Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
It's difficult to look at maps like this and conclude that Gravesend, Kent, is anything but among the mildest parts of the UK.
I didn't say it wasn't mild, compared to the rest of the UK, but it isn't one of the mildest areas. As I have already said central London & the south coast are the mildest areas & these are the only areas where you will find Washingtonias & CIDP's growing un-protected, long term. The proof is where you find these palms growing & have been growing for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 11:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Insufficient water can often be behind poor performance - I've got two types of Sabals, and they virtually standstill without water.

Also doubtful about the claim that Sabals need heat, if they're still producing growth in May

Old 04-01-2020, 11:56 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I didn't say it wasn't mild, compared to the rest of the UK, but it isn't one of the mildest areas. As I have already said central London & the south coast are the mildest areas & these are the only areas where you will find Washingtonias & CIDP's growing un-protected, long term. The proof is where you find these palms growing & have been growing for many years.
I suppose it depends whether you're considering top 10% or top 1% mildest. From my POV "mildest" means top 10%. The top 1% I would describe as the "very mildest". No big deal really.

On another note, I understand that in 2010 they planted upwards of 100 palms at Southend-on-Sea along the Western Esplanade. It seems they struggled at first but it I gather they're still around. Are they filifera?

Photo was taken in April 2018.

Source: https://twitter.com/SouthendBC

Old 04-01-2020, 11:58 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
Quote:
Yeah it's likely a hybrid. There are quite a few trunking sized Washingtonias in the UK, again only in the very mildest areas, you can see photos of some of them that have been posted on the International & European Palm Societies forums.
I think you can tell it's at least got some filifera parentage as the leaves are more deeply cut (less fan like), more drooping and greyer green, and the trunk is thicker than as a pure robusta.

There are a few juvenile ones near here in Bath. They're looking pretty good coming out of winter so it will be interesting seeing how they do.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Washingtonias are an endangered species around here - very few here now, compared to 10 years ago

Old 04-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Washingtonias are an endangered species around here - very few here now, compared to 10 years ago
Why is that? Something killing them off?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:00 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Insufficient water can often be behind poor performance - I've got two types of Sabals, and they virtually standstill without water.

Also doubtful about the claim that Sabals need heat, if they're still producing growth in May
That's interesting. Is the following untrue then?

Quote:
It is also important to keep in mind that similar climactic zones are not created equal, especially when it comes to palms. A Zone 7b in Washington State is not the same as a Zone 7b in North Carolina. The Washington State Zone 7b never gets much in the way of summer heat, while the North Carolina Zone 7b gets more than its share. Summer heat develops sugars in the plants, which translate into better winter hardiness. Palms, such as Sabal palmetto that originate in warm climates may survive fine in a North Carolina Zone 7b, but have no chance in a West Coast Zone 7b. The converse is true as well since palms such as Trachycarpus fortunei, which is from a colder region may actually be more winter hardy in a West Coast, cool-summer climate.
Source: https://www.plantdelights.com/blogs/...m-tree-weather

If not Sabals, are there other palm species with similar cold hardiness but which do require summer heat to thrive?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Well in the cool summer climate of the UK they are extremely slow growing & rainfall isn't normally a problem there. Have heard from some people growing them that they have tried watering more & even watering with warm water & they still are very very slow. The same is true of Queen palms, they just do not grow in the UK despite surviving winters in the mildest spots.

It may be more that mean temperatures are too low for too long, rather than absolute maximum temperatures. Maybe they need mean temperatures to be at a certain level for a certain length of time to allow them to be "kick started" into growing?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I suppose it depends whether you're considering top 10% or top 1% mildest. From my POV "mildest" means top 10%. The top 1% I would describe as the "very mildest". No big deal really.

On another note, I understand that in 2010 they planted upwards of 100 palms at Southend-on-Sea along the Western Esplanade...but it I gather they're still around. Are they filifera?

Photo was taken in April 2018.

Source: https://twitter.com/SouthendBC
I was really meaning the mildest as in places where those palms can be considered "long term hardy". Gravesend is mild but it can record quite cold minimums from time to time & it can also get a lot of snow in that location. It is however often one of the warmest parts of the UK in terms of summer maximums.

Those palms in Southend are Trachycarpus fortunei. They were planted as mature palms & are still alive but like most Trachycarpus grown by the sea look a mess, they really need to be planted away from salt spray & strong winds in general.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well in the cool summer climate of the UK they are extremely slow growing & rainfall isn't normally a problem there. Have heard from some people growing them that they have tried watering more & even watering with warm water & they still are very very slow. The same is true of Queen palms, they just do not grow in the UK despite surviving winters in the mildest spots.

It may be more that mean temperatures are too low for too long, rather than absolute maximum temperatures. Maybe they need mean temperatures to be at a certain level for a certain length of time to allow them to be "kick started" into growing?
That sounds quite plausible. Much like coconut palms can grow in climates that have the occasional very light frost such as parts of southern Florida if the winter average highs get at least into the low 20s C, but are guaranteed to fail in climates that never freeze but just don't get enough heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather