Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Atlanta 23 41.07%
San Diego 33 58.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:08 AM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaraptor View Post
What if I want rain? San Diego sure doesn’t have that.
Not if you want summer rain, no. There might be a couple of brief thunderstorms in July or August from the Arizona monsoon drifting over. The farther inland you are, the more likely that is to happen.

San Diego does get winter rain. I believe this season got about 12" from October through March.

But being a native Californian, I've never understood why people love rain in the summer so much. Summer is for vacations and outdoor activities. Who wants a constant threat of rain interfering with beach days, hikes, bike rides, swimming in the pool, picnics, barbecues, summer camp, etc. etc.?

Last edited by saibot; 05-28-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 11:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Not if you want summer rain, no. There might be a couple of brief thunderstorms in July or August from the Arizona monsoon drifting over. The farther inland you are, the more likely that is to happen.

San Diego does get winter rain. I believe this season got about 12" from October through March.

But being a native Californian, I've never understood why people love rain in the summer so much. Summer is for vacations and outdoor activities. Who wants a constant threat of rain interfering with for beach days, hikes, bike rides, swimming in the pool, picnics, barbecues, summer camp, etc. etc.?
Agreed, I hate rain in the summer. I will still never forget the 4th of July in 1998 back in Rochester, NY (where I was still living at the time), it rained non stop all freaking day with a steady temperature around 68° and fireworks had to be rescheduled

Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 PM

381 posts, read 248,642 times
I know this rainy season was abnormally wet in SD but still too dry for me at 12”. Then again, I consider Portland too dry and I want 80” of rain per year, so there’s that.

I’m fine with a summer dry season if it doesn’t last too long. Atlanta is simply far closer to my preferences than San Diego.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:28 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
I know this rainy season was abnormally wet in SD but still too dry for me at 12”. Then again, I consider Portland too dry and I want 80” of rain per year, so there’s that.

I’m fine with a summer dry season if it doesn’t last too long. Atlanta is simply far closer to my preferences than San Diego.
Ah, you are a rain forest lover. Yeah, even Atlanta's not going to give you 80 inches!

Old 05-28-2019, 02:53 PM

66 posts, read 64,072 times
We all may have our climate preference, but to think that Atlanta has a better climate than San Diego is insane.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,135 times
San Diego has the most pleasant weather year round in the US, 65/49 for a January high/low and 74/65 for a July high/low, you can't really beat that! Even worldwide it has some of the best weather year round. Atlanta on the other hand is just a warmer/much less snowier version of a typical cold winter, warm-hot humid summer Eastern US climate. Even a more fair battle of San Diego vs Charleston, San Diego wins mostly due to less wintry days and more pleasant summers compared to Charleston's long sultry summers.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:38 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Atlanta easily. San Diego is very boring with very little interesting weather, no rain, no storms. Also the Santa Ana winds which the climate table won't tell you about.
You might want to review the weather channel on that. It's been raining 3 months straight.

But ya, this isn't normal but 70 every day is hardly boring if you love being outside.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:43 PM

963 posts, read 855,532 times
Atlanta because of hot summer, San Diego is too dull

Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 PM

381 posts, read 248,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You might want to review the weather channel on that. It's been raining 3 months straight.

But ya, this isn't normal but 70 every day is hardly boring if you love being outside.
March and April were drier than normal in San Diego. Maybe 7 days of rain combined between those two months.

May has been wet, but it has not been raining for 3 months straight. Not even close. This March in Portland had 1.54” of rain, and it felt desertlike in terms of precipitation, so I can only imagine what San Diego’s even drier March 2019 felt like.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
San Diego for me -not a fan of dry climates, but there won't be any backyard orange trees in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather