Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your LEAST favorite climate type?
Tropical [AF/AM/AS] 8 12.90%
Hot Desert [BWH] 17 27.42%
Cold Desert [BWK] 3 4.84%
Semi-Arid [BSH/BSK] 0 0%
Subtropical [CFA/CWA] 0 0%
Oceanic [CFB/CWB] 0 0%
Subpolar Oceanic [CFC/CWC] 1 1.61%
Hot Summer Mediterranean [CSA] 0 0%
Warm Summer Mediterranean [CSB] 1 1.61%
Hot Summer Contenental [DSA/DWA/DFA] 3 4.84%
Warm Summer Continental [DSB/DWB/DFB] 0 0%
Subarctic [DSC/DSD/DWC/DWD/DFC/DFD] 3 4.84%
Arctic [ET/EF] 25 40.32%
Other/something more specific 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 08:53 PM

104 posts, read 104,778 times

Advertisements

I already did the favorite climate types thread, and now I'm doing the least favorite climate types thread

For me, since I put Tropical as my favorite, I would put Arctic, the exact opposite of tropical, as my least favorite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 09:43 PM

346 posts, read 194,823 times
All the cold climates I don't like. That being said, I do like the vegetation of some of cold continental climates if they have some coniferous trees and such BUT as you know, Johnny, I don't like cold weather or anything below 40F (really 50F).

Old 12-21-2020, 10:32 PM

208 posts, read 149,351 times
Either tropical or hot desert.

Tropical climates usually have between 8 and 12 months of unbearable heat and depending on the climate, it can have around 4 months of livable temperatures, but as a rule, no tropical climate has a winter, that’s exactly what I would’ve miss the most if I had to move to a tropical town, because I love winter and snow.

The temperatures are one of the cons of tropical climates, however, they are obviously not the only ones. Another con of this kind of climate are bugs, bugs 24 hours and every day. Also, tropical disasters, such as hurricanes, severe thunderstorms and floods, aren’t only cons, they are also and the main reason why tropical countries are poorer, let’s face it, tropical thunderstorms have potential to destroy human settlements.

Hot deserts don’t have bugs, neither tropical disasters, however, those places would literally be unlivable for 3 months if Air Conditioning didn’t exist.

Last edited by Massiveshibe; 12-21-2020 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-21-2020, 11:02 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,115,597 times
My least favorite climates in the world are the driest deserts. I consider climates with less than an inch of rain per year so bad that they are literally on the same level as Mars or Vostok, Antarctica - unliveable. Of these, the hot deserts are worse, combining unliveable rain totals with extreme heat for months on end.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:17 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,630,898 times
Arctic is the worst. Subarctic is much better.

Subpolar Oceanic is also bad.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,829,683 times
You should've made the poll a multiple choice.

Subpolar Oceanic for the overall dampness, permanent coolness and anaemic sunshine hours. I didn't choose Arctic cos that was an obvious choice.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,439,498 times
Arctic Tundra if I had to pick one, but hate subarctic and hemiboreal (dfb) climates as well. I love warm and hate cold

Old 12-22-2020, 12:11 AM

167 posts, read 110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I love warm and hate cold
I think we all know that already but thanks for reminding us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiveshibe View Post

Tropical climates usually have between 8 and 12 months of unbearable heat and depending on the climate, it can have around 4 months of livable temperatures, but as a rule, no tropical climate has a winter, that’s exactly what I would’ve miss the most if I had to move to a tropical town, because I love winter and snow.

The temperatures are one of the cons of tropical climates, however, they are obviously not the only ones. Another con of this kind of climate are bugs, bugs 24 hours and every day. Also, tropical disasters, such as hurricanes, severe thunderstorms and floods, aren’t only cons, they are also and the main reason why tropical countries are poorer, let’s face it, tropical thunderstorms have potential to destroy human settlements.

Hot deserts don’t have bugs, neither tropical disasters, however, those places would literally be unlivable for 3 months if Air Conditioning didn’t exist.
I second this exactly and I think tropical barely takes the edge over hot desert because while the heat is usually less dangerous, the hurricanes, endless heat and humidity that even the AC can't cope with and resulting poverty of such a climate is generally much worse.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:29 AM

346 posts, read 194,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiveshibe View Post

I agree with you on the bugs part because I'm not a fan of most insects (some are beautiful and I respect they are part of nature) and I'm a mosquito magnet. Other than that, I LOVE warm/hot year round climates. I do understand in many tropical places, they are targets for powerful cyclones but them again, temperate regions get them too, all the time. As for severe weather (severe thunderstorms and tornadoes), I find that the midwestern and parts of the southeast US is the main haven for that because of the geography and how those polarizing air masses clash to produce all those violent tornadoes and severe thunderstorms with insane straight line winds. The air in the tropics are more stable (rarely any strong cold fronts clashing with hot tropical air in those regions) outside of tropical cyclone systems that start off in the ocean.

Now the warm, drier climates - I like those as well. I do like the Mediterranean more than desert of course (the former clearly has more vegetation and more moisture). However, I need some rain and humidity once in a while. I know I'm quite different preferring the later (most ppl seam to hate humidity and heat together), though.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:37 AM

377 posts, read 253,556 times
I like Tropical, Subarctic, and Humid Continental climates. I dislike, Hot & Cold Desert, Semi-Arid, and Arctic climates. I have neutral feelings for the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather