Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer?
Lima 13 56.52%
Yuma 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times

Advertisements

Lima seems like a fantastic climate. I would like it even better if it had more rain and some cooler temperatures in the 40s and 50s. A B grade for Lima.

Yuma = burning hot hell on earth. Definitely an F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 10:47 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Yuma by miles. Lima cimate = loathe it.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:46 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Which desert climate would you prefer?

A) The cloudy desert with a marine influence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima#Climate

or

B) The sunny desert with a more stereotypical desert climate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuma,_Arizona#Climate
Spent some time in Lima...liked it and the temps were always pleasant even if the clouds came to the surface. Yuma is just too hot in the summer although I would take their winters over Lima for a year round climate, Lima is better.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I’ve been to Lima four times and have never once seen the sun, though it did peek out briefly last week on my way to the airport. So I guess I should change that to...I saw the sun once for less than a minute. I’ve never been to Yuma in the summer but it was lovely in the winter.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,422 times
I prefer Yuma.

Summers in Yuma are extremely hot, but the low humidity would probably make it feel not as bad as somewhere like DFW, OKC, Nashville/Murfreesboro, Little Rock or Huntsville. Also, it's the rainier of the two, so it would be at least not as hard on those drought-tolerant plants I would grow in a place like that. Thus, Yuma is the polar opposite of a subarctic climate, and it's better than them by a parsec for someone like me.

On the other hand, Lima has even cloudier winters than summers (although the high UV index/low latitude would make up for it), humidity is even worse than what I'm used to, and it gets even less rain than the hyper-arid Turpan, China (which is still so little that even desert plants may dry out without irrigation). The humidity normally wouldn't be a factor at that temperature, except the La Nina/El Nino cycle could raise the temperatures drastically in some years, which could make afternoons feel as bad as the cities mentioned above do in the evening (even worse than afternoons in them because I get completely soaked with sweat in minutes).

As for winter? I'd give both winters an A+ score temperature-wise. Average highs in the 60s and low 70s are ideal for me, even when you consider that highs in the upper 50s and/or mid 70s (both still quite comfortable) are very possible at times. Plus, with frost being rare, I could grow my own lemons and not have to worry about them being killed, I could safely move my aloe outdoors, I could grow tropical varieties of cacti, and I could grow California Fan Palms with practically zero risk of any damage (even leaf burn) in even unusually cold winters.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:38 AM

137 posts, read 81,965 times
Both are bad but Yuma is much worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather