Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:06 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,039,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Would a person who likes cloudy skies, be justified in referring to somewhere like San Francisco, as cloudy during summer? - I think not
No of course not. Fed up with this sun percentage argument, specifically with you, who I knew would get in to this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Really, even in Santa Monica? Most of the year is below 70°F during the day. And that's warm not cold or freezing. Santa Monica has never gone below freezing.
Have you been to Southern California?

You are correct that the beach itself is rarely very hot (over 26C), and rarely very cold (under 5C) .

However, if you move even 4 or 5 km from the actual shoreline, you find that it gets noticeably warmer in summer and cooler in winter, very quickly. I am about 16 km from the beach, and our average highs in July, August and September are over 28C. The vast majority of Californians do not live ON the beach; most are in places much like this, or hotter.

It is a fair generalization to say that Californians, at least the southern variety, find temperatures under about 21C to be quite cool, and under 15C, downright cold.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
No of course not. Fed up with this sun percentage argument, specifically with you, who I knew would get in to this conversation.
This is why your viewpoint is subjective - subjective-ness in fine in weather preferences, but appropriate language should always be used with either subjective or objective statements.

It just basic written communication stuff.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Have you been to Southern California?

You are correct that the beach itself is rarely very hot (over 26C), and rarely very cold (under 5C) .

However, if you move even 4 or 5 km from the actual shoreline, you find that it gets noticeably warmer in summer and cooler in winter, very quickly. I am about 16 km from the beach, and our average highs in July, August and September are over 28C. The vast majority of Californians do not live ON the beach; most are in places much like this, or hotter.

It is a fair generalization to say that Californians, at least the southern variety, find temperatures under about 21C to be quite cool, and under 15C, downright cold.
Santa Monica usually reaches 31°C every year and falls to 5°C every year too. 21°C is hot not cool and 11-15°C is mild not cold. No I have never been to Southern California but I know someone who lives there and I want to go. I have never been outside of Europe.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Santa Monica usually reaches 31°C every year and falls to 5°C every year too. 21°C is hot not cool and 11-15°C is mild not cold. No I have never been to Southern California but I know someone who lives there and I want to go. I have never been outside of Europe.
You seem to be deliberately ignoring the point that people who are used to a certain climate feel what they feel, not what you think they ought to feel. I don't feel hot when it's 21C, and I do feel cold when it's 15C or lower. Sorry we're not all like you.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You seem to be deliberately ignoring the point that people who are used to a certain climate feel what they feel, not what you think they ought to feel. I don't feel hot when it's 21C, and I do feel cold when it's 15C or lower. Sorry we're not all like you.
Er, yes we are

Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Er, yes we are
Not everyone finds 25% of possible sunshine in a summer day, sunny - I would say most don't.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Er, yes we are
It would be interesting if you actually came to Southern California in, say, July, to see you sitting around wilting because it was 31C and "scorching," while the millions of locals carried on as though it were a normal not-too-hot summer day, which is what it would be. God forbid it was 35C or more. We get quite a few of those days, too.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not everyone finds 25% of possible sunshine in a summer day, sunny - I would say most don't.
If its over 5 hours per day then yes they would.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting if you actually came to Southern California in, say, July, to see you sitting around wilting because it was 31C and "scorching," while the millions of locals carried on as though it were a normal not-too-hot summer day, which is what it would be. God forbid it was 35C or more. We get quite a few of those days, too.
The person I know is from Costa Mesa, so I would only visit from November to May, or I would go in summer and go to Newport Beach during the day, just down the road. Newport Beach has delightful weather in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather