Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
The person I know is from Costa Mesa, so I would only visit from November to May, or I would go in summer and go to Newport Beach during the day, just down the road. Newport Beach has delightful weather in summer.
That's hilarious. Costa Mesa is out of the question from June through October? You really have no clue about the actual weather conditions.

I've lived in Orange County for nearly 50 years, by the way. For years I spent every Friday, all summer long, on the beach at Newport (Corona del Mar, to be precise. Lifeguard stand 5). At least half the time, typically all of June and half of July, there was a thick marine layer and no sun at all. Not as delightful as most people imagine. But then, that seems to be what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 12:41 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's hilarious. Costa Mesa is out of the question from June through October? You really have no clue about the actual weather conditions.

I've lived in Orange County for nearly 50 years, by the way. For years I spent every Friday, all summer long, on the beach at Newport (Corona del Mar, to be precise. Lifeguard stand 5). At least half the time, typically all of June and half of July, there was a thick marine layer and no sun at all. Not as delightful as most people imagine. But then, that seems to be what you like.
Yes it is out of the question from June to October along with many other places in the world that are too hot in summer. Yes I do know what the weather is like then. It has morning low clouds and fog followed by hot sunshine with very little rain.

Low clouds and fog are common in the morning in Newport Beach but the strong sunshine burns it away by afternoon. Then it's sunny and delightful. What you experienced is unusual weather. Delightful is sunny and 16-24°C of which Newport Beach gets all year. And no I do not like cloudy weather, I like sun.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yes it is out of the question from June to October along with many other places in the world that are too hot in summer. Yes I do know what the weather is like then. It has morning low clouds and fog followed by hot sunshine with very little rain.

Low clouds and fog are common in the morning in Newport Beach but the strong sunshine burns it away by afternoon. Then it's sunny and delightful. What you experienced is unusual weather. Delightful is sunny and 16-24°C of which Newport Beach gets all year. And no I do not like cloudy weather, I like sun.

May I repeat, you have never been there, and I have been there many, many times. I live in this climate. You don't know more about it than I do. Go to an actual Southern California beach in June and you may be disappointed to find that the marine layer doesn't always burn off by noon. It might burn off at 2 PM. Or 4 PM. Or maybe not at all. Maybe not for a couple of weeks.

Also, I wonder if you've ever experienced hot sunshine (over 24C) in a very dry environment. It does not feel the same as 24C in, say, England.

Last edited by saibot; 02-21-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:

May I repeat, you have never been there, and I have been there many, many times. I live in this climate. You don't know more about it than I do. Go to an actual Southern California beach in June and you may be disappointed to find that the marine layer doesn't always burn off by noon. It might burn off at 2 PM. Or 4 PM. Or maybe not at all. Maybe not for a couple of weeks.

Also, I wonder if you've ever experienced hot sunshine (over 24C) in a very dry environment. It does not feel the same as 24C in, say, England.
I know just as much about it as you, actually. If I went to a Southern California beach in June I would find that most days the marine layer burns off by noon. It could burn off at 2 PM or 4 PM, maybe not at all. No way it would last for more than a few days though.

I have experienced hot sunshine in a very dry environment actually. As recently as 26 June 2018 where I live in England it was 27°C with 20% humidity. Dew point was just 2.1°C. It felt hot as usual.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,418 times
Definitely it has a warm winter. When Chicago was besieged by Polar Vertex and temperature recording a minus 25 degree F, on the same day Reykjavik was comparatively warm -- 35 degree F.

Sixty degree higher. Iceland may be a better place to escape the frigid winter if you don't have budget for Florida or Hawaii.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,418 times
I have just been there in early August last year for 4 days. Very surprisingly other than rain for 2 hours in one afternoon, all the other days were sunny. Weather ranges from chilly to warm. Definitely need a jacket especially if you are outside the city.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I know just as much about it as you, actually. If I went to a Southern California beach in June I would find that most days the marine layer burns off by noon. It could burn off at 2 PM or 4 PM, maybe not at all. No way it would last for more than a few days though.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Definitely it has a warm winter. When Chicago was besieged by Polar Vertex and temperature recording a minus 25 degree F, on the same day Reykjavik was comparatively warm -- 35 degree F.

Sixty degree higher. Iceland may be a better place to escape the frigid winter if you don't have budget for Florida or Hawaii.
It is not warm in winter! Reykjavik's winter record high is a mild 12°C and average temps are cold.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,503,321 times
Quote:
If its over 5 hours per day then yes they would.
Dude, given the length of day up there, that equates to like 16 hours per day of cloudy skies. How is 16 hours a day of gloom considered sunny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather