Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the biggest reason why you don't like Florida/Gulf Coast summers?
Flooding/hurricanes. Otherwise, the summers aren't that bad, and sometimes even enjoyable. 19 31.67%
Humidity. I hate it even more than hurricanes! 41 68.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times

Advertisements

When I’ve been North visiting and return, I love the humidity caress I get when I return here in the winter, it feels so good after being in cold, dry air. Summer humidity though is oppressive in the Venice area where I live. The summer humidity here feels like a palpable wall when walking outside. The nights do not cool down and the humidity doesn’t go away. Non-stop high humidity begins around mid April and doesn’t let up until mid October, +/-.

A nice breeze right after sunrise or before sunset at the beach provides relief, midday not at all. Having access to a pool makes the summers more bearable here. There is nothing better than being outside working, walking etc. and then cooling my core temp in the pool. I’ve taken showers and come out still sweating if I didn’t cool down first. We have a ceiling fan on the lanai and I spend time out there in the evenings, moving air makes a huge difference in comfort. I prefer that to constant AC. Palm trees are the expected FL look, but a well placed large live oak providing shade is better, IMO.

The summer heat and humidity doesn’t keep me in, just like cold and snow in the North didn’t either. I’ve learned to work around it and acclimate to it as much as possible. Comparing a Gulf Coast summer to a Northern east coast summer is like comparing a 5k to a marathon and saying they are the same thing: they are in totally different leagues.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-26-2019 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 01:47 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
As a NW Florida Native who has lived all over the country - Ohio, Nevada, DC area as well as England, Italy and Germany, I can honestly say the worst humidity (outside of jungle climates etc) is definitely here. I lived near Pisa on the coast of the Med and it is parallel to NW Florida climate wise, but so easy to drive just a few miles inland to escape the heat.

People say just dress for the weather, well that is tough to do in such intense humidity. People that come here for vacation don't complain but they stay mainly on the breezier beach area, have their hair tied up and wear swimsuits and shorts and other breezy clothes. Try dressing in the same climate for an office environment, they just don't make work clothes thin enough to withstand it! And don't get me started on Hair!! Rosanna, Rosanna Dana!

Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
As a NW Florida Native who has lived all over the country - Ohio, Nevada, DC area as well as England, Italy and Germany, I can honestly say the worst humidity (outside of jungle climates etc) is definitely here. I lived near Pisa on the coast of the Med and it is parallel to NW Florida climate wise, but so easy to drive just a few miles inland to escape the heat.

People say just dress for the weather, well that is tough to do in such intense humidity. People that come here for vacation don't complain but they stay mainly on the breezier beach area, have their hair tied up and wear swimsuits and shorts and other breezy clothes. Try dressing in the same climate for an office environment, they just don't make work clothes thin enough to withstand it! And don't get me started on Hair!! Rosanna, Rosanna Dana!
I thought if you're a woman, then you get to wear knee length skirts, sandals, and a short sleeved blouse to the office, making it plenty breezy.

Now if you're a guy you're not so lucky.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Summer humidity though is oppressive in the Venice area where I live. The summer humidity here feels like a palpable wall when walking outside. The nights do not cool down and the humidity doesn’t go away.

Comparing a Gulf Coast summer to a Northern east coast summer is like comparing a 5k to a marathon and saying they are the same thing: they are in totally different leagues.
Summers anywhere on the Gulf Coast, from Brownsville to Galveston to New Orleans to Mobile to Pensacola and all the way to Tampa Bay and Fort Myers are all equally muggy. And of course, I never get why people complain about Northeast humidity after I stayed for ten weeks during the summer in coastal Louisiana/Mississippi.

But, excuse me, you say nights don't cool down during the summer in Venice, Fl? Then what's this I see on the average climate chart for Venice, Florida? August highs average 91 degrees and August lows average 75 degrees? 91-75=16, right? So a 16 degree cool-down? I know that the "low" doesn't occur until 5 in the morning or so, but still, 16 degrees is quite a cool-down. 75 degree mornings are very comfortable, and I love warm pre-dawn weather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice...hy_and_climate

Old 02-26-2019, 04:34 PM

30,411 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
A bit too hot/humid but really not that bad. Better than summers in lowland areas of the Desert Southwest for sure. The effects of humidity are overstated imo.

Hurricanes are a problem but I think they won't be too bad either. I'd have to experience one to know for sure though.
Well you would be fine with a CAT1. But a super CAT5 with gust over 220mph would sure wake ya up pup.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
But, excuse me, you say nights don't cool down during the summer in Venice, Fl? Then what's this I see on the average climate chart for Venice, Florida? August highs average 91 degrees and August lows average 75 degrees? 91-75=16, right? So a 16 degree cool-down? I know that the "low" doesn't occur until 5 in the morning or so, but still, 16 degrees is quite a cool-down. 75 degree mornings are very comfortable, and I love warm pre-dawn weather.

If you run a/c all the time, it's no big deal, but if you don't, trying to sleep in 75 degrees with humidity is not easy. We don't have a/c (in SoCal) and on the rare occasions when it never drops below 75 at night, I have a terrible time sleeping. 75F is not a "cool" nighttime temperature.

Last edited by saibot; 02-26-2019 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you run a/c all the time, it's no big deal, but if you don't, trying to sleep in 75 degrees with humidity is not easy. We don't have a/c (in SoCal) and on the rare occasions when it never drops below 75 at night, I have a terrible time sleeping. 75F is not a "cool" nighttime temperature.
While living in Rancho Santa Margarita, I had a newer home that had A/C. But we only turned it on during the day. Even during those monsoonal heat waves that kept the temps warm at night, we didn't turn on the air con. Opening the windows and sleeping in my swim trunks and a sweat-wicking shirt without a blanket was plenty cool for me.

Admittedly, our house was NEW, and NEW houses have better insulation.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Summers anywhere on the Gulf Coast, from Brownsville to Galveston to New Orleans to Mobile to Pensacola and all the way to Tampa Bay and Fort Myers are all equally muggy. And of course, I never get why people complain about Northeast humidity after I stayed for ten weeks during the summer in coastal Louisiana/Mississippi.

It’s true the temp does drop at night, but that doesn’t make it comfortable. It doesn’t feel like a cool down with high dewpoints. The temperature is only part of the picture here.

Weather stats for Sarasota from https://weatherspark.com/y/16875/Ave...tes-Year-Round explain it:
Quote:
Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid. Unlike temperature, which typically varies significantly between night and day, dew point tends to change more slowly, so while the temperature may drop at night, a muggy day is typically followed by a muggy night.
75 degrees with a high dew point is never comfortable. There is no coolness to the air with a high dewpoint and our long summers here are more about the high dewpoints than the temperatures.

This is an annual mean dew point map of the US, showing FL is the most humid state.
https://climatecenter.fsu.edu/images/humidity-02.png

I still prefer living here, but I don’t sugarcoat the reality of a long, oppressive FL summer.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-26-2019 at 11:55 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 01:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:

75 with a 74 degree dewpoint is NOT comfortable to most people

Old 02-27-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
75 with a 74 degree dewpoint is NOT comfortable to most people
I hardly even notice a 74 degree dewpoint. I have in incredibly high tolerance for humidity and anything below a 75 degree dewpoint doesn't even register as humidity for me. If the dew point is not above 80, and your glasses don't fog up when you step outside the door, then it's not humid, as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather