Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 03:24 PM

855 posts, read 771,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
That would be ridiculous. Besides, the Californian Channel Islands are almost completely frost-free and have never recorded any snowfall, but they don't even have a subtropical climate in Koppen's system due to the mild summers and aren't tropical in the Holdridge nor Trewartha systems either.

Plus, most subtropical climates, even if they can/do get snow, lack much of it. Where I live has uncomfortably chilly winters, yet is still mild enough that snow cover exists less than 10% of the winter and some actual subtropical plants can thrive.

So I seriously doubt they'd be making that claim, and it'd be ridiculous if they did.
Chicago is about as far from being subarctic as it is from being subtropical. Further actually. Both are ridiculous claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 03:25 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Chicago is about as far from being subarctic as it is from being subtropical. Further actually. Both are ridiculous claims.
I strongly agree.

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 11-11-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I strongly agree.
I think it’s closer to being subtropical than subarctic. Southern Illinois is in fact subtropical under Koeppen. Amazing how warm averages are just a few hours south of Chicago.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:37 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
I think it’s closer to being subtropical than subarctic. Southern Illinois is in fact subtropical under Koeppen. Amazing how warm averages are just a few hours south of Chicago.
Chicago is closer to subtropical? No way! A truly subtropical climate would never have accumulating snow and negative single-digit wind chills in November. Now, New Orleans, where I road-tripped in 2013, that's subtropical. Chicago is continental for now, but it seems to be changing. Fast or slow, it's hard to say for sure, but it's not getting better.

Some people say that cold weather kills insect larvae, and that could be true. But Alaska has even colder winters than Chicago (for now), and it still has mosquito problems in the summer. Although that's probably due to standing water in small lakes, rather than summer temperatures.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Chicago is closer to subtropical? No way! A truly subtropical climate would never have accumulating snow and negative single-digit wind chills in November. Now, New Orleans, where I road-tripped in 2013, that's subtropical. Chicago is continental for now, but it seems to be changing. Fast or slow, it's hard to say for sure, but it's not getting better.

Some people say that cold weather kills insect larvae, and that could be true. But Alaska has even colder winters than Chicago (for now), and it still has mosquito problems in the summer. Although that's probably due to standing water in small lakes, rather than summer temperatures.
Almost everything you say is factually incorrect.
- Subtropical climates can indeed have accumulating snow, and wind chill is not a recognized metric. "Wind chill" is made up.
- Parts of Alaska are much milder than Chicago in the winter. The entire southern and central coastline, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka,_Alaska#Climate
- Southern Illinois is indeed subtropical according to the most widely recognized climate classification system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo,_Illinois#Climate
That's very apparent in its plant life and ecosystems too.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:41 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
The problem is "the data" doesn't come across as any more verifiable than people's " hunches". Figures are doctored and presented to reinforce a view and other data is ignored if it runs counter to that view. On both sides. Someone being paid to present findings and to agree doesn't make their views any more credible than a casual observer. Publishing those findings doesn't make them more credible if you're paid to promote a view. Weather has become advertised like its a product we're supposed to buy.
Temperature readings are open to interpretation. A city with a heat well effect from blacktop and buildings will skew temperature readings. One weather station out in the sticks versus a dozen in an urban area in a region will show its warmer than recorded data from 50 years ago if you compare them. But is it really?
My own impression is that we're seeing a weird shift in weather and temperatures in the NE. Summer, while not any hotter than usual seems to last longer and into the fall longer. Conversely, Spring seems to come later and winter lasts longer.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Temperature readings are open to interpretation. A city with a heat well effect from blacktop and buildings will skew temperature readings. One weather station out in the sticks versus a dozen in an urban area in a region will show its warmer than recorded data from 50 years ago if you compare them. But is it really?
Lol..this is just basic stuff. You think climatologists don't know about the urban heat island effect? They're a little smarter than you think.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The problem is "the data" doesn't come across as any more verifiable than people's " hunches". Figures are doctored and presented to reinforce a view and other data is ignored if it runs counter to that view. On both sides. Someone being paid to present findings and to agree doesn't make their views any more credible than a casual observer. Publishing those findings doesn't make them more credible if you're paid to promote a view. Weather has become advertised like its a product we're supposed to buy.
I agree 100%. I'm happy to see someone who questions authority, rather than blindly believing what they're supposed to believe. I took a statistics class in college. But I also learned the hard way that statistics can be as full of hot air as the thermals over Amazon. Whoever puts those statistics together are paid to present a certain viewpoint: something you're supposed to believe, rather than the reality in front of you.

Quote:
Lol..this is just basic stuff. You think climatologists don't know about the urban heat island effect? They're a little smarter than you think.
I find "their" smartness highly questionable. Why are "they" insisting that the world is warming up, with foam at "their" mouths, when much of North America is getting worse cold snaps than ever, and summers aren't getting any warmer. Are other parts of the world really warming up enough to offset the brutal North American winters we're starting to get every year? I highly doubt it. Somebody must be blowing smoke on the thermometers, and it's not from Camel or Marlboro.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
- Southern Illinois is indeed subtropical according to the most widely recognized climate classification system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo,_Illinois#Climate
That's very apparent in its plant life and ecosystems too.
Would places that have plant life and ecosystems with greater levels of activity throughout the year, also be regarded as subtropical, even if they aren't classified as such?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 PM

47 posts, read 39,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
WHERE is the warmth going?! Look at the USDA Hardiness Zone map and how it has changed from 1990 - 2006 - I can't wait to see the NEXT update!

https://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

You don't think there are real implications from this kind of change?
The change in hardiness from the 1990 to 2006 map isn't entirely accurate with measuring change in climate though since the period the 1990 map was recorded in had some of the worst winter's on record for the us East of the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather