Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
Calypso Deep 17 60.71%
Vostok Station 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 04:31 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times

Advertisements

Around five million years ago the mediterranean basin was completely dry leading to land at depths as low as 16,000ft below sea level. As you would imagine the climates present in such areas were unbelievably extreme. This battle pits a simple estimation of what one of those climates might look like against what is universally seen as the worst climate on earth today. 

Calypso Deep:

Vostok Station:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:59 PM

113 posts, read 77,842 times
Calypso deep since during at least half the year it's possible to go outside.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:02 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekul565 View Post
Calypso deep since during at least half the year it's possible to go outside.
Their winters make very pleasant summer weather. During their summer, just stay indoors and I’m sure the climate would have their infrastructure and vehicles build for the heat.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:33 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Calypso for being partly habitable part of the year, both are horrendous climates though

Old 10-02-2019, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,391 times
Calypso Deep: X----
(Way too hot year round.)

Vostok Station: D-
(Too dry, Winters intolerable for my taste)

Vostok Station for sure.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:17 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Calypso Deep is the better one. Both are absolutely horrendous, but at least I could go outside during winter in Calypso Deep or else spend my time outside on higher ground. There's no escaping Vostok's conditions apart from moving out completely.

I was like "...where?" when I saw Calypso Deep and thought it was a fictional climate vs. a real one. I was expecting another super cold climate until I saw otherwise.

I wonder how much longer it'll be before the Messinian Salinity Crisis repeats itself.

EDIT: I bet it'd be possible to boil water on the ground there during summer days. Death Valley has reached a ground temperature up to 201F, but the air temperature there only reached 134F on record (the hottest in the modern world).

EDIT 2: I wonder what flora and fauna would live there. I bet probably no animals, and any plants would probably have to be extremely salinity-tolerant and drought-tolerant. Maybe even heat-deciduous in summer?

EDIT 3: If you plugged in the average July high of 144F there and average RH of 63% in Messina, Italy in July, you'd have a heat index of 413F! Imagine what that would do to us; I bet the abundance of hot water vapor would scald us instantly. The record high of 170F at the same RH would be a 707F heat index! However, the theoretical maximum temp would be 176F, yielding a heat index of 785F! (assuming RH is still constant)

EDIT 4: I wonder how Calypso Deep, or Death Valley after all the polar ice melted, would stack up against a glacial-period Vostok... I've heard life in Antarctica hung on by a thread at the last glacial maximum, and polar regions have warmed faster than temperate and subtropical ones lately.

EDIT 5: How do you do those climate data boxes? (apart from the ones you can just find)

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 10-02-2019 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-11-2019, 08:08 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times
Calypso Deep is the better climate because it's habitable half the year.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Calypso although both are uninhabitable from May until September.

I imagine going outside in Calypso would in the summer would involve wearing a fireman's suit just as going out in winter in Vostok Station would involve similar measures of protection (arctic gear).

The winter in Calypso is quite nice though, just a hot summer just as summer in Vostok Station would be like visiting Siberia in parts of the winter except there is more sun which would make it better.

This is a good comparison actually.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:52 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
November-March in Calypso Deep is miserable, but you can go outside without special protection. You can't say the same for Vostok, and the five months of perpetual darkness there means I'm going with Calypso Deep.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:09 PM
tij

453 posts, read 336,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
November-March in Calypso Deep is miserable, but you can go outside without special protection. You can't say the same for Vostok, and the five months of perpetual darkness there means I'm going with Calypso Deep.
This exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather