Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 10:36 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I don't live in Yuma, (travelled through long time ago), but if you know this, perhaps you could in fact; grow a coconut palm there with irrigation.

My suggestion would be to give it a try.
I don't either. I was just curious whether it would be a suitable climate (ignoring lack of rain), given that two places only 2-3F warmer on average and actually more prone to freezes are suitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 02:47 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
No. All it takes is one winter cold snap and it will be dead. Still a far better chance though than ever getting a CIDP to survive a single winter in somewhere like Raleigh, NC.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:58 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I don't either. I was just curious whether it would be a suitable climate (ignoring lack of rain), given that two places only 2-3F warmer on average and actually more prone to freezes are suitable.
Difference is even higher in December. Cool season in Yuma is bother cooler and longer.

December avg temps

Tampa: 63.1F
Brownsville: 62.2F
Yuma: 57.4F
Phoenix: 55.4F

Old 01-05-2020, 05:14 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
That area around TIA even on the bayfront is not as warm as the Interbay peninsula or Davis Islands due south of downtown. The difference is miniscule but significant enough for there to be pre-2010 (the benchmark freeze since 1989) coconuts in the latter areas.

St. Pete is nowhere near warm as Miami (neither in short term or the long term) and doesn't have any coconuts that pre-date 1989. However, the southern tip can run several degrees warmer than more inland locations hundreds of miles south.
Look at the lows in south ST pete during the winter. Much warmer than the whole Tampa area. I kept my tree alive from 1988 till 04 when i moved to the gulf. I had another Coconut in the back yard at my house in Tampa that was full grown that was killed in 2017 when it got to 27f where i lived on the Gulf. The owner of my old house could not cover it.

And you are very wrong about coconuts in south St pete before and after 1989 as they were here and there as i fished for a living back in them days and saw many. And you are very wrong about the temps in south St pete when it comes to winter lows. Do a search and see how close they are to Miami lows on cold winters nites. I lived in the area all my life and know what the real deal is on Coconuts and where they grow. I still saw many in south St pete right after 1986 after 6 super freezes in a row. And for the others coconuts don't like super heated dry air.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:42 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Look at the lows in south ST pete during the winter. Much warmer than the whole Tampa area. I kept my tree alive from 1988 till 04 when i moved to the gulf. I had another Coconut in the back yard at my house in Tampa that was full grown that was killed in 2017 when it got to 27f where i lived on the Gulf. The owner of my old house could not cover it.

And you are very wrong about coconuts in south St pete before and after 1989 as they were here and there as i fished for a living back in them days and saw many. And you are very wrong about the temps in south St pete when it comes to winter lows. Do a search and see how close they are to Miami lows on cold winters nites. I lived in the area all my life and know what the real deal is on Coconuts and where they grow. I still saw many in south St pete right after 1986 after 6 super freezes in a row. And for the others coconuts don't like super heated dry air.
A few may have survived the first two freezes ('83 and '85) but '89 was the killing freeze in St. Pete. The closest '89 survivors are on Ana Maria Island and neighboring barrier islands in Manatee County.

I did not deny the warmth of St. Pete, but St. Pete draws comparisons to Cocoa Beach...not Miami. Even when comparing MIA to Albert Whitted (one of the warmest stations in St. Pete, which literally sits in Tampa Bay), MIA absolute lows are still ~7 degrees higher or more. A comparison with a bay front station in Miami would blow St. Pete out of the water even more. Not to mention avg temps in Miami are much much warmer in winter. You are seriously understating how warm Miami is

Old 01-05-2020, 11:29 AM

1,378 posts, read 392,943 times
if you give plants plenty of potassium it makes the leaves a lot stronger & they may be able to withstand the cold a bit better. There is a dwarf coconut palm that produces coconuts when its only 4-5 feet tall, & you could grow them in pots & wheel them indoors when the temperature drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBk-pgHwc8

Old 01-05-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
A few may have survived the first two freezes ('83 and '85) but '89 was the killing freeze in St. Pete. The closest '89 survivors are on Ana Maria Island and neighboring barrier islands in Manatee County.

I did not deny the warmth of St. Pete, but St. Pete draws comparisons to Cocoa Beach...not Miami. Even when comparing MIA to Albert Whitted (one of the warmest stations in St. Pete, which literally sits in Tampa Bay), MIA absolute lows are still ~7 degrees higher or more. A comparison with a bay front station in Miami would blow St. Pete out of the water even more. Not to mention avg temps in Miami are much much warmer in winter. You are seriously understating how warm Miami is
I am talking the north end of the Skyway bridge. Dec 1989 was not that cold like the super freezes as was the early 80's.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
I wonder if coconuts grow further south from Yuma, along GoC beach areas like Rocky Point or Guaymas?

Old 01-05-2020, 01:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
I wonder if coconuts grow further south from Yuma, along GoC beach areas like Rocky Point or Guaymas?
Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) does have Coconut Palms, Guaymas is definitely warm enough for them (mean of 19°C in January), but not sure if they have them, since it's a much poorer city than Puerto Penasco. I know that Los Mochis, further down the coast does have them

Old 01-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) does have Coconut Palms, Guaymas is definitely warm enough for them (mean of 19°C in January), but not sure if they have them, since it's a much poorer city than Puerto Penasco. I know that Los Mochis, further down the coast does have them
There are some living south of LA Cali i think. Gotta remember peeps plant these things left and right so they may not last for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather