Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Bernardino or Beaumont, Texas Gulf Coast?
San Bernardino (dry heat but crappy air quality and fire risk) 6 42.86%
Beaumont (humid heat, hurricanes, but cleaner air, less fire risk) 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:18 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times

Advertisements

Read below before rating:

San Bernardino:

Has one of the nation's worst, if not the worst, air quality, especially during the summer, especially during heat waves.
Has Santa Ana winds during Fall and Winter, very strong, dry, hot, winds that elevate fire danger
Has RAINLESS summers (that also elevate fire danger)

Beaumont, Texas:
Is very hot and humid during the summer but has abundant rain all year round, especially during the summer
Air quality not great but better than San Bernardino.
Of course, high flooding and hurricane risk, as we saw with Harvey.

I know people are always going to argue that in San Bernardino you can drive an hour and be at the coast where it's 25 degrees cooler, BUT for the purpose of this thread, look only at the inhabited city proper of San Bernardino itself, and the city proper of Beaumont, Texas only.

I vote Beaumont for better air quality, greenery during the summer, minimal fire and flooding danger, and delightfully warm summer nights.

Last thread, I made a post of San Bernardino vs. Orlando, and Orlando won by a landslide (what gives? I thought Orlando has that sticky heat everyone hates?) So I wonder, will San Bernardino still lose when pitted against Beaumont, a city which has the same sticky heat as Orlando BUT has hurricanes?

Because I'm starting to think that people actually think muggy weather by the Gulf Coast or Florida is not bad at all, maybe even better than the heat in Inland California. I'm starting to think that the main issue with Florida weather is not the humidity, it's the hurricanes (except in Orlando, which seldom gets hurricanes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 10:20 PM
tij

453 posts, read 337,673 times
San bernadino, summers seem more bearable. Prefer beaumont's precip total though for these temps and its winters. NorCal is a lot nicer though for milder summers/cooler winters and more precip. Lowland Florida and Texas are not my cup of tea.

Last edited by tij; 07-30-2019 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 12:56 AM

895 posts, read 604,391 times
Beaumont because it has storms and much more rain as well as slightly cooler winter highs.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:06 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Last thread, I made a post of San Bernardino vs. Orlando, and Orlando won by a landslide (what gives?

I'll tell you what gives. You put your own bias into the poll. When you made the climate battle it basically said "crappy air quality vs. good air quality." You put a catch on one of the choices instead of just laying the cards on the table like "San Bernardino vs. Orlando."

This one does the same exact thing ("fire risk/terrible air vs. less fire risk"), so of course since the stats are conveniently left out, people are mostly going to vote for the favored one.

But the real truth is: your last paragraph is just wrong, and a lot of people do hate humidity, mugginess, and stickiness over dry heat. All your poll really shows is that people hate bad air quality (which is obvious), not that they think FL is better than SoCal.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:07 AM

895 posts, read 604,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I'll tell you what gives. You put your own bias into the poll. When you made the climate battle it basically said "crappy air quality vs. good air quality," instead of "San Bernardino vs. Orlando."

This one does the same exact thing ("fire risk vs. less fire risk"), so of course since the stats are conveniently left out, people are mostly going to vote for the biased version.
Exactly this.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Beaumont wins this climate battle hands down, nuff’ said

Old 07-31-2019, 10:51 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Beaumont wins.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
San Bernardino for better winters.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:12 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
I like Beaumont for the increased rainfall.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:51 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,975,599 times
Beaumount for the rain although both are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather