Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 11:54 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,866,085 times

Advertisements

I know there are plenty of people who just prefer cold or cool weather and maybe even more who hate the heat.

Personally I enjoy weather from the 50s to 90s Fahrenheit with my preference being 70s and 80s.

I can understand people who dislike hot weather because they don't like to sweat. I sweat a lot and it's annoying to have to change clothing frequently or wear certain fabrics but I also enjoy the warmth enough to make up for it.

Weather in the 40s to 60s is great for running, cycling, hiking and these sort of things whereas 70s to 90s is good for walking, swimming and going slow and taking it easy.

I frankly cannot see the appeal of weather colder than this outside of special interest cold-weather hobbies.

I am comfortable walking around city in a tee shirt and jeans down to about the 50s (depending on wind / sun). Below that I will have to walk briskly or I will feel cold.

For people who like 0 degree F weather and colder, what do you enjoy about it? Do you like having to wear so many clothes to be comfortable outside just to take them off indoors? Does your nose not run and eyes not water from the wind? Do you find the cold to be energizing in some way (I can sort of see this - walking to work on a cold morning can jolt you awake)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 01:14 AM

679 posts, read 360,472 times
Most people here like cold, because of snow. They could go skiing or skating. And yes, moderate cold (-10 - 0°C) feels refreshing. Strong cold doesn't allow to catch an infection.
My nose usually runs in wet 0 - 10°C, not in -10 - 0°C. And cold weather could be without wind.
My preferred temperature for swimming is 20-25°C air temperature and 22-28°C water temperature. I prefer walking and going slow in 16-24°C and running, hiking and cycling in 13-20°C. And I like wearing coat. I can't make use of temperatures >25°C

Old 03-14-2020, 03:32 AM

3,194 posts, read 1,292,211 times
Cold weather (below 0°F) is awesome if you get dressed properly.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 AM

1,503 posts, read 918,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
Most people here like cold, because of snow. They could go skiing or skating. And yes, moderate cold (-10 - 0°C) feels refreshing. Strong cold doesn't allow to catch an infection.
My nose usually runs in wet 0 - 10°C, not in -10 - 0°C. And cold weather could be without wind.
My preferred temperature for swimming is 20-25°C air temperature and 22-28°C water temperature. I prefer walking and going slow in 16-24°C and running, hiking and cycling in 13-20°C. And I like wearing coat. I can't make use of temperatures >25°C
Perhaps it is a cultural thing? I'm originally from South Africa and now live in England. In both places people generally don't like cold weather, except sometimes for the novelty of snow. Of course everyone is difference, but there's definitely a general dislike of cold weather.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:49 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,881,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Perhaps it is a cultural thing? I'm originally from South Africa and now live in England. In both places people generally don't like cold weather, except sometimes for the novelty of snow. Of course everyone is difference, but there's definitely a general dislike of cold weather.

Try joining netweather.tv and you'll find that British weather fans (as opposed to the general public) are OBSESSED about not only cold and snow, but cold weather in summer as well! You even get people moaning about how a normal British summer is "too hot and humid". I wish I was joking. I used to get in big arguments with people on there about this, especially when they'd cherry pick cold charts 10 days in the future in the middle of May, for Goodness sake. Now I just put such folk on ignore. Not because of them liking cold, but when they would post cold charts in the middle of summer just to wind folk up. Funny place, netweather.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post

It may sound strange for you, but many Russians like cold and sunny winters with snow and warm and sunny summers with thunderstorms (Dfa, Dfb - humid continental climates). But there are people who like cloudy climates, who like mediterranean climates, who like humid subtropical, who like oceanic climates and so on.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:36 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,465,713 times
0F and lower are just awesome temperatures, that's all there is to it.

At -20C, you go outside, you take a whiff of the air and it pierces deep down into your lungs. Your face also goes numb pretty quickly; it's exhilarating and energizing. You need pretty heavy gloves to do any activities.

By -30C, you can feel your nostrils freeze, your eyebrows and your eyelashes too, by this point the scenery is usually snowy and white and it's just awesome to be outside doing stuff. It's also fun researching and buying the kind of gear necessary to stay outside in those temps for extended periods.

By -40C, a cloud basically comes out of your face whenever you breathe, there's often heavy ice fog and everything has rime ice glued to its surface; just breathtaking. Breathing feels heavy and forced, you really have to try to get the air in and out, and it's freaking awesome.

-50C, right now that's just a dream for me, but someday I hope to experience it, -60C as well.

-70C... well that's just too damn cold, even for me. According to urban legends from Siberia, your spit will freeze before hitting the ground.

Last edited by Shalop; 03-14-2020 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
0F and lower are just awesome temperatures, that's all there is to it.

At -20C, you go outside, you take a whiff of the air and it pierces deep down into your lungs. Your face also goes numb pretty quickly; it's exhilarating and energizing. You need pretty heavy gloves to do any activities.

By -30C, you can feel your nostrils freeze, your eyebrows and your eyelashes too, by this point the scenery is usually snowy and white and it's just awesome to be outside doing stuff. It's also fun researching and buying the kind of gear necessary to stay outside in those temps for extended periods.

By -40C, a cloud basically comes out of your face whenever you breathe, there's often heavy ice fog and everything has rime ice glued to its surface; just breathtaking. Breathing feels heavy and forced, you really have to try to get the air in and out, and it's freaking awesome.

-50C, right now that's just a dream for me, but someday I hope to experience it, -60C as well.

-70C... well that's just too damn cold, even for me. According to urban legends from Siberia, your spit will freeze before hitting the ground.

-70°C almost never occurs in Northern hemisphere. It could occurs only in Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk. In Southern hemisphere it can occurs sometimes in some places, like Vostok, South Pole and so on.
And you are really very cold-tolerant. I can't go outdoors if temperature <-20°C.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Cold weather (below 0°F) is awesome if you get dressed properly.
A Norwegian friend once told me that there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:28 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,465,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
-70°C almost never occurs in Northern hemisphere. It could occurs only in Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk. In Southern hemisphere it can occurs sometimes in some places, like Vostok, South Pole and so on.
And you are really very cold-tolerant. I can't go outdoors if temperature <-20°C.

-70c also happens on the north central Greenland ice sheet. Or at least very likely. High mountains like Denali also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather