Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Victoria, BC to have a warm temperate climate?
Yes 7 17.95%
No 32 82.05%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 11:45 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times

Advertisements

Climate classifications have more to do with minimum temps in the winter than summer or average temps. That's why its on the warm temperate side, although just barely. And the Mediterranean aspect is simply the rainfall pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 12:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I have to disagree with the popular opinion, unfortunately.

For me, warm temperate is anything warmer than hemiboreal but colder than subtropical, so yes. Places with either a Dfa or Cfb climate (or their dry winter/summer equivalents) generally support more plant species than Dfb but fewer than Cfa,although this does of course vary on a case-by-case basis. Thus, I would consider Victoria to be "mild warm temperate" as opposed to Chicago's "harsh warm temperate."
Warm temperate climates should grow more plants than mild/cool temperates climates -if there are exceptions, then it is incorrect to use vegetation when it suits your view, and ignore vegetation when it doesn't suit your view

Old 10-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

Maybe "warm temperate" is a way to differentiate that kind of climate Vs. climates with similar summers but actual cold winters ? (like, say, Scandinavians or baltic climates for instance).
Then you're really just saying that my climate and Stockholm's climates, are really just variants of each other - not seeing the logic here.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:01 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
If Victoria is not considered a warm temperate climate, would it be considered a cold temperate climate then?
Does it have a lot in common with climates like Oslo or Sapporo?

Old 10-07-2019, 03:37 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Then you're really just saying that my climate and Stockholm's climates, are really just variants of each other - not seeing the logic here.

Oh no I don't want to get into a debate with you about this

I don't even understand this whole "warm temperate" thing really, I just think this place is oceanic with a mediterranean influence, like most of this area. And as such, I don't see why it would be classified as warm something, except in regards to places which are continental but without the hot summers (hence my examples), so places with a lower annual average.

I mean, my place is a whole 3c warmer than Victoria on a yearly basis, so are we "Hot temperate" then ?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:11 PM

676 posts, read 647,722 times
No.

Warmest and most pleasant climate in Canada. But not "Warm, temperate"... nowhere really qualifies for that in the country. I'd consider a climate like Porto, Portugal warm, temperate... winter average highs still need to reach the teens.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Oh no I don't want to get into a debate with you about this

I don't even understand this whole "warm temperate" thing really, I just think this place is oceanic with a mediterranean influence, like most of this area. And as such, I don't see why it would be classified as warm something, except in regards to places which are continental but without the hot summers (hence my examples), so places with a lower annual average.

I mean, my place is a whole 3c warmer than Victoria on a yearly basis, so are we "Hot temperate" then ?
Temperate climates are pretty much all climates except tropical and polar climates, so it shouldn't be hard to place all individual temperate locations into cold, cool/mild, or warm temperate categories.

Bologna would be cool/mild temperate, same as Victoria and my climate.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:03 AM

855 posts, read 771,594 times
Quote:
Temperate climates are pretty much all climates except tropical and polar climates, so it shouldn't be hard to place all individual temperate locations into cold, cool/mild, or warm temperate categories.

I think that’s the problem with the temperate category, it sort of covers absolutely everything except the extremes (polar or tropical).

I like “oceanic with Mediterranean influences” to describe the PNW. It’s the most accurately descriptive imo.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Quote:

then we can put Stockholm in the group as well !

Old 10-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I think that’s the problem with the temperate category, it sort of covers absolutely everything except the extremes (polar or tropical).

I like “oceanic with Mediterranean influences” to describe the PNW. It’s the most accurately descriptive imo.
Warm temperate isn't a specific climate as such, rather just a general grouping of temperate climates based on warmth, and the most obvious manifestation of warmth -the ability to sustain higher levels of ecological activity.

Rainfall obviously impacts on levels of ecological activity, but other than that, the warmer a temperate climate is, the greater the level of plant/animal activity will be.

Quote:
then we can put Stockholm in the group as well !
There's about 6C between Stockholm's average temperature (7.6C) and that of Bologna(13.6C) - temperate climates have a range of annual temperatures from approximately -9C/30C, so on a global scale, Stockholm and Bologna aren't that different.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-08-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather