Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:07 AM

376 posts, read 240,512 times

Advertisements

I see quite a few people, not from the UK, comment on London summers saying how they're dreary and never truly warm. Although this claim does have some merit, it doesn't really explain what our summers have been like in recent years and the trend it's setting for future summers.

Firstly, summer temps in the capital now reliably reach over 32 degrees for the hottest day and most summer days see temps around 25 degrees or more, with those iconic drizzly days mixed in, but it seems those grey days are few and far in between (which is a plus for me).

Secondly, summer rainfall is becoming abysmally low, in fact, small enough for London to probably be classified as near Mediterranean in the near future.

I don't know if this is a trend for all Northen European cities but London is warming much faster than more southern latitudes in the Northern hemisphere and I wouldn't be surprised if our all-time record temp is broken in the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
You can't fight stereotypes, this forum is a good example of that and UK weather is the most talked about yet least understood weather system on the planet! London actually has rather nice Summers, it rains more in Rome, Paris, Istanbul and may other places every year than it does in London, the South Coast of the UK also gets rather sunny summers too (London not quite as much sunshine because of its Geography). You can tell the foreign tourists in London because they tend to go 'over the top' with rainwear and they always carry umbrella's! (I have never owned an umbrella in my life (apart from one on my golfbag that I've never used (fairweather golfer me)). The reason London (and the UK in general) gets this reputation is probably because unlike a lot of the world there is no real pattern to rainfall, ie its un-predictable, ie you are nearly as likely to get rain or a 'wet spell' in July as you are in December. However despite its un-predictability London is actually one of the driest cities in the whole of western Europe, so it isn't endless rain like people think. The fact that the UK is 50-60 degrees north also means that sunshine amounts are particularly low in the winter - even in the South. Actually here in the SE of England we are constantly warned about water shortages, its not that it is THAT dry but rather that its 'drier' than you may think and it has a very high population density - mix the two together and during dry spells water can be a problem.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Yeah, summers in London seemed to have warmed up quite a bit. Which is probably what has happened also in Paris, Brussels, most german cities... Last July Paris had an average which was similar to a normal July in Bologna, which is about 5c warmer on average. Pretty brutal in a way.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:52 AM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
The major misconception is actually that the UK has only one weather. London and the SE always have been the driest and warmest parts of the country. They're only separated by a narrow body of water from France and Belgium, so they're often under the same weather pattern as those places. Add the urban heat island effect in London and lack of direct coastal exposure..and London is going to be among the warmest places in Britain almost all the time.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The major misconception is actually that the UK has only one weather. London and the SE always have been the driest and warmest parts of the country. They're only separated by a narrow body of water from France and Belgium, so they're often under the same weather pattern as those places. Add the urban heat island effect in London and lack of direct coastal exposure..and London is going to be among the warmest places in Britain almost all the time.
In the winter months the South West are warmer than the SE, its the South West that benefits the most from the Gulf Stream, below is link to Tresco Gardens on the Scilly Isles (islands of the coast of Cornwall):-

https://www.tresco.co.uk/enjoying/abbey-garden

Sub-tropical plants not because of Summer heat but because it doesn't get cold, even in the winter months (average Winter nighttime low is around 6-8 degrees Centigrade), pretty incredible for 50 degrees north and warmer winter temps than even London.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:09 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
I see quite a few people, not from the UK, comment on London summers saying how they're dreary and never truly warm. Although this claim does have some merit, it doesn't really explain what our summers have been like in recent years and the trend it's setting for future summers.

Firstly, summer temps in the capital now reliably reach over 32 degrees for the hottest day and most summer days see temps around 25 degrees or more, with those iconic drizzly days mixed in, but it seems those grey days are few and far in between (which is a plus for me).

Secondly, summer rainfall is becoming abysmally low, in fact, small enough for London to probably be classified as near Mediterranean in the near future.

I don't know if this is a trend for all Northen European cities but London is warming much faster than more southern latitudes in the Northern hemisphere and I wouldn't be surprised if our all-time record temp is broken in the next couple of years.
How can most summer days reach 25°C or more if the average is actually less than 24°C even using the latest data?

Old 03-23-2019, 12:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Summers in London are about the same as my summers, so pretty nice.

I've shifted to a hot summer climate during the last three summers, and even though it was much hotter it didn't actually feel any more like summer - the extra heat seemed like a bit of a downer, with few people seen outside and not much activity apart from malls and cafes/bars etc.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In the winter months the South West are warmer than the SE, its the South West that benefits the most from the Gulf Stream, below is link to Tresco Gardens on the Scilly Isles (islands of the coast of Cornwall):-

https://www.tresco.co.uk/enjoying/abbey-garden

Sub-tropical plants not because of Summer heat but because it doesn't get cold, even in the winter months (average Winter nighttime low is around 6-8 degrees Centigrade), pretty incredible for 50 degrees north and warmer winter temps than even London.
It also depends on the subtropical plants - some will grow due to lack of cold, while others won't grow, due to lack of heat. My climate has cooler winter minimums than the Scilly Isles, but can still grow a wider range of plants due to more heat.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
I have no idea about the range of subtropical plants that can grow down here. We do get snow most winters but I would say we're warm / hot for a good half of the year.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have no idea about the range of subtropical plants that can grow down here. We do get snow most winters but I would say we're warm / hot for a good half of the year.
If you get regular snow, it's likely going to be too cold to support many subtropical plants.

Trewartha's 8 months > 10C mean rule, does a good job of identifying higher levels of plant diversity due to heat, among Koppen's C climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather