Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Snow Squall?
Yes 22 68.75%
No 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:43 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Quite a bit when I was stationed out west. Like someone said above, beautiful when enjoyed from indoors with a nice fire going. Scary when stuck driving in one.

I also got to experience cool ground blizzards driving back and forth to work. Those are really fascinating. Snow blown along the ground so thick you can't see the road right in front of you. Yet look out the window and the sky is clear. Actually been in some where I couldn't see my feet, but sun was shining and blue skies. From the waist down was blowing snow, but nothing hardly above that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 09:13 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times
I think I experienced one in February 2015. It was a couple days before a big snowstorm and we got about 1/2" (1 cm) in 20 or 30 minutes, with it having been sunny most of the rest of the day. It was heavy snow that significantly reduced visibility, but we had a snow day that day anyway so it wasn't really a problem.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
was in NYC during the snow squall; wished I could have watched it roll in. just noticed it snowing hard out the window

Old 12-21-2019, 12:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yesterdays crossing of the arctic front triggered snow squall warnings.

Check out this timelapse from NYC... nice!!!

For those of you who never experienced it, before it happens sometimes its a sunny day and you see a wall of cloud in the distant... then it arrives and visibility drops to under 1/2 mile and it basically looks like fog from certain angles above, but at the surface its like a blizzard with wind gusts too. Its very cool to experience. High ratio snows too since its happening in very cold air.

They produce 1-2"/hr rates of snow depending the width or length of time.

https://twitter.com/DavidJonesTV/sta...13019220807680
I recently experienced one in Forest Lakes, AZ on Thanksgiving night. Snow was so heavy that I couldn't see more than a car length ahead with the fog lights on and wipers on full blast!

The road was closed later that evening

Old 12-23-2019, 04:55 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Cool posts guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I recently experienced one in Forest Lakes, AZ on Thanksgiving night. Snow was so heavy that I couldn't see more than a car length ahead with the fog lights on and wipers on full blast!

The road was closed later that evening
That looks like it was more convective bands from a storm system and trough digging down. https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx...e=201911280618

Quote:
the well-advertised storm system is generally on track,
with perhaps the main changes being a slightly slower timing of
frontal progression into Arizona, and an uptick in the potential
for precipitation across southeast California. Still expecting
precipitation to develop across both parts of southeast
California, and south-central Arizona by Thursday morning. In
fact, some CAM guidance shows isolated showers developing later
tonight east of Phoenix. This would be associated with a broad
low-level warm advection regime advecting the aforementioned
moisture plume northward. There is some concern for localized
heavier rates
into southern Gila County overnight tonight, but
confidence is still low in this potential.

Still expecting more significant precipitation chances to develop
on Thursday, and will likely bring travel impacts, especially to
higher elevation areas. The amount of shower activity preceding
the front is still unclear, but at least a decent number of
ensemble members showing scattered areas of light precipitation,
with better chances across terrain-favored areas. Meanwhile, most
of the heavy precipitation potential will accompany the strong
cold front moving eastward. HREF ensemble guidance shows marginal
destabilization occurring near the Colorado River during the
afternoon, which should aid in more intense low-topped convection
developing along the cold front. Wind profiles are very favorable
for producing strong wind gusts with this convection.
Additionally, a 50-60 kt southerly low-level jet will be
positioned across southern Arizona, and will further enhance wind
gust potential, even away from any convective bands.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:06 AM

BTW -- It's a Federal Alert. So they send the Snow Squall Warning on your phone. I didn't know this and thought it was an Amber alert when it was sent last week.

A Snow Squall Warning itself is still a relatively new concept for the NWS, but the push alert is brand new this week, and it comes from the Federal Communications Commission.

The FCC's WEA System issues warnings like Amber and Presidential alerts, and several weather warnings, mostly focusing on immediate time sensitive dangers. This includes Tornado Warnings and Snow Squall Warnings, but not Winter Storm Warnings, which have much more notice.

Unlike a winter storm, a snow squall is a narrow heavy band of snow that moves in quickly with very low visibility, like a short-lived blizzard, a hazard that most affects travelers.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:39 AM

I dont have clear views around here to witness something like this...

In Rhode Island near the coast. Snow Squall.

https://twitter.com/ryanhanrahan/sta...21513881083905

Old 01-09-2020, 11:23 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I voted yes but it wasn’t as intense as the snow squalls above. It was sometime in the late 90s or early 00s and I was visiting a local shopping centre - it was dry and there was no snow on the ground when we got there. By the time we left it started snowing intensely out of nowhere, with the snow virtually falling horizontally in a gusty wind. It turned white everywhere quickly and my face was in pain because it was being pelted with snow. Kids leaving with their parents were crying.

Can’t remember what year it was exactly though. I was in high school.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:41 AM

For those of you who never experienced it, this is what Graupel is. I just had a squall come through but it wasn't snow. It wasn't sleet either. It was Graupel. It's pellets that look like sleet but soft like snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdwVaOkup8

Old 01-20-2021, 10:54 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
For those of you who never experienced it, this is what Graupel is. I just had a squall come through but it wasn't snow. It wasn't sleet either. It was Graupel. It's pellets that look like sleet but soft like snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdwVaOkup8
Cool, I didn't know it had a special name, I've always just thought of it as dry snow or snow pellets as opposed to snowflakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather