Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times

Advertisements

Today, I found a small, green, helium-filled balloon near the ground in my yard. Its 3-foot ribbon was tangled in some bushes, keeping it from floating away. When I disturbed the ribbon, it rose up, but was trapped under a tree limb.

The question was if it floats, how did it come down to the ground and get its ribbon tangled? Well during the previous day, we had rain and a lower barometric pressure. This would have reduced the flotation effect on the balloon. Then when the atmospheric pressure rose and the rain ceased, the flotation effect increased again and the balloon would have flown away, but for its tangled ribbon.

The balloon is now floating above my kitchen table. We have rain forecast again in a couple of days. I'll be looking to see if the balloon sinks down then. Who needs a barometer, when you have a balloon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather