Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 11:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
2200 sun hours a year is not bad at all. How much sunshine does a Washingtonia need?
What Washingtonia don't need, is cool, grey and damp winters- to be healthy in marginal climates, they need warm sun that warms the ground even at the coldest time of year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
4+ months 18°C+ is my cutoff for heat for a subtropical climate, which means one month in Spring or Fall being 18°C+

Which means Washingtonia isn't a good subtropical indicator, if it doesn't need it to be that warm -not that I think a single species signifies a subtropical climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 12:15 AM

650 posts, read 450,295 times
Temperate climates should have winter month means of like 0.1C to 10C on my opinion. So like New York City or Munich (1981 to 2010 data) to like an area between Houston and Dallas or something.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:38 AM

1,503 posts, read 914,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I feel like people get so hung up on the subtropical/continental conundrum because they fail to accept that there's a spectrum of continental climates and a spectrum of subtropical climates. New York is on the border between continental and subtropical. If you go further south, say Washington DC, you're firmly in subtropical territory, at least the cooler side of subtropical. By the time you reach Florida you're into warm subtropical, and in Miami you're on the border of tropical.

To me these are broad categories, very broad.
To me the problem is not the broadness of Köppen's Cfa and Cfb categories, but that they have hardly any relationship to biomes. They completely fail to distinguish between deciduous woodland (colder winter) climates and evergreen forest (warmer winter) climates. If they did, I think they would group the cooler winter climates together (eg New York with London) and the warmer winter climates in a different grouping (eg New Orleans with Auckland).

Old 03-31-2019, 05:12 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
To me the problem is not the broadness of Köppen's Cfa and Cfb categories, but that they have hardly any relationship to biomes. They completely fail to distinguish between deciduous woodland (colder winter) climates and evergreen forest (warmer winter) climates. If they did, I think they would group the cooler winter climates together (eg New York with London) and the warmer winter climates in a different grouping (eg New Orleans with Auckland).
Yes. That is the problem with Koppen.

Subtropical imo is not quite tropical but still mild ...places where snow is rare, you rarely
ever need to wear a winter jacket or mitts....places like Buenos Aires...Sydney....Orlando...
Hong Kong....Auckland...etc...

But not...New York City...Philadelphia...DC....those places should be in another climate
category...they are between subtropical and continental.......temperate...semi continental.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:31 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What Washingtonia don't need, is cool, grey and damp winters- to be healthy in marginal climates, they need warm sun that warms the ground even at the coldest time of year.

So how much sunshine is required in the 3 winter months then? Obviously Victoria doesn't make the grade...

Old 03-31-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
So how much sunshine is required in the 3 winter months then? Obviously Victoria doesn't make the grade...
I don't think it's a matter of sunshine by itself, ground conditions need to be warm and dry for most of the time -Washingtonia, particularly filifera, aren't tolerant of damp and cool conditions, being prone to rot

Old 03-31-2019, 11:36 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
London Heathrow airport has a coldest month of 5.2C and an annual mean of 11.3C. I've never seen a Washingtonia in England, though there are some sub-adult (stating to form a short trunk,) Phoenix canariensis near LHR. In any case I'd place London on the cool to cold winter side of the divide, as the biome is definitely one that shows winter hibernation.
Washingtonia filifera in London.
https://goo.gl/maps/sTqpZnHR7yK2

Last edited by B87; 03-31-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
While I can see the usefulness of using a single indicator plant like Washingtonia (or coconut palm for tropical and almost tropical climates), I think a real classification system would use a broader biome indicator such as the boundary between mainly deciduous broadleaf forests where growth largely stops over winter and mainly broadleaf evergreen forests where there is more year round activity.

This would also be useful to partition the Köppen Cfb climates between the cool-cold winter types like London and the mild-warmer winter types like Auckland.
I'm not sure that they need partitioning though -Auckland and London both fit the Cfb description well, and variation would be expected in any climate classification. Although I do agree the the two cities have very different biomes due to climate

Classification describes "type" of climate, rather than actual climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Washingtonia filifera in London.
https://goo.gl/maps/sTqpZnHR7yK2
That's how Washingtonia will survive in Victoria -dry ground and heat retention.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think it's a matter of sunshine by itself, ground conditions need to be warm and dry for most of the time -Washingtonia, particularly filifera, aren't tolerant of damp and cool conditions, being prone to rot
So what are the minimum sunshine, temperature and rain conditions in the winter then that create a suitable environment for Washingtonias that will keep ground conditions warm and dry most of the time? I would like to try and recreate it if I can.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
So what are the minimum sunshine, temperature and rain conditions in the winter then that create a suitable environment for Washingtonias that will keep ground conditions warm and dry most of the time? I would like to try and recreate it if I can.
Keep in mind London isn't very wet by oceanic standards, they only average about 600 mm of rain per year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather