Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2020, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 894 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone there)
I'm writing a sort of a fantasy novel and it is set in a fictional country Magdalena. It is located in South America (which has an extremely different georgaphy there compared to reality), and I'm trying to make not just plot and characters, but also lore of the world quite complex, including climate. I'll try to go without spoilers to story in this post, but still:
WARNING! There may be spoilers to the story.
WARNING! Due to "artistic license", some aspects of the climate may be unrealistic. But that all is just because of some things I want to have in my novel)
WARNING! If I say that this type of weather is "pleasant"/"comfortable"/etc., remember - it is pleasant for me, not for everyone in the world! Everyone have different likes)

As for now, I created only one climate, though later I'll possibly make more)

Escondido is a capital of Magdalena, a large city located in eastern part of it, at the shores of a large river, but not at sea coast. It has a warm temperate/subtropical, four-season climate with no real dry season (though winter is quite drier than other seasons) (Cfa, if using -3C isotherm, or Dfa is using 0C isotherm).

Escondido is located at relatively low latitude (close to Comodoro Rivadavia), and it's winter sunshine is so low is because of different reason - winters are quite cloudy, despite being dry.
It's elevation is low.

Summers are warm to hot, sometimes a bit humid, mostly sunny, but still comfortable. Days above 30C are rare, just about 8-15 in a year. . In summers, warm and pleasant, downpouring but not very long rains are common, and thunderstorms are common as well.

Autumns are warm, sometimes quite chilly (especially in May). They are drier than summers and typically avoid high humidity, and in autumns deciduous trees on streets flash with fall foliage. In May, snow sometimes falls.

Winters are cool, snowy and quite dry. There is around 24-29 days with no temperature rising above zero in an average year. Snow cover is usually stable (at least in June-July). Harsh frosts are extrmely rare, and winter is mostly in range of pleasant -2C-6C.

Springs are warm, rainy and humid. However, they don't feel sticky and hot because of typically mild temperatures and chilly breeze from river and other water places. November is especially pleasant with high amounts of warm, comfortable rain and common thunderstorms.

Because of it's mild winter mean minima and warm summers, Escondido is in Hardiness Zone 8b and supports diverse subtropical flora.

I could tell you much more about the city, but I'm afraid to create too much spoilers, so sorry(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather