Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
North or South Carolina definitely.
Florida, parts of Texas or Arizona, probably.

I hate being cold yet I also dislike wearing long sleeved shirts or jackets for warmth.
I don't mind sweating.
I hate airconditioned rooms below 75 F.
I don't mind when room temperatures are at 85 F and have "handled" rooms at 87 F and 89 F easily.
I like drinking large quantities of fluids.

Denmark used to own the U.S. Virgin Islands and I'm part Danish.
U.V. level aside, I'm much better suited to the U.S.V.I climate than any place with snow.
Hey my Canadian neighbors are moving, want to buy their house You would have loved it here today, heat index was 93, of course you know I hated it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:38 PM

422 posts, read 758,901 times
I just returned from a holiday in Central America. The warm 85 degree weather was refreshing at first, but it got tiring after a while. Also, the sun there is so strong it literally burns.

The other thing that was gross was that there were lizards, 2 inch long cockroaches, flies, and other nasty bugs everywhere. I guess one of the advantages of a cooler climate is that bugs are rare most of the year, and even during the summer time the ones you see are smaller in number and size since they can't grow year round.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 PM

422 posts, read 758,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Why is this country turning into a bunch of weaklings all of a sudden? Chances are, if you're a typical "white" American (or Canadian) from the "North," of western, northern, or eastern European ancestry, your ancestors, both in the US and back in the old country have lived in cold climates for hundreds and maybe even thousands of years. What's changed with American culture in the last fifty years or so with the migration to the so-called "sun belt"? The answer is air conditioning. Man has known about fire for tens of thousands of years, but air conditioning as we know it today is barely more than half a century old. Would you still be interested in moving to Florida, or Arizona, or Texas, or [insert sunbelt climate here] if there was no air conditioning? I doubt it.

When the British, Germans, French, Dutch, and [insert cold climate European nationality here] moved to warmer climates over the last several hundred years, it was called colonialism. There are very few countries in the world other than the US where people can freely move to a dramatically different climate and still be within their same country, with little change at all in their lifestyle. But there are some quirky problems with this American (and Canadian) migration to the sunbelt. People are sick of snow and cold and want to move to the desert of southern Arizona, but at the same time they still want to sing "let it snow" at Christmas time and put up plastic decorations of snowflakes on pine trees. People want to move down South, but still retain a northern daily work schedule instead of taking a daily siesta during the hot middle of the day like people around the world who live in hot climates do. They want to move down south but still eat the same old bland food. They want to have their cake and eat it too. The cultural stuff is silly, but one thing isn't-- skin cancer. Most white people are simply not built for desert environments. There is a reason why people around the world, the hotter the climate gets, the closer they get to the equator, the darker skin they have. The darker your skin, less harmful the sun's rays are to you; it's a genetic way of adaptation. And btw, I count myself in this too-- my skin is extremely pale. It's not that hard for me to get sunburned; I have to really watch out and put on sunscreen like crazy. Truth is, white people are really kidding themselves about moving to the "sunbelt."
Yup, true. The other thing I find comical is Americans insistence on using what's essentially Northern European housing technology (i.e. wood construction, with sloping roofs, etc.) for climates completely unsuited to it like in Texas, Louisiana, Arizona, etc. Between the humidity and/or termites, it's not a home built to last!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I just returned from a holiday in Central America. The warm 85 degree weather was refreshing at first, but it got tiring after a while. Also, the sun there is so strong it literally burns.
Moderator cut: word removed even now in May the sun here has a real kick to it! Many people testify that Melbourne has extreme solar radiation, they reckon it is even stronger than what you'd have in the Australian tropics - one girl who was in Broome and Cairns found the sun even more intense here!!!

Quote:
The other thing that was gross was that there were lizards, 2 inch long cockroaches, flies, and other nasty bugs everywhere. I guess one of the advantages of a cooler climate is that bugs are rare most of the year, and even during the summer time the ones you see are smaller in number and size since they can't grow year round.
I've seen a wasp with a wingspan the of a small bird here once. It was only once I witnesssed this last summer, but [Mod word removed [/mod] I almost **** myself! I also had a major infestation of black widow/redback spiders, whitetail spiders and Hunstmans.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Watch the language. I'm serious.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hey my Canadian neighbors are moving, want to buy their house You would have loved it here today, heat index was 93, of course you know I hated it
I don't have that kind of money... but yes, it sounds lovely.

Heat index of 93 F is hardly even "heat" to me.
Dressed in lightweight clothing I'd probably not even break a sweat.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 AM

I've found our 100 degree days quite comfortable when we had that heatwave in March. I seriously think you'd get used to it if you were exposed to it for a lengthy period of time.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
oh yeah, i got heat exhaustion once in the summer in the "Low Country" of South Carolina, which probably has the hottest, most humid summers of anywhere in the Lower 48, i've never had frostbite, though i've come close.
Really? I was in Hilton Head SC for 5 days in August. It was 97 F every day, lows down to 72-75 F every night and I thought it felt great. There was definite heat, but it was plenty cool enough at times, just cool enough at other times to handle easily.

Unless I was dressed like an Afgani women in a black head-to-toe burqa, heat exhaustion would be impossible.

*Are you saying even by my experience, Low Country SC is hotter than south Florida?
So far, heat indexes of 115 F and lower have been no problem for me.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 05-03-2008 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-03-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
oh yeah, my bad, thanks, so how long does it take until you become good at skiing?
Everyone is different. Have you ever waterskiied?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
I hate being cold! The hotter the better. Of course here in AZ we have no humidity which is very nice. 90 to about 105 is just perfect to me.
I agree with Vegaspilgrim though - it's silly how people here decorate for the holidays with snow themes. We have had many Christmas dinners out on the patio. The last thing I ever want to see in the desert is snow! If I ever want to see snow I will get in my car and drive a couple hours north.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM

Speaking of Vegas - Vegas is freezing in winter - average January low 33F, high 52F, am I correct? Surprised how often it actually snows there, yet they have the same July average high as Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather