Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose
Tehran 24 60.00%
Minneapolis 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 PM

376 posts, read 240,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
I'd imagine they'd be rather harsh to an Englishman... Most days are quite cold for sure, but not dangerously severe, and with appropriate gear (heavy jackets etc) one can manage, but it's not nice to stay outside for too long on the colder days, so most people are rushing to their destination and stay inside much of the winter. If you are interested in winter activities, it can be more enjoyable probably, cross-country skiing etc... There can be nasty days (this winter was bad, it hit -30F/-34C, but I was away in Rhode Island), but what's more miserable to me is that transition seasons can be really cold. March and April can get snowstorms and coldwaves instead of springlike weather, and November can basically be a winter month instead of milder and like late fall, which it is more like here (that's the main reason I voted for Tehran, since its transitions + winter seemed much nicer, I'd suspect Minneapolis would have nicer looking vegetation with the greenery and trees). For example. the area north of there (Duluth) got a snowstorm a couple of days ago. At least the sun is often out, so inside it can be nice to sit and warm up, I feel Russian winters would feel a lot bleaker, since they are so sun-starved and the days are even shorter up there, but English winters are so much milder, even if they are duller, and it would be nice to see the green grass there. The snow isn't that bad (and I still enjoy it sometimes, the way it appears on the trees), but black ice can be nasty on the roads.
Yeah, our winters already seem cold and horrible so the cold experienced there would be a shock to me seeing as I've never in my life experienced a winter day with just minneapolis' average temps. Also, the UK isn't really that green around winter tbh seeing as all the trees lose their leaves and I live right next to a forest so it's much more noticeable to me. TBH its actually prettier when it sometimes snows here, making everything look lighter. Anyway, despite the cold temperatures and the never-ending cloudiness, its the day length that really makes it the worst. I can't begin to explain how depressing it is for the sun to set continually at only around 3pm from late November to early February. If our winters had the same temps and even cloudy BUT had longer day lengths it would be much more tolerable. The day lengths in summer don't even compensate for it. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a polar night, I don't know how all the people living around the polar circle don't all have SAD throughout winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
I thought you were a heat lover? Would you really put up with that cold for the rain. Don't get me wrong I love thunderstorms and a healthy level of precipitation but if its gonna come with the threat of extreme cold then there's no point.

I would only choose Tehran because of the hotter summers, however the summers in Tehran are accompanied by low humidity as opposed to moderate to high humidity levels, the extreme heat and low humidity in Tehran along with the lack of rainfall are a real deal breaker for me. Minneapolis can at times have humidity that rivals the us south, not to mention the fact that Minneapolis usually has adequate rainfall most spring and summer seasons, excluding the drought years, if Tehran had more spring and summer precipitation along with at least moderate levels of humidity, then I would pick Tehran over Minneapolis in a heartbeat for Tehran’s milder winter weather

Old 05-16-2019, 08:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Tehran: warmer all year, drier in the summer, always a winning combo.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:06 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Tehran: 48.4% / F+
Mpls: 80.6% / B-

Minneapolis could benefit from a few extra degrees year round, but Tehran's dry season just wrecks it. If Tehran had the same temperatures but Minneapolis' precipitation distribution and amount, it would have a 79.8% / B-.

Note: the sub-1" precipitation in Minneapolis in January and February would likely improve to over 1" in this scenario, due to Tehran's higher winter temperatures (and available moisture content)

Old 05-17-2019, 04:28 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
Minneapolis: B-
Tehran: D

Minneapolis' summers could be a tad cooler but they aren't that bad. Tehran summers are really bad.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Tehran. I would say there are 8 months out of the year that are comfortable, whereas in Minneapolis about 4 months.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:47 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Tehran, easily. Decent 4 season climate that's relatively dry. Minneapolis is just too cold in the winter for me. Tehran is quite toasty in the Summer but it's a pretty dry heat. Minneapolis can still get hot and humid in the summer.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:45 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Tehran...Bigly

Old 05-17-2019, 02:24 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times
Tehran is a big league climate compared to Mini Apple Less.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:47 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Minneapolis by a large margin. The summers can get pretty hot but this is offset by excellent winters, fairly long & mild shoulder seasons and ample humidity/precipitation year round.

Tehran is far too arid, has a horrid summer and lacks an actual cold winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather