Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,628,816 times

Advertisements

Yep, you can’t go out and install your own radar...unfortunately , federally controlled and spread out. So there’s only so many to look at so becomes which do you prefer to look at for how often updates & graphics presentation essentially. I like the app RadarScope as it lets me view different channels, if you will, of the radar. I can switch modes and view wind velocity, or see mist/drizzle that traditional apps/website radar pages don’t show, etc. (I do wish it had a better maps layer for city/roads though & wish it had a national radar map just to get a full image instead of only individual radar sites). So I use several radar apps to see what I want to see.

Sometimes you’ll see “ground clutter” on radars where its perfectly dry in region but around radar site for 30-50+ miles all around a radar site may see what looks like scattered rain/drizzle/snow. Its just picking up cranes, cell towers, birds, etc. and no precip actually there. The precip types a radar app/webpage shows (blue for snow, pink mix, green rain) are just programming on where that particular website/app uses to determine where freezing line is and may not be accurate and differ between radar apps & websites as well.

Here in the South (South Carolina) we get virga in winter typically, but can help with snow sometimes here too...so when its lite rain precip over us and dew points are very low so air too dry and evaporates before reaching ground (virga) then it actually creates a process called evaporative cooling which also lowers temps so our rain falling can turn to snow sometimes through this process!

Last edited by Psychoma; 02-14-2019 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 05:23 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
weather newbie here - I look at online weather radar maps - like right now, it is showing my whole area covered in blue (snow) for miles in all directions. And yet I look out the window and it is not snowing. And hasn't snowed. Other times the radar show clear and it is definitely snowing. So it is not measuring precip at ground level or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Hummm. Learn something every day. I wouldn't have thought that virga is a New England thing, only an arid southwest desert phenomenon.
Check it out. Storm coming in today and as usual, Virga first. Air is so dry as usually is in winter we need that atmosphere to prime up.

https://www.weather.gov/bgm/productText

NWS Philly.

Current radar and who's reporting what. Note no stations reporting snow north of my line but there is moisture falling through atmosphere (just not at surface)

Dewpoint is 10°F in Philly right now (dry)

The darker returns (dark blues and purples) should help prime the atmosphere better and so those areas under there could be seeing flakes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather