U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 03:55 PM

378 posts, read 152,849 times

Advertisements

This will probably get deleted and I wouldn't be surprised if my account does too but who exactly put the moderators in charge of this forum? Did any members of this forum vote for a particular moderator or was it put on to us by the main site? Is there any resemblance of democracy that allows weather forum participants to decide what rules they want themselves? Why is it OK for a random user to enforce their own rules on to a forum without the consent of a majority of forum members?

tl;dr there doesn't seem to be any democracy into how these forums are run

edit: Just checked and a particular moderator has only made three threads into this forum: all of which to control what is said in here.

Last edited by trolik; 06-26-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 06-26-2019, 04:39 PM

12,064 posts, read 11,493,459 times
I believe that any user can report any user of an infraction, which is anything that violates the terms of service (TOS).

I don't know how you become a moderator and it does seem arbitrary what is deemed fair and not fair. I haven't really seen that on the weather forum but a lot on the other more controversial forums.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 PM

378 posts, read 152,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I believe that any user can report any user of an infraction, which is anything that violates the terms of service (TOS).

I don't know how you become a moderator and it does seem arbitrary what is deemed fair and not fair. I haven't really seen that on the weather forum but a lot on the other more controversial forums.
Yeah I understand but I'm talking about the unfair advantage of a moderator declaring themselves what should or shouldn't be deleted off this forum (or any) when no majority of forum users consented to this. It just all seems very undemocratic, not to sound too ott but its almost like a ruling monarch not listening to their subjects lol. I used to see people wanting a separate forum for climate polls but that was never seen to. What if we all picked our own moderators and subsequent rules for this forum, and decided if there should be any additions to this forum i.e. a climate polls subforum

Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM

5,809 posts, read 6,040,269 times
Posts/threads get deleted when they violate the T.O.S. or go against norms of civility and traditions of the forum. No, it isn't a democratic process. In almost all cases, action is taken only when a member reports a thread or post. Then, the post is examined to determine its adherence to the T.O.S. and rules of C-D, then action is taken, if warranted. Such action can be as little as closing the report without action, the deletion of the post/thread, or issuance of infractions.

A separate sub-forum for polls and climate battles have been requested, multiple times. It would sure clear up the main forum for serious meteorological discussion. It doesn't look like the creation of a sub-forum will ever happen.

When someone is put forth to become a moderator, it is because they were nominated as a potential moderator to the senior moderators by other moderators based on the nominee's attitude, maturity, and ability to stay above the fray in controversial discussions. They are then vetted and put through a training process. Upon completion, if successful, they are assigned a forum to watch over to maintain order and adherence to the T.O.S. by other members.

In addition to the Terms of Service and general rules of City Data, various sub-fora have their own unique rules. These are put in place by the senior moderators, regular moderators, and with input from well-respected, long-time frequent contributors to any specific forum. That's as democratic as it gets.

This thread will remain for a day or so for the regulars to read, then will be removed. In the future, DM a moderator...any moderator. As you well know, discussion of moderator actions on the open forum is prohibited by the Terms of Service.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather