Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:04 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm going to retract my earlier statement. I went into nearby town yesterday (35 minutes away and slightly lower elevation) and noticed a number of trees there do seem to be suffering, very dry and dead brown leaves. Funny how that slight change in location makes a difference.
My parents' live at about 1500' between Blountville and Kingsport and they are already losing a lot of leaves - just drying up and falling.

My Kingsport office is below 1200' and it's almost always five degrees hotter or so than in Bristol or where my parents live. It has been brutal here - pretty much 90 or above and no appreciable rain all month. I often walk at lunch and it's largely been too hot to do. There were some isolated showers last Saturday, but that's all I can remember.

I was in Bristol last Friday afternoon and saw 97/98 consistently on the call.

Most of TN is now D-0.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...onitor.aspx?TN

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 09-19-2019 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 07:34 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Yeah, it's always sort of amazed me that even though Bristol and JC aren't that far apart, every fall when I'd go to visit my daughter I'd notice that JC always seemed to see fall color ahead of Bristol. Interesting to see that kind of variation within such a short distance.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM

38 posts, read 28,749 times
Any fall color is likely done for with this weather unfortunately.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:15 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser prole View Post
Any fall color is likely done for with this weather unfortunately.
Indeed. At my house, that seems to be the case. This is a situation so bad that it's going to be impossible for the trees to become active again until late March/early April. Very depressing, considering the peak autumn foliage is usually over a month later than this...

Old 09-19-2019, 07:27 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Same in southern Indiana, less than one inch of rain the last month and a half. Horrid heat and brutal sun with off and in humidity.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Indeed. At my house, that seems to be the case. This is a situation so bad that it's going to be impossible for the trees to become active again until late March/early April. Very depressing, considering the peak autumn foliage is usually over a month later than this...
I ran across some pics from early last November on my phone and the leaves were still mostly out. The good news is that the heat has really gone down over the last few days.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 AM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I ran across some pics from early last November on my phone and the leaves were still mostly out. The good news is that the heat has really gone down over the last few days.
The peak is usually in late October here. Still though, that is "over a month" after the time of writing.

Indeed. November is usually one of the most depressing months for me. Everything just starts feeling so dark and dead then. The same feeling gets even worse in December and gets no better in January; only in February do things improve.

Also, I forgot to take a good look at the Caney and Indian Creek today. Sorry everyone.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:23 AM

Pretty much the entire state is now in some level of drought, with a lot of D1 and a small bit of D2.

We've had a bit of drizzle in the Tri-Cities, but nothing significant. Burn bans are being put into place and I'm becoming more concerned about wildfires as leaves fall. Highs will remain in the upper 80s with only a nominal chance of remain at least until next Friday here in the Tri-Cities.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...onitor.aspx?TN

Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I’m in one of the small pockets with no drought. My workplace is in D-1. You can definitely tell the difference.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:04 AM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I have a few sugar maple trees that lost a good chunk of leaves (turned half brown). I have even watered them. Horrid drought and heat, a very depressing Fall. Plan on going to the Northwoods next weekend to actually have nice Fall weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather