Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which system is better?
Köppen in all respects 1 4.76%
Köppen overall 10 47.62%
It's difficult to say 4 19.05%
Trewartha overall 5 23.81%
Trewartha in all respects 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 AM

110 posts, read 71,736 times

Advertisements

In this thread, please indicate which of the two climate systems you prefer, and then list reasons why.

(If you prefer another classification system, it would be helpful to explain how it addresses deficiencies in both of the two under discussion here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 10:19 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,325 times
Overall I would say that Trewartha’s climate classification system is more accurate, as I find it absolutely ludicrous that the Koeppen classification designates climates like Indianapolis as being “Subtropical” using the -3 C/27 F temperature threshold, so since Trewartha designates Indianapolis as being continental in climate, rather than being Subtropical or even warm temperate, I am going to have to say Trewartha is better in many respects, at least for the mid latitude climate zones.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,325 times
Looks like nobody gives a hoot about the Trewartha or koeppen climate classifications lol, still no answer besides mine

Old 07-02-2019, 12:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Trewartha deliberately fudged his own map -the system has no integrity.

Last edited by Joe90; 07-02-2019 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 01:57 PM

381 posts, read 248,388 times
Trewartha's Do classification is the biggest joke in the history of climate classification. It's a horrendously broad dustbin classification that includes so many climates that clearly aren't marine oceanic.

Under Trewartha:

This climate with 63ºF summer highs is humid subtropical: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka...fornia#Climate

This climate with 95ºF summer highs is temperate oceanic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_...fornia#Climate

NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC are also considered "oceanic" by Trewartha which is a complete joke. Yet the Isles of Scilly off the western coast of the UK at 50ºN almost meet the subtropical classification. The highest temperature EVER recorded there is 82ºF, but of course that doesn't matter to Trewartha.

I'm not saying Koppen is perfect. It isn't. However, Trewartha just messes up in so many more ways than Koppen. Washington DC being subtropical is understandable considering the winters are fairly short and the summers are hot and resemble the tropics, but Washington DC being temperate oceanic is a complete joke.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:09 PM

110 posts, read 71,736 times
Ladies and gentlemen! If I may, I would like to cordially suggest we criticize these systems in their strongest forms rather than their weakest. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I find it absolutely ludicrous that the Koeppen classification designates climates like Indianapolis as being “Subtropical” using the -3 C/27 F temperature threshold
It is now widely understood by climatologists that the 0 degree isotherm is more accurate than -3; Indianapolis is more properly categorized as continental. Köppen's system may still be terrible, but not because it pushes Indianapolis into C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaraptor View Post
NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC are also considered "oceanic" by Trewartha which is a complete joke.
Many people do not know this, but, in Trewartha & Horn (1980) An Introduction to Climate, 5th Ed, Trewartha proposes a cold month isotherm of 2 C "in some locations inland" (p. 229). He used this to classify Berlin as continental even though its minimum monthly temperatures were (barely) above 0 C. This was a procedure he actually used since his system's conception in 4th edition. Thus, New York City and Philadelphia are both continental. Trewartha's system may be awful, but not because it fails to classify those two cities.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:58 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
It's difficult to say as both systems have their strengths and weaknesses in my opinion.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
I prefer Koppen, Trewartha pretty much disregards seasonality of rainfall patterns. For instance in Koppen the oceanic climates split up in csb (dry summer oceanic), cwb (dry winter oceanic) and cfb (humid oceanic) whereas Trewartha just combines them all into one. However one of my biggest faults with Koppen are his arid and semi arid climates, he doesn’t stay consistent with his temperature and rainfall distribution thresholds like he does for the wetter climates and instead throws them all into very broad climate categories.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaraptor View Post
NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC are also considered "oceanic" by Trewartha which is a complete joke. Yet the Isles of Scilly off the western coast of the UK at 50ºN almost meet the subtropical classification. The highest temperature EVER recorded there is 82ºF, but of course that doesn't matter to Trewartha.

I'm not saying Koppen is perfect. It isn't. However, Trewartha just messes up in so many more ways than Koppen. Washington DC being subtropical is understandable considering the winters are fairly short and the summers are hot and resemble the tropics, but Washington DC being temperate oceanic is a complete joke.
In all honesty, I'd say that they are more "oceanic" than "continental", especially DC and Philadelphia. For starters, they are on the coast and they are reasonably damp, despite their strong continental elements (hot summer, cold winter). But I don't know.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:29 AM

895 posts, read 603,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
In all honesty, I'd say that they are more "oceanic" than "continental", especially DC and Philadelphia. For starters, they are on the coast and they are reasonably damp, despite their strong continental elements (hot summer, cold winter). But I don't know.
Well first of all Philadelphia and DC aren't on the coast.

The amount of precipitation doesn't matter in classifying a climate as oceanic vs. continental, and neither does geography by itself. NYC to Washington, D.C. are all continental due to what you said (hot summer and cold winter). Mid-latitude climates on the eastern side of a large continent tend to be continental because ocean-influenced moderating winds tend to blow from the west.

I agree with Omegaraptor. Prefer Koppen. One of the biggest reasons is because Trewartha's oceanic classification is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather