Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 02:54 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

I'll take my dry 70s and run again. Awesome June. No sun under the ridge in the East but looks like a cut off Low in the Southeast producing clouds there.

Big difference in Winnipeg today vs yesterday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 03:26 PM

54 posts, read 26,709 times
The Reverse North Windflow brought some abnormally hot air to Finland yesterday. The city of Oulu recorded 32.3C, which was the earliest 90F reading ever recorded in the country. Being in Oulu at 65N it was even more spectacular. As one's not allowed to curse on this subforum, let me say that it was [racist slur, homophobic slur, sexist slur] exceptional!

Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 PM

29,529 posts, read 19,620,154 times
^^
Lmao Finland hit 90 degrees before we did.

Started off quite scummy today. Now cloudy... but I was out of the reach of Lake Michigan's cooling influence, so my town hit 83F at IKK. It was 79F at MDW, and only 76F at ORD today.

Cool temps for the foreseeable future

https://twitter.com/NWSChicago/statu...51273962213376

Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'll take my dry 70s and run again. Awesome June. No sun under the ridge in the East but looks like a cut off Low in the Southeast producing clouds there.

Big difference in Winnipeg today vs yesterday.

Upper 80's in Northern Ontario is impressive, they were in the 30's just a couple of weeks ago. 97 degrees in Austin today and I didn't hit the lake. Had to get some things ready for my business trip to Dallas next week. Had lunch with my girlfriend and walked the trails near a creek, was hot but dry, in the shade it wasn't bad. Lots of people there playing frisbee golf (disc golf). You can think of Austin as the Minneapolis of the south. People get out and do things in the heat of summer and enjoy the heat just like people in Minneapolis get out in the cold of winter there and go cross country skiing or what have you.

The sun was frying though, this is the kind of weather that sunburns you easily with the solar peak about to be here. UV index was 12. My tan is pretty developed but fair skinned folks need to be cautious down here this time of year. The first few days of upper 90's is always interesting.

Last edited by cBach; 06-08-2019 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
82 in San Francisco and 85 tomorrow. Good day to be at Baker Beach.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Upper 80's in Northern Ontario is impressive, they were in the 30's just a couple of weeks ago. 97 degrees in Austin today and I didn't hit the lake. Had to get some things ready for my business trip to Dallas next week. Had lunch with my girlfriend and walked the trails near a creek, was hot but dry, in the shade it wasn't bad. Lots of people there playing frisbee golf (disc golf). You can think of Austin as the Minneapolis of the south. People get out and do things in the heat of summer and enjoy the heat just like people in Minneapolis get out in the cold of winter there and go cross country skiing or what have you.

The sun was frying though, this is the kind of weather that sunburns you easily with the solar peak about to be here. UV index was 12. My tan is pretty developed but fair skinned folks need to be cautious down here this time of year. The first few days of upper 90's is always interesting.
I looked at Austin's data, at 5pm CST, it was 97°F with a 68°F dewpoint, for a 102°F Heat Index. That's humid, I don't care who you are

Old 06-09-2019, 02:52 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Forecast for tomorrow, 14c and rain!

Maybe in 10-15 days time, might see something resembling average late June weather. It's a disaster.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Another favorite June in the works? So far so good! What a morning and day. Sunny temps started at 50F going to low 70s.

Next weekend....

Quote:
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
720 AM EDT Sun Jun 9 2019

EC/CMC upper pattern are similar into the weekend, keeping the
closed low over Hudson Bay and swinging a sharpening trough
through the NE while the GFS drops the upper low into southern
Ontario.
The difference translates to possibly another round of
showers/tstms associated with a cold frontal passage sometime
next weekend.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:31 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I looked at Austin's data, at 5pm CST, it was 97°F with a 68°F dewpoint, for a 102°F Heat Index. That's humid, I don't care who you are
Dews over 64f start to get nasty in my book when temps are over 83f. Try my dew of 75f now.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times
Observations about Northern England's climate in summer, is that the averages actually make it look better than it really is (not that they look good to begin with).

Allow me to explain:

The average maximum temperatures give a false impression of how mild it gets by day, because more often than not, we have a sunny morning, with the max temp reached around 11AM-1PM, then it clouds over often becoming totally overcast by about 2-3PM, and the temperature may in fact be 3-4 degrees lower than the max, for the rest of the day. So infact subtract about 2 degrees C off all the average highs in summer and that's how it feels most of the days in summer.

Next, the sunshine hours give a false impression. 200hrs a month in summer seems OK until you realise we have 550 daylight hours, and so we actually get less than 35% of the max possible sunshine in summer. This is awful by any standard, and even worse when you consider that most of these hours of sun occur in the morning when it's still chilly out, and afternoons are almost always mostly cloudy or overcast.

Next, the rainfall quantities give a false impression. 50-70mm of rain a month in summer seems OK until you realise it all falls in painfully slow, tedious hours of rainfall that can ruin entire days, even if not much water should fall. A similar amount of rain in any other climate would take perhaps one quarter of the time to fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather