Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you react when the Sandhills return to flowing sand dunes?
I would laugh at all the people in those states and scoff “I Told You So” 1 3.13%
I would probably be willing to pay extra money for corn and wheat products 5 15.63%
I really wouldn’t care one way or the other 11 34.38%
Other opinions(please express what you would think and feel) 17 53.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM

3,597 posts, read 2,683,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
Our oceans are becoming increasingly acidic as a result of all this CO2; enough so that it is increasingly difficult for these organisms to grow their skeletons. We are getting really close to the point where oceanic environments are so loaded with CO2 that our plankton will not be able to grow them at all. When that happens it's lights out not only for them but for the rest of us as well.....

Yes it is indeed bad. However, recent research has found that some of those small organisms can fight this acidification (if they have enough food/energy) and will not loose their carbonate easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:25 PM

927 posts, read 1,943,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Yes it is indeed bad. However, recent research has found that some of those small organisms can fight this acidification (if they have enough food/energy) and will not loose their carbonate easily.
Good to know. Will there be enough of them, though, that can do that?

Old 04-01-2019, 04:55 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,409,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Markets will adjust, farmers will adapt, consumers will have enough to eat.

If the Midwest became like the Sahara, then we'd irrigate it with water from the Great Lakes and from coastal desalination plants. People would cool their homes with solar. Home gardeners would have a longer growing season.

But, it's hard to imagine this happening. There's a lot of water in the Midwest and Great Plains. It's going to continue to be the nation's breadbasket for a long time to come.

Yes, lets screw over the whales and fish because we didn't take care of our land I really wish people would get more educated on the dangers of these "desalination plants."

Old 04-01-2019, 06:52 PM

30,290 posts, read 21,058,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We are already considering moving out of the country. I apologize for the intrusion of politics in this thread, but if the current political climate continues we feel it will be time to leave within the next 5-6 years. If not sooner.

BTW Nebraska is not the breadbasket of our country.
Nothing can be done to stop what is to come. The damage has been done. Plus our planet has seen huge changes in the weather over many millions of years. I could beam off every person and car off this planet and the heating will still run away for the next 1500 years.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:03 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,848,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Soils are not appropriate for growing low latitude crops in.. This is a prime reason why Canadian agriculture cannot expand northward. Canadian Shield soils are marshy, poorly drained, and rocky. Therefore, woods predominate, NOT crops.
They predominate now. But over time, with the advent of beetles that kill pine trees as the north warms, won't that lead to trees dying, falling, and decomposing, causing the landscape to change to grasslands? Not to mention that other animals and insects migrating further north will have an effect on the current landscape, too.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
They predominate now. But over time, with the advent of beetles that kill pine trees as the north warms, won't that lead to trees dying, falling, and decomposing, causing the landscape to change to grasslands? Not to mention that other animals and insects migrating further north will have an effect on the current landscape, too.
That has already started in the last 30 years. More fires to come out west and more dead tress fred.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Would would I do? Even if 80 yrs old?
Pretty clear...
-amend my soil here in CO and
-grow vegetables!
-Learn everything I can before hand...cuz the soil has to be exactly balanced!
-And keep it from prying eyes*...also
-tell all my friends to do the same.
-Learn canning as my mother did.
-oh....dig a cold storage area/room

It is nothing to laugh at.

* All my neighbors have had their pot plants stolen from their back yards...and friends
not by me...a couple days bef they were going to harvest them themselves...so someone was watching them at night. No one got to mine!
It's was a novelty when it got legalize and we could grow 6 plants...but it's actually hard work watching for spider mites.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 04-02-2019 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
When there were grain shortages in past history,
people's health vastly improved.
Humans don't thrive on all that grain!
Yes. This is a fact...I encourage everyone to read
the Epilogue of 'Protein Power'...2nd to the last chapter...tells what archeologists have found
around the world...relating
to a grain based culture...their teeth (or lack of)...the bones...and omg the mummies!
Oh, those Pharaohs and their grain stores!!!
Mummies are still being autopsied as we speak! Oh, their hardened and sticky, plaque filled aortas!

Old 04-02-2019, 11:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,412,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
How will the ecological bomb in the Sandhills of Nebraska affect life in the surrounding areas of the plains and Midwest once a prolonged drought returns the dunes to a miniature Sahara?
Generations will abstain unless there is further change back to more suitable land?

We're in a space crunch only in certain locations, not the entire US, (due to concentrations of better jobs around cities, school districts, commute times, and the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day.) The biggest impact would be to existing residents.

I think we're a lot better off today when agriculture is a means of direct sustenance for a smaller number of families than during the first Dust Bowl.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Think of the billions of planets out there to save us and no way to get to them. We already about did ours in already in under 170 years. Sure won't take another 170 years to finish it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather