Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one(s) do you prefer?
Virginia Beach 5 15.63%
Knoxville 6 18.75%
Oklahoma City 3 9.38%
St. George 0 0%
Medford 3 9.38%
Wilmington 4 12.50%
Memphis 2 6.25%
Dallas 2 6.25%
Las Vegas 3 9.38%
Sacramento 5 15.63%
Miami 12 37.50%
Brownsville 2 6.25%
Yuma 5 15.63%
Avalon 5 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 06:50 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,173,469 times

Advertisements

Dallas Texas and Miami Florida are my favorite climates out of that list of climates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 06:53 PM

434 posts, read 1,034,118 times
I like Dallas for being mostly warm but still being seasonal. Las Vegas is similar to Dallas in that sense with slightly warmer averages during winter and fall, but is extremely dry. For more seasonality, I'd go with Knoxville, but I must add Richmond, VA, probably the best southern city(major city) with seasons, 10 inches snow average, and similar weather to most of the south, beats Knoxville imo. Miami is the best for year round warmth, only occasionally getting cool weather which are just similar to a cool, early autumn day, nothing at all winter like most years. Yuma is not bad at all, just extremely dry.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:41 PM

1,056 posts, read 708,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
I like Dallas for being mostly warm but still being seasonal. Las Vegas is similar to Dallas in that sense with slightly warmer averages during winter and fall, but is extremely dry. For more seasonality, I'd go with Knoxville, but I must add Richmond, VA, probably the best southern city(major city) with seasons, 10 inches snow average, and similar weather to most of the south, beats Knoxville imo. Miami is the best for year round warmth, only occasionally getting cool weather which are just similar to a cool, early autumn day, nothing at all winter like most years. Yuma is not bad at all, just extremely dry.
Well, it sounds like you would make yourself at home easily in Dallas, Oklahoma City or Knoxville. Not only are all three warm and seasonal, you can even still grow palms in Knoxville (there are some Needle Palms on the UT campus that have lasted decades and reached nearly 10ft diameter), Oklahoma City is about as seasonal as a non-marginal subtropical gets, and Dallas is a HOT four-season climate (they'd even be BWh/BSh instead of BWk/BSk if they were arid).

Old 01-10-2020, 01:56 PM

1,503 posts, read 893,244 times
Miami is head and shoulders above the rest for me!

Old 01-10-2020, 05:58 PM

97 posts, read 86,592 times
Avalon. But it’s hardly perfect - the summers are cool. Yuma is nice in the cooler half of the year. I like the subtropical southwest because it hardly gets cold unlike the southeast where you get random cold shots which would kill your exotic plants. Miami is a nice too but I prefer subtropical over tropical because of the seasonal variation.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyland67 View Post
the southeast has native subtropical ecology, so saying a cold snap would kill your "exotic plants" in the south is erroneous, vague, and somewhat inaccurate.

STOP. WORRYING. ABOUT. EXTREMES. It's a little tiring.
Yes.

Something I dislike about many other Tennesseans is their stubbornness. They don't seem to realize that a lot what they're planting is subtropical and are too stubborn to plant Needle Palms and Dwarf Palmettos because of that. Bald Cypress, Southern Magnolia, Crepemyrtle, blackberries, Japanese Plum Yew, Japanese Banana, River Cane, invasive bamboos, Great Rhododendron, Adam's Needle Yucca, Mountain Laurel and even American Holly are primarily subtropical plants (and some of them exclusively so). So are the pansies they plant which live and bloom through the winter, as they won't do that in cold-winter climates nor with too little sun.

They do plant Blue Spruce, Dwarf Alberta Spruce and Norway Spruce, but they're heat tolerant enough to survive in some non-marginal, non-oceanic subtropical climates, so that doesn't really take away from our subtropicality. I get EXTREMELY annoyed that people would rather plant some banana that doesn't even have a perennial trunk and Crepemyrtles that make a huge pool mess instead of dwarf palms that stay green year-round; don't they realize that by planting palms and other subtropical evergreens, they could even attract tourists and reduce seasonal depression? Even Escarpment Live Oak will grow here unlike Southern Live Oak, although sadly it's a very little-known and hard to come by species (I expect they'd be popular if they were more widely available, judging by the popularity of Southern Magnolias and several deciduous oak species).

Old 04-13-2020, 02:50 PM

679 posts, read 351,885 times
All climates are too hot in summer.
Best to worst:
Knoxville: C
Virginia Beach: C-
Wilmington: C-
Memphis: C-
Avalon: C-
Oklahoma: C-
Brownsville: D+
Medford: D+
Dallas: D
Sacramento: D
Miami: D
St George: D
Las Vegas: F
Yuma: F

Old 04-13-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
All climates are too hot in summer.
Best to worst:
Knoxville: C
Virginia Beach: C-
Wilmington: C-
Memphis: C-
Avalon: C-
Oklahoma: C-
Brownsville: D+
Medford: D+
Dallas: D
Sacramento: D
Miami: D
St George: D
Las Vegas: F
Yuma: F
Wow. I'm actually a tad surprised Medford wasn't at least higher on your list, as you claim to be a UV hater too and it's higher latitude than the others.

I still understand though. Maybe summer heat is worse for you than strong UV. Just as winter cold is worse for me than weak UV.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:32 PM

679 posts, read 351,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Wow. I'm actually a tad surprised Medford wasn't at least higher on your list, as you claim to be a UV hater too and it's higher latitude than the others.

I still understand though. Maybe summer heat is worse for you than strong UV. Just as winter cold is worse for me than weak UV.
Yes, I hate heat even more than UV. It's not much difference for me between 1 month with UV index 10 and 2 monthes with UV index 11. They are both very high for me. When it's hot, I couldn't cover all my body with UV protecting clothes and I sweat heavily.
However, I could choose hotter climate if UV index will be much lower. I think 26°C with UV index 7 in July is slightly better than 20°C with UV index 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather