, the upper Midwest most resembles parts of southwest Russia, while the lower Midwest resembles parts of western Europe and New Zealand.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:27 PM

895 posts, read 597,942 times
Either the area north of the Caucasus, East Asia, Central Asia, or Eastern Europe.

I may have to go with East Asia here because the other options don't have anything like the lower Midwest with hot and humid summers. If you think about the geography of North America and Eurasia, East Asia resembles the lowland areas that get more rain. The Caucasus, Central Asia, and some parts of Eastern Europe are like the mountainous inland west.

And not everywhere with cold winters and hot summers in East Asia also has dry winters. Look at Matsumoto, Japan, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoto,_Nagano#Climate

Although it is true that Rostov-on-Don is a better representation of Chicago than anywhere in East Asia, for example.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,899,193 times
Eastern Europe (Ucrania/Russia/Kazajstan plains), Northern China (Manchuria, North China Plain), Pampas (mainly central Argentina).

Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 PM
tij

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
What you need is the Koppen Climate map. Google it (Koppen has an umlaut but this software doesn't seem to have one). Koppen classifies world climates into categories based on temperature, seasonal changes, rainfall, and several other things, enabling one to find the closest matches to any given climate world wide. It is the climatological standard. Here is one such map

As you can readily see, the upper Midwest most resembles parts of southwest Russia, while the lower Midwest resembles parts of western Europe and New Zealand.
Be careful when glancing at the climate maps. Western Europe and NZ are oceanic Cfb climates and have considerably colder summers than the lower midwest, which might be the northern part of the Cfa region you are glancing at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather