Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick
Sydney 36 64.29%
New York 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times

Advertisements

Have a feeling the votes are more for the city than the climate. Take NYC out of the question and drop Buffalo NY as a analogue and it'd be a near unanimous sweep. I've hardly met anyone in my life who told me they would prefer the climate of Southern Ontario to Coastal Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM

376 posts, read 240,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Have a feeling the votes are more for the city than the climate. Take NYC out of the question and drop Buffalo NY as a analogue and it'd be a near unanimous sweep. I've hardly met anyone in my life who told me they would prefer the climate of Southern Ontario to Coastal Australia.
I'm a moderate heat lover/ cold hater like most of the general population but weather forums naturally attract a lot of people who are interested in all types of weather. That said, I still find it odd that people would vote NY over Sydney

Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
I'm a moderate heat lover/ cold hater like most of the general population but weather forums naturally attract a lot of people who are interested in all types of weather. That said, I still find it odd that people would vote NY over Sydney
I lived in NYC for 12+ years and I absolutely hated the summers there. They are hot, humid, and the urban heat factor makes it worse. Everything just radiates heat. Going into an uncooled subway on a hot summer day is disgusting. The rest of the year is fine but summers imo are gross.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Sydney by far! It's not that Sydney is the city I live in, but I really dislike continental climates.

For perspective, here is the climate of Sydney's inland suburb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrit..._Wales#Climate

Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
NYC because it has appropriate weather for Christmas. If not for that, I'd have gone with Sydney.
I don't know about you but grilling shrimps on the barbie and seeing barbie at the beach, I can think of no better way to spend Christmas.

Christmas sentiment, Australian style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q

Old 07-16-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Sydney by far! It's not that Sydney is the city I live in, but I really dislike continental climates.

For perspective, here is the climate of Sydney's inland suburb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrit..._Wales#Climate
NYC isn't continental it's subtropical. Upstate NY however is continental.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:19 AM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
NYC and Buffalo have different climates. Buffalo is a quite a bit colder. Compare here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York#Climate

Buffalo averages almost 4C colder and almost 4x as much snow as NYC while getting much less sun.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 AM

3,170 posts, read 1,270,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
NYC isn't continental it's subtropical. Upstate NY however is continental.
Forgive me for asking that ( English isn't my native language). Did you mean Northern Newyork State by that? I have a feeling that "Upstate" means "Northern" in that sentence

Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Forgive me for asking that ( English isn't my native language). Did you mean Northern Newyork State by that? I have a feeling that "Upstate" means "Northern" in that sentence
Yes you are correct.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 AM

623 posts, read 674,751 times
NYC. I'll take hotter summers in exchange for a much cooler winter and some winter snow. Sydney barely gets frost, much less snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather