Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think unmitigated climate change will impact the Great Plains of the Lower forty eight st
I think that the Great Plains may well see massive acidification under unmitigated global warming 1 9.09%
I think the Great Plains will likely remain relatively unchanged despite climate warming 5 45.45%
I think that the Great Plains are in danger of becoming an inland sea like it was millions of years ago 0 0%
I think the Great Plains will become colder and rainier than they currently are-the climate will not warm up 2 18.18%
Other opinions(Please Explain why you chose this option in this poll) 3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 05:25 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferous_Palm View Post
It was there even in Miocene, which is warmer than most of the realistic estimates of global warming, especially giving humans are not eternal and will likely die off someday not too far in future. And humans are the only reason of modern day warming, so...
A world wide nuke war will cool us down for a few years and then run away heating ramps up so fast no life will be left. Already the changes i have seen since 1990 tell me all i need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 05:33 AM

46 posts, read 32,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
A world wide nuke war will cool us down for a few years and then run away heating ramps up so fast no life will be left. Already the changes i have seen since 1990 tell me all i need to know.
Lystrosaurus laughs.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:13 PM

381 posts, read 248,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I find it highly likely that they're going to become a desert. They're overdue for a megadrought (the last one was before Columbus arrived), they're a steppe even between megadroughts, and neighboring regions to the west (western Texas, parts of Colorado, much of Wyoming, much of New Mexico, western Montana) are already desert.

I hope I'm not wrong. It's probably too late to save the Greenland Ice Sheet and Amazon Rainforest, and we're going to need the albedo increase a new desert would provide to make up for those losses.
The Dust Bowl of the 1930s wasn't a megadrought? Hmm..

There is very little desert in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Especially Western Montana which for the most part is very forested and FAR from being a desert. The few patches of desert that exist in the states you listed have been deserts for thousands of years, well before humans had any impact on the climate.

The Greenland Ice Sheet will be fine. The Amazon will be fine.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferous_Palm View Post
Lystrosaurus laughs.
The sky of a 1000 exploding suns should change your mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather