Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:30 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Warm oceanic because the coolest month is between 6°C and 17.9°C, while cool oceanic climates have the coolest month between 0°C and 5.9°C, which I've also told you several times.
So you'd call somewhere like Penzance or Scilly warm oceanic, while London is cool oceanic, just because the winters are slightly cooler there? The rest of the year in London is vastly superior to Cornwall outside of the Dec-Feb period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 08:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
So you'd call somewhere like Penzance or Scilly warm oceanic, while London is cool oceanic, just because the winters are slightly cooler there? The rest of the year in London is vastly superior to Cornwall outside of the Dec-Feb period.
Yes, because winter is more important than summer when it comes to vegetation.

Take Dallas and Los Angeles. Same annual mean, but Los Angeles is about 6°C warmer than Dallas in the winter and it shows. There aren't palm lined boulevards in Dallas, and that's despite their downright tropical summers.....

Old 06-08-2019, 09:29 AM
B87

Quote:

Take Dallas and Los Angeles. Same annual mean, but Los Angeles is about 6°C warmer than Dallas in the winter and it shows. There aren't palm lined boulevards in Dallas, and that's despite their downright tropical summers.....
You'll find most plants that grow in Penzance will also grow in London.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:

Interesting -I couldn't find a single reference to citrus growing in Nantes, or a single image of a Washingtonia or Queen palm. Something tells me there wont be any avocado orchards or Jacaranda trees blooming there either -exactly what sort of vegetation are you referring to that is important?, because I don't see Nantes as being able to support the same vegetation as my area.

Have you got a better example than Nantes? -I think when you say that climate A "feels" like climate B, then they should be able to support the same vegetation

Quote:
It's close enough, places don't have to be the exact f+*%$-; same to be in a group in my system, just closer than in Koppen. That's what you're missing, and I think you're doing it on purpose due to being a Koppen apologist
Koppen apologist? -is that another way of saying that that classification should really be about a scientific approach to understanding the world's climates?

I think when you devise a system where you say the only criteria is "feel", then that's what it should be about - Myclimate doesn't get the "feel" of plentiful snowfall, a grey season,weaker sun angles, the record cold months of Nantes etc, and you've separated it from other NZ climates that are much closer statistically.

You've also managed to separate some NZ cities that are only a few km apart, because they supposedly "feel" different.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Interesting -I couldn't find a single reference to citrus growing in Nantes, or a single image of a Washingtonia or Queen palm. Something tells me there wont be any avocado orchards or Jacaranda trees blooming there either -exactly what sort of vegetation are you referring to that is important?, because I don't see Nantes as being able to support the same vegetation as my area

Koppen apologist? -is that another way of saying that that classification should really be about a scientific approach to understanding the world's climates?

I think when you devise a system where you say the only criteria is "feel", then that's what it should be about - Myclimate doesn't get the "feel" of plentiful snowfall, a grey season,weaker sun angles, the record cold months of Nantes etc, and you've separated it from other NZ climates that are much closer statistically.

You've also managed to separate some NZ cities that are only a few km apart, because they supposedly "feel" different.
Where does it say Nantes gets plentiful snowfall? Their Wikipedia page doesn't indicate that

Old 06-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Where does it say Nantes gets plentiful snowfall? Their Wikipedia page doesn't indicate that
A quick google search will tell you that snow is an annual event -compare that to my climate which sees snow about once every 34 years on average.

Care to comment on obvious vegetation differences? -what's good enough for London/Penzance, should be good enough for Nantes/Motueka, particularly as the difference is even more obvious here

Old 06-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
A quick google search will tell you that snow is an annual event -compare that to my climate which sees snow about once every 34 years on average.

Care to comment on obvious vegetation differences? -what's good enough for London/Penzance, should be good enough for Nantes/Motueka, particularly as the difference is even more obvious here
I'm putting you on ignore, I've had enough of this

Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I'm putting you on ignore, I've had enough of this
I guess that means that winter vegetation isn't important to you?

Don't feel bad - Trying to create a classification based on "feel", is always going to be problematic, and not as useful as a Wiki box.

Post edit: I guess ignore is one way of dealing with criticism, although I think debate is much superior

Last edited by Joe90; 06-08-2019 at 02:40 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
You'll find most plants that grow in Penzance will also grow in London.
We'll never know the official answer to this, but I guessing that sometimes it's important, and other times it isn't.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:26 AM
B87

Quote:
We'll never know the official answer to this, but I guessing that sometimes it's important, and other times it isn't.
Infact, a lot of subtropical plants grow better in London than they do in Penzance because London is much warmer for most of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather