Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:45 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times

Advertisements

Erlek Depression is a theoretical climate located at the base of a deep depression in the midst of an absurdly tall mountain range. The terrain on which Erlek Depression is located consists mostly of black granite and therefore absorbs heat extremely well. Wind is nonexistent in this area due to the near 50'000 foot tall mountains bordering the depression. During the "winter" skies are clear nearly 100% of the time, this allows for intense solar heating as well as extreme radiational cooling. During the "summer" a fog filled the depression, leading nearly no sunlight, low durinal range, and temperatures indicative of it's altitude.

Do you think this climate would be possible given the right conditions? If you had to spend a month in this climate, which would you choose?
Attached Thumbnails
Discuss this climate: "Erlek Depression"-screen-shot-2015-11-04-4.44.46  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:49 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,459,594 times
F. Is this hospitable? If I spent a month there I would suggest Mom buy a casket for my funeral. I don't think it's very realistic though.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:55 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Erlek Depression is a theoretical climate located at the base of a deep depression in the midst of an absurdly tall mountain range. The terrain on which Erlek Depression is located consists mostly of black granite and therefore absorbs heat extremely well. Wind is nonexistent in this area due to the near 50'000 foot tall mountains bordering the depression. During the "winter" skies are clear nearly 100% of the time, this allows for intense solar heating as well as extreme radiational cooling. During the "summer" a fog filled the depression, leading nearly no sunlight, low durinal range, and temperatures indicative of it's altitude.

Do you think this climate would be possible given the right conditions? If you had to spend a month in this climate, which would you choose?
Life would not be possible at 36,000 feet. Humans can survive up to 29,000 feet for short periods of time, but they call the top elevations of Mt Everest the "death zone" due to the extreme lack of oxygen at those altitudes.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Life would not be possible at 36,000 feet. Humans can survive up to 29,000 feet for short periods of time, but they call the top elevations of Mt Everest the "death zone" due to the extreme lack of oxygen at those altitudes.
Obviously life is not possible at 36'000 feet. If you visited here bottled oxygen would be a given.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:11 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
Whether or not life would be possible, I would have slit my own throat within 24 hours of settling into this climate.

Z-

Old 11-04-2015, 03:12 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,459,594 times
Quote:
Obviously life is not possible at 36'000 feet. If you visited here bottled oxygen would be a given.
Will there be enough bottled oxygen to stay up there for a month?

Old 11-04-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Will there be enough bottled oxygen to stay up there for a month?
Yes. In this magical, theoretical situation you will not die from lack of oxygen. The point of this thread was to discuss the optimal month to visit this place, and to discuss whether or not, given the right circumstances if this climate is possible.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:07 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
Quote:
Yes. In this magical, theoretical situation you will not die from lack of oxygen. The point of this thread was to discuss the optimal month to visit this place, and to discuss whether or not, given the right circumstances if this climate is possible.
There is no optimal month for being in such a hellish place...lol. June would probably be the "safest" month. It'd be like going to Mars - you'd need special suits to survive the extreme temps, etc. I guess the closest analogy to this would be Pole Station in Antarctica - which is located at 9000 feet, and they get temps similar to some of those in your chart. They don't get outside much...lol.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:44 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Looks like a possible climate.......on an exoplanet; definitely not habitable for humans at any time of the year.
If I was FORCED to spend a month there, I'd actually probably chose February and stay inside my climate controlled, humidified home (climate controls would have to go beyond just simple household heating though) EXCEPT for the warmest part of the day where I could get some sunshine and pleasant temperatures for an hour or so during midday. It would be quite lethal to go outside in the morning or evening hours.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:44 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times
It's a depression right? So then it's below sea level.
But the surrounding mountains are 50k ft. above sea level.

There'd be no rain (or incredibly little) at any time of the year, similar to conditions in the Atacama.

But, what are the conditions at the peaks of the surrounding mountains. Does any snow carry over? Wouldn't this depression be filled in with one massive glacier, and therefore rock carried through by the glacier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather