Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is a Tropical Climate?
A) A climate above specific thresholds of both minimum temperature and precipitation (like A-type from Köppen) 5 23.81%
B) A climate above a specific thermal threshold, no matter the precipitation. 9 42.86%
C) A low latitude climate above a specific precipitation threshold, no matter the temperature 3 14.29%
D) A low latitude climate, roughly defined by its occurrence between the tropics. 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 09:02 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times

Advertisements

There have been loads of threads on what the heck a Subtropical climate is and all of them have been going on in circles for a while.

I think it’s been stated many times that classifications and definitions on this matter are very subjective, and highly dependent on the authors who treated them, albeit following some essential geographical concepts as a starting point.

Whatever, I guess we should define what a tropical climate is in a first place in order to later define more clearly a consequent term such as subtropical. This might be a good exercise to see what we can, may or should focus on when we group climates.

In this question I don’t care about actual thresholds, but the parameters used to give a definition.

- If we define it as A, Singapore is tropical, but not Jeddah nor Quito. In this case, a tropical climate is defined by both Air circulation and Temperature.

- If we define it as B, both Singapore and Jeddah are tropical, but not Quito. In this case, a tropical climate is defined by Temperature.

- If we define it as C, both Singapore and Quito are tropical, but not Jeddah. In this case, a tropical climate is defined by Air circulation.

- If we define it as D, Singapore, Jeddah and Quito are all of them tropical. In this case, a tropical climate is defined by Basic Geography or Geodesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 10:15 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
I will say A. Only Singapore has a tropical climate. The reason being Jeddah is too dry to grow tropical plant species without irrigation. It only has desert species like dates and Quito is too cool year round for tropical plants like mangosteens. You need moisture and the proper temperature IMO.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times
I'm not sure a definition based strictly on temperature and precipitation thresholds is sufficient.

To me, a tropical climate is one that is continuously under the influence of synoptic-scale tropical systems. That is to say, the weather is determined by entities such as trade winds, the ICTZ, etc., and it is immune to extra-tropical phenomena such as cold fronts and wave cyclones.

As such I could see a wide variety of different temperature and precipitation regimes being fully tropical.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
I say B, as tropical deserts do exist

Old 04-11-2020, 02:15 PM

1,503 posts, read 913,885 times
I would say B as systems with more categories such as Holdridge life zones show all combinations of temperature and precipitation from tropical rainforest (hot/wet) and tropical desert (hot-dry) to rain tundra (cold-wet) and dry tundra (cold-dry).

Systems like Koppen simplify things by regarding arid climates as primarily defined by their aridity with temperature less important (hence only two temperature divisions) and cold climates totally defined by their coldness (no precipitation divisions). But I think this is only to simplify things.

In common usage though "tropical" does often exclude arid climates.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:42 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
In the tropical spectrum, Koppen's is quite ok (miracously), at least in general.

In my personal system:

warm climates grade 1

Tropical (W1t): annual Txº>=23ºC, Pp>=500mm

- Ecuatorial (“rainforest”) (W1te): only a month with Txº<20ºC; Pp>=2000m fairly distributed
- Seasonal (“wet and dry”) (W1ts): Top 3 rainest months with a 100% more Pp than the top 3 driest.
- Seasonal Variable (W1tv): W1ts with three extra and consecutive rainest months (non consecutive with the top 3) whose
Pp amount is <50% below the top 3 rainest.
- Moonson (W1tm): W1ts with a driest month of <50mm

Old 04-11-2020, 08:29 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I will say A. Only Singapore has a tropical climate. The reason being Jeddah is too dry to grow tropical plant species without irrigation. It only has desert species like dates and Quito is too cool year round for tropical plants like mangosteens. You need moisture and the proper temperature IMO.
Jeddah is too dry to grow anything period without irrigation. Desert/xeric vegetation and tropical vegetation are not mutually exclusive and there are several dry tropical biomes. Dates are also not a true xeric plant like cacti and will not grow in the desert unless near an underground source of water or irrigated, that's why you only find them in oases and not in the middle of the Arabian desert. Looking at pictures of Jeddah, it would seem coconuts and dates are about equally as common.

The seashore around Jeddah is the epitome of tropical. Coral reefs in the Red Sea are one of the most well preserved and biodiverse coral reefs in the world.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
I would say B, and a coldest month of 18 C / 64 F or warmer seems to be a good cut-off for tropical. I would call something with a coldest month of about 24 C / 75 F or warmer "equatorial" or "super-tropical" or something like that. These climates are hot year-round.

As for precipitation, I've always said that the B climate (arid) grouping under Koppen is unnecessary and precipitation should be considered a classification off of temperature. For instance, a tropical desert climate would be a climate with a tropical temperature regime, but arid. (Same with subtropical desert, humid continental desert, etc).

Old 04-12-2020, 01:41 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Would you consider Hawaii to have a tropical climate?
There are wet areas and dry areas, and 13,000 ft mountains, all on the same island, just a couple hours apart.
I voted for the geographical definition.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:51 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
There is ONE reason why Tropical climates are called 'Tropical' & if you realise why then you will know that Tropical has very 'set in stone' bounderies (literally). Places that have Tropical like climates but are not in the Tropics are called sub-tropical, these are (for obvious reasons) far more difficult to interprate and therefore define.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather