Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Victoria, BC to have a warm temperate climate?
Yes 7 17.95%
No 32 82.05%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:41 AM

650 posts, read 451,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you think you would actually feel cold most of the time during summer in Victoria?
Well for summer standards it isn't all that warm, but I certainly wouldn't be cold nor would I be complaining. Warm to me in the summer is at least San Diego level or at the very minimum Vancouver rather than Victoria. I was also looking at the first weather box too. The 2nd one seems warm in the summer though, while the first seems nice and mild. Either way it's t-shirt weather for most of the year in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,719,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I would say those summer evenings, in the wind down by the ocean, would likely be chilling. However daytime would not feel cool, especially since summers are very sunny there and direct sun always feels hot at 18C+ imo. People in hotter climates seek shade more in the summer, Victorians probably prefer to sit in the sun.
Not just hotter climates, but anywhere with a strong sun - even oceanic climates are generally going to be too unpleasant for most people to choose sun over shade in midday sunlight.

Victoria would likely be calm in the evening, and windier during the day.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,974,645 times
Quote:
I think the best description I've seen of temperate climates, is that they are climates that have some influence from both tropical and polar sources -under that definition, warm temperate could mean the top end of the Cfa climates, which would certainly exclude places with regular snow and frost.

Including all this e cities under one banner, doesn't really provide any understanding on what warm temperate would mean.
I think there are five categories, not three.
I'd classify things as:
Tropical
Subtropical
Temperate
Subpolar
Polar

Otherwise the temperate definition is too large to be meaningful.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I think there are five categories, not three.
I'd classify things as:
Tropical
Subtropical
Temperate
Subpolar
Polar

Otherwise the temperate definition is too large to be meaningful.
There is still the thorny issue of how subtropical and warm temperate are defined -just as warm temperate areas must support greater levels of ecological activity than cold temperate climates, then so must subtropical areas support more than warm temperate areas.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:13 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,974,645 times
Quote:
There is still the thorny issue of how subtropical and warm temperate are defined -just as warm temperate areas must support greater levels of ecological activity than cold temperate climates, then so must subtropical areas support more than warm temperate areas.
I'd maybe go with temperate areas look dead in winter while subtropical areas don't. But there's always going to be a gradient in environmental characteristics between regions, so it's not like there will ever be a perfect, uncontroversial way to classify things.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:27 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,727,759 times
Quote:
I'd maybe go with temperate areas look dead in winter while subtropical areas don't. But there's always going to be a gradient in environmental characteristics between regions, so it's not like there will ever be a perfect, uncontroversial way to classify things.
Do Victoria and Minneapolis both look dead in winter? Seems a lot of people want to label both cold temperate climates.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
It's only inconsistent to those who consider that summer most defines a climate overall. The environment of an area is most determined by what happens during the coldest part of the year, so it would make better sense to base degree of temperate-ness/subtropical-ness based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Do Victoria and Minneapolis both look dead in winter? Seems a lot of people want to label both cold temperate climates.
Another illogical outcome that comes from disregarding the impact that winter has on the environment, and ignoring the fact the summer has almost no impact on the environment.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:02 PM

855 posts, read 774,176 times
Quote:
I would say Victoria looks very green in winter. Summer is very brown/dead in terms of grass and fields, though obviously trees are still green. Opposite to Minneapolis basically.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,727,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I would say Victoria looks very green in winter. Summer is very brown/dead in terms of grass and fields, though obviously trees are still green. Opposite to Minneapolis basically.
So then that begs the question, why do people want to say that Victoria is not warm temperate if it looks very green in winter? People here seem to want to put it in the same temperate category as places like Minneapolis. I mean look at the poll 21 to 3.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
So then that begs the question, why do people want to say that Victoria is not warm temperate if it looks very green in winter? People here seem to want to put it in the same temperate category as places like Minneapolis. I mean look at the poll 21 to 3.
I would say it's because so many people don't think it through properly- winter is what links climates, because it's what links environments, flora and fauna.

Thinking that summer defines the climate and explains the environment, is a failure of logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather