Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 04:27 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times

Advertisements

Before we start, I recommend checking out this thread about continental subpolar climates by imnotcreativewithnames: https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...subarctic.html

Anyways, there are Dsb and Dfb climates in the Southern Hemisphere. There were probably even more in South America when the Patagonian Ice Sheet existed and possibly New Zealand when its southern periphery was glaciated.

Personally, I think Dxb climates in the Southern Hemisphere should be called hemiaustral. I can't think of another good alternate word for hemiboreal (unlike subpolar continental for subarctic or subpolar hypercontinental for extreme subarctic), and Dxb climates are literally even less temperate than Cxa climates (I think the only true temperate climates are in or very close to the Cxb and Dxa thermal ranges). What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 11:52 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
I define "hemiboreal" as a climate that's near the subarctic/humid continental boundary.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I define "hemiboreal" as a climate that's near the subarctic/humid continental boundary.
Understandable, but all modern hemiaustral climates are near the Dxb/Dxc border. The seasonal variations in the temperate Southern Hemisphere are simply too small for more solidly hemiaustral climates.

Also, I believe "humid" is only a proper term for f climates. Any climate with a winter or summer drying trend isn't humid in my books, even if the other half of the year strongly is.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:00 PM

93 posts, read 58,552 times
In my opinion "hemiboreal/hemiaustral" should be used only in Dxb where no month has daily mean above +18C. For example, Helsinki is hemiboreal, while Perm is not, despite both being Dxb.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:21 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Understandable, but all modern hemiaustral climates are near the Dxb/Dxc border. The seasonal variations in the temperate Southern Hemisphere are simply too small for more solidly hemiaustral climates.

Also, I believe "humid" is only a proper term for f climates. Any climate with a winter or summer drying trend isn't humid in my books, even if the other half of the year strongly is.
Yeah, my terminology was a little off. I meant near the Dxc/Dxb boundary.

For hemiboreal/hemiaustral, I would say if the average of the fourth and fifth warmest months (usually May and Sept northern hemisphere, Nov and Mar southern hemisphere) is 8.6 - 11.4 C (47.5 - 52.5 F) then I'd call that hemiboreal.

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Canada, is a rare example of a climate that's a Dfb but solidly subarctic. Average between May and September is 7.8 C / 46.0 F, even June is still 11.4 C / 52.5 F. It's only Dfb because the temperatures just happened to line up perfectly to make September 10.0 C / 50.0 F for an average.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:03 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Quote:
Before we start, I recommend checking out this thread about continental subpolar climates by imnotcreativewithnames: https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...subarctic.html

Anyways, there are Dsb and Dfb climates in the Southern Hemisphere. There were probably even more in South America when the Patagonian Ice Sheet existed and possibly New Zealand when its southern periphery was glaciated.

Personally, I think Dxb climates in the Southern Hemisphere should be called hemiaustral. I can't think of another good alternate word for hemiboreal (unlike subpolar continental for subarctic or subpolar hypercontinental for extreme subarctic), and Dxb climates are literally even less temperate than Cxa climates (I think the only true temperate climates are in or very close to the Cxb and Dxa thermal ranges). What do you think?
Would you consider a humid continental climate borderline subarctic?

Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgonopian View Post
In my opinion "hemiboreal/hemiaustral" should be used only in Dxb where no month has daily mean above +18C. For example, Helsinki is hemiboreal, while Perm is not, despite both being Dxb.
Both of these hemiaustral climates lack any monthly means above 18C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Would you consider a humid continental climate borderline subarctic?
No way! LOL. Dxa places like Indy and Chicago are the hot-summer variety, while Dxc/Dxd are the short/cool summer variety. Dxb are the hemiboreal/hemiaustral ones

Also, it turns out, I didn't get the right place for Dsb in Argentina. I tried to find it and thought I did. I'll try to find it later, but someone else is welcome to post it here if I forget or I'm simply beaten to it.

EDIT: I found it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puente...hy_and_climate

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 02-19-2020 at 11:20 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 01:07 AM

93 posts, read 58,552 times
Quote:
Both of these hemiaustral climates lack any monthly means above 18C.
There probably were non-hemiaustral humid continentals in the past, as for now it is just not good time for them.)
Also - in Northern Hemisphere most Dxb climates with mean below 18C are, well, bordering on taiga.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:13 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
I’d stick to Dsb/Dfb/Dwb. If you want to give them descriptive names, as long as the terminology used is more or less backed up by previous works, go ahead, but I doubt that consistent matches to Köppen’s types are possible. The terms Hemiboreal and Hemiaustral look very loose to me (plus I wouldn’t choose names which should be different depending on the hemisphere) and ultimately I don’t feel they provide more information than the Köppen letters.

Then again, I wouldn’t put Ds together with Dw and Df. Ds are usually Highland Mediterranean climates, whereas Dw and Df are usually Continental climates, becoming Subpolar Oceanic in case of Df and a cold form of Subtropical Highland in case of Dw when close to the ET/C border, or Subpolar Continental when thermal ranges are very large and most of the year is below freezing.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
plus I wouldn’t choose names which should be different depending on the hemisphere
I don't disagree - I don't believe subarctic (or subantarctic) is right - but I can't think of any better terms for Dxb climates than hemiboreal/hemiaustral because humid doesn't apply to s and w climates, they may have mild summers but are absolutely not mild overall, and they're literally even less temperate than Cxa climates. But I can't really call them "cold" either because even Dxa climates are cold-winter climates, and I know only of extremely few Dxb thermal-range climates with permafrost (which is what I generally consider to be "cold"). So I'm still at least determined to eliminate the boreal bias/austral erasure if I can't think of a better term after trying very hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather