Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: OKC vs. Austin
OKC 7 31.82%
Austin 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 01:39 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,195,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
OKC has horrible weather. It's windy all year, winters are highly variable with extremely cold windy days possible. Summers can be just as hot as Austin so no relief there (look at OKC record highs) and springs are extremely volatile with tornadoes possible. Falls are also highly variable in OKC with drastic changes in temps.

Austin is a fairly nice climate IMHO. The hottest weather is usually dry, cold is present but limited, usually no more than 3 cold days in a row before a warm up, and spring is long and comfortable. For instance we've already had a few weeks of 60's/70's and more expected probably until late April. Our summers are long and predictable and plenty of sun. Falls are sunny and warm.
Oklahoma City Sounds like a warmer version of Indianapolis lol

Last edited by Isleofpalms85; 03-08-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 01:57 PM

679 posts, read 355,740 times
Quote:
OKC has horrible weather. It's windy all year, winters are highly variable with extremely cold windy days possible. Summers can be just as hot as Austin so no relief there (look at OKC record highs) and springs are extremely volatile with tornadoes possible. Falls are also highly variable in OKC with drastic changes in temps.

Austin is a fairly nice climate IMHO. The hottest weather is usually dry, cold is present but limited, usually no more than 3 cold days in a row before a warm up, and spring is long and comfortable. For instance we've already had a few weeks of 60's/70's and more expected probably until late April. Our summers are long and predictable and plenty of sun. Falls are sunny and warm.

34°C average high of hottest month in Oklahoma? 35°C in Austin? That's terrible for me, I could never live in climate with so hot summers. I think 35°C is good for all-time record high, not for average high.
Why I think Oklahoma is better? It has less dangerous sun and it's slightly cooler.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:04 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Really? OKC is windier than Austin? Remember, I'm talking about winds OTHER THAN tornadoes.

OKC in the winter is not that windy at all.

I'm a fan of humid, muggy weather, so whichever is muggier is for me.
I spent a winter in Oklahoma City once and was blasted by winds that originated somewhere north of Minnesota and proceeded south unmolested. Not at all pleasant.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:57 AM

1,056 posts, read 717,335 times
Both have miserable summers, but Austin is just a tad hotter. I always note both Austin and OKC/Norman as two of the worst three colossal U.S. cities for summer heat though, along with DFW; they simultaneously get the extreme heat further west and high humidity further east, which is a terrible combination for even a heat-tolerant cold-hater like me.

I say Oklahoma City is more pleasant. Its winters are barely chilly at all despite freezing at night (days are comparable to Chattanooga or Huntsville and nights Nashville), and the extreme humid heat wouldn't last quite as long as in Austin. Also, while Austin isn't near the coast, I still would be as distrusting as with Raleigh if not slightly more so due to how angry those Gulf hurricanes get; DFW, southern Arkansas or Atlanta is as close to the Gulf as I'd willingly live unless we had another Little Ice Age (although it'd probably also be as far as I'd willingly get in another full glacial period, if even that).

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 03-09-2020 at 04:22 AM..

Old 03-09-2020, 04:05 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,314,355 times
I prefer the ATX

Old 03-09-2020, 08:12 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,855,292 times
Austin for milder winters but the summers suck completely.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:52 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,963,861 times
Quote:

I feel like OKC doesn't get much wind in summer, which is the one season I want breezes to cool things off. I do wish OKC had a bit less variability, but I prefer it over Austin for being cooler.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,935,081 times
It seems like winds in OKC are more consistent than in other places but not extremely strong, other than tornadoes.

Other places get stronger winds than OKC, just more occasionally.

Not once during this winter in OKC have the winds been so strong that they rattled my windows and I couldn't sleep. But there are pockets of Orange County, California (where I lived) where I couldn't sleep because the wind rattled the windows all night long.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:51 PM

14,263 posts, read 11,573,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
It seems like winds in OKC are more consistent than in other places but not extremely strong, other than tornadoes.

Other places get stronger winds than OKC, just more occasionally.

Not once during this winter in OKC have the winds been so strong that they rattled my windows and I couldn't sleep. But there are pockets of Orange County, California (where I lived) where I couldn't sleep because the wind rattled the windows all night long.
You have not hit the storm season yet. And maybe your current house doesn't have rattly windows?

Old 03-11-2020, 05:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,935,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You have not hit the storm season yet. And maybe your current house doesn't have rattly windows?
No, it's an apartment. At least 15-20 years old. Windows are cheaper than the ones my house back in California had.

My point is, I've seen plenty of stronger winds in Trabuco Canyon than in OKC in the winter.

You have said that Santa Ana winds are not that common. That is not true. On average, there are 10-30 Santa Ana winds per year, and each time they last 1-3 days on average. So there's Santa Ana winds for 30 days ever year, on average. And Santa Ana winds don't happen in four months: May, June, July, August. So all those 30 days happen within eight months, meaning that one out of every eight days there will be winds.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig2_232804600

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._of_California

Santa Ana winds can be highly variable, based on year, though. A rainy winter like 2018-2019 will have less Santa Ana winds. A dry winter like 2013-2014 will have more.

Also, coastal areas have weaker winds, while canyon areas (like Robinson Ranch) will have stronger winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather